Freedom of information

Started by T00ts, January 24, 2022, 11:49:08 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on January 24, 2022, 11:49:08 AMIt was Blair's Government I think which introduced the Freedom of Information Act as far as I can remember, but ever since I just wonder if it has been a good thing.
I bet you are, with all the shenanigans of your lot lately. Would be so much better if we knew nothing about it, eh? But better for whom?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

Oh, diddums, sounds like the Tories are finding the FIA rather inconvenient at the moment.
The thing is, they work for us, not for themselves, so we, the people, need to see if they are doing the right things and/or providing value for money.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 24, 2022, 11:49:08 AM
It was Blair's Government I think which introduced the Freedom of Information Act as far as I can remember, but ever since I just wonder if it has been a good thing. Do we really need the ability to dig into the affairs of everything sometimes it seems just because we can?

"We" do need to dig into matters where the government, ministries  of government and government policies and incompetence are doing harm to citizens of Britain. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

It was Blair's Government I think which introduced the Freedom of Information Act as far as I can remember, but ever since I just wonder if it has been a good thing. Do we really need the ability to dig into the affairs of everything sometimes it seems just because we can?

I just wonder if life wouldn't be a bit more elegant if those paid to turn up dirt didn't have it quite so easy. It might be better if we can trust those who dig to be truthful about what they discover but with so many vested interests now I just wonder if we would be better without it.