fewer children in hospital with covid during omicron wave

Started by Thomas, January 23, 2022, 10:31:29 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on January 25, 2022, 08:44:06 AM
see john of gwents post. you simply can't read links or understand the data.
The graphic for 0-4 age in the ONS data is so clear even you can read it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on January 25, 2022, 08:31:30 AM
That is not the same as the latest ONS data.
see john of gwents post. you simply cant read links or understand the data.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Thomas

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on January 24, 2022, 08:22:52 AM
Fewer children in pediatric beds than a month ago

Throughout the winter months, we get a weekly update on the number of children in pediatric beds. The total number of children in hospital remained flat and then fell as we headed into the Christmas period, with fewer admissions for some planned medical procedures. As we moved into the new year, numbers have increased slightly but still down on last month. So the Omicron wave of Covid-19 has not led to more children in hospital.

Children with Covid-19 in hospital has risen in recent weeks
Since the middle of December, as the Omicron variant spread significantly in England, the average daily number of children admitted to hospital with Covid-18 has increased. In the seven days to 10 January, there were on average 120-130 admissions to hospital of children with Covid-19.
But against this backdrop of increasing admissions with Covid-19, the total number of children in hospital overall is lower over the past month. So how do we see a rise in admissions with Covid but no overall rise in the total number of children in hospitals?
Those included as a Covid-19 in the official figures are anyone admitted who either tested positive for the virus in the 14 days before admission or during their stay in hospital. So someone admitted to hospital for a non-COVID reason but then later tests positive, becomes an admission.
With increasing numbers of people in hospital with Covid-19 but are in for other reasons, it is likely we are picking up more children with Covid-19 in the admissions numbers, who would have been in hospital anyway.
What is the source for that please?

Thomas

Throughout the winter months, we get a weekly update on the number of children in pediatric beds. The total number of children in hospital remained flat and then fell as we headed into the Christmas period, with fewer admissions for some planned medical procedures. As we moved into the new year, numbers have increased slightly but still down on last month. So the Omicron wave of Covid-19 has not led to more children in hospital.

Children with Covid-19 in hospital has risen in recent weeks
Since the middle of December, as the Omicron variant spread significantly in England, the average daily number of children admitted to hospital with Covid-18 has increased. In the seven days to 10 January, there were on average 120-130 admissions to hospital of children with Covid-19.
But against this backdrop of increasing admissions with Covid-19, the total number of children in hospital overall is lower over the past month. So how do we see a rise in admissions with Covid but no overall rise in the total number of children in hospitals?
Those included as a Covid-19 in the official figures are anyone admitted who either tested positive for the virus in the 14 days before admission or during their stay in hospital. So someone admitted to hospital for a non-COVID reason but then later tests positive, becomes an admission.
With increasing numbers of people in hospital with Covid-19 but are in for other reasons, it is likely we are picking up more children with Covid-19 in the admissions numbers, who would have been in hospital anyway.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 24, 2022, 01:05:06 AM
I don't know why I bother but the link you refer to gives this graph, 
I was  not referring to that graph but the detail for each age group separated out. That shows a recent increase in hospitalisations for children aged 0-4, it rose sharply around last Christmas and peaked on the 16th of January.

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 24, 2022, 01:05:06 AM
I don't know why I bother but the link you refer to gives this graph, figures to match and then summarises by stating that while the number of children catching the pox is X, the number hospitalised as a result is barely noticeable

Which far from being "at odds" with the OP does rather seem to me to agree entirely with the main thrust, which points to Omicron being little more than an annoying sniffle for some age groups ...
john you cant tell him.

The golden rule when pappy posts a link claiming it says somthing is to read it ( if you can be bothered) as normally 9 out 10 times he hasnt read beyond the headline and the links contents normally says the opposite to what he claims.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on January 23, 2022, 01:39:35 PM
You did not read the bit about children I suspect deliberately.  You scrolled past it.

I don't know why I bother but the link you refer to gives this graph, figures to match and then summarises by stating that while the number of children catching the pox is X, the number hospitalised as a result is barely noticeable 

Which far from being "at odds" with the OP does rather seem to me to agree entirely with the main thrust, which points to Omicron being little more than an annoying sniffle for some age groups ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on January 23, 2022, 01:55:34 PM
I suspect you live in a world where you are convinced bullshine baffles brains.
I merely referenced that latest data from the ONS and there is no need whatsoever for you to make a personal attack on me.

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on January 23, 2022, 01:39:35 PM
You did not read the bit about children I suspect deliberately.  You scrolled past it.
I suspect you live in a world where you are convinced bullshine baffles brains.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on January 23, 2022, 01:22:37 PM
CHILDREN!
He talks about cognitive dissonance, too.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on January 23, 2022, 11:59:38 AM
That appears to be at odds with the ONS:-

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/hospitals

Scroll down this I can't copy and paste the charts:- COVID-19 positive admissions in [highlight]those over 85 years[/highlight] were at a half of January 2021 level

COVID-19-positive hospital admissions as a percentage of the rate during the January peak (rate in week ending 17 January = 100%), by age, England
CHILDREN!
He talks about cognitive dissonance, too.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on January 23, 2022, 10:31:29 AM
Fewer children in hospital through the Omicron wave
Covid19 / January 13, 2022
Evidence indicates that Omicron is less likely to result in an admission to a hospital. Last week I wrote that Covid-19 was not leading to a rise in children in hospital. With two weeks more data, how has the situation changed with the Omicron variant causing significant numbers of cases?

https://www.statsjamie.co.uk/children-in-hospital/
That appears to be at odds with the ONS:-

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/articles/coronaviruscovid19latestinsights/hospitals

Scroll down this I can't copy and paste the charts:- COVID-19 positive admissions in those over 85 years were at a half of January 2021 level

COVID-19-positive hospital admissions as a percentage of the rate during the January peak (rate in week ending 17 January = 100%), by age, England

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on January 23, 2022, 10:31:29 AM
Fewer children in hospital through the Omicron wave
Covid19 / January 13, 2022
Evidence indicates that Omicron is less likely to result in an admission to a hospital. Last week I wrote that Covid-19 was not leading to a rise in children in hospital. With two weeks more data, how has the situation changed with the Omicron variant causing significant numbers of cases?

https://www.statsjamie.co.uk/children-in-hospital/

Good. The first rule of any civilised society is the protection of its women and young. What is left can go F@@@ itself.
Algerie Francais !