Is anyone surprised? Ukraine invaded

Started by T00ts, January 24, 2022, 01:31:11 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on February 22, 2022, 01:46:30 PM
As far as I can see Putin operates under a system of enlightened gangsterism, so I reckon that I will stay with the UK's.
I forgot to answer the bit about Gerry,you wouldn't need a brigade just let Gerry bombard Vlad on the virtues of the eu and Vlad just might shoot himself. :D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on February 22, 2022, 01:36:29 PM
Well lets hope that's where it stops,Vlad attracts a lot of support on here while the west gets another good slapping.

The question you have to ask is which would you rather live under,our system for all its faults or Vlads?
As far as I can see Putin operates under a system of enlightened gangsterism, so I reckon that I will stay with the UK's.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on February 22, 2022, 01:11:16 PM
As far as I can see Ollie, Donetsk and Luhansk are border areas that have been fighting for independence for nearly a decade. Together they have a population of not much more than a million, many of whom are, as you have noted, Russian. So with a bit of luck both sides will accept the situation as a fait accompli and matters will blow over. Failing that, possibly we could set up an international brigade and send Gerry off to defend the gallant little Ukraine? He would probably get lost, poor little sod, but at least  he would have an excuse for not doing his homework.
:)
Well lets hope that's where it stops,Vlad attracts a lot of support on here while the west gets another good slapping.

The question you have to ask is which would you rather live under,our system for all its faults or Vlads?

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on February 22, 2022, 12:54:10 AM
The 64 thousand $ question Borky,dangerous times.

As far as I can see Ollie, Donetsk and Luhansk are border areas that have been fighting for independence for nearly a decade. Together they have a population of not much more than a million, many of whom are, as you have noted, Russian. So with a bit of luck both sides will accept the situation as a fait accompli and matters will blow over. Failing that, possibly we could set up an international brigade and send Gerry off to defend the gallant little Ukraine? He would probably get lost, poor little sod, but at least  he would have an excuse for not doing his homework.
:)
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on February 22, 2022, 12:14:22 AM
I suppose the question is will Putin settle for just Donetsk and Luhansk. Neither are much in terms of area or population but....

I think he will for this week.

Hes seen how the EU works its ratchet of grabbing sovereignty little by little, and needs to remind them who runs the master class on such.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Good old

Quote from: Thomas on February 22, 2022, 07:51:04 AM
What are you talking about now?

There was a civil war in ireland , and further , after the disgracefull partition of a country , the setting up of a sectarian apartheid state , the disgracefull termination of human rights , a  second civil war did break out what we now call the troubles over a thirty year period. Within the lifetime of many on this forum.

Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

As i said putin however right or wrong isnt going to take lecture in morality from nations like the usa and yours who have practiced the doctrine of might is right for many years in many lands.

We dont have to drag up the history of wrongs in irealnd to see currently as i said both the uk and usa are in total breach of the UN security council over the chagos islands.

Blind to what is happening and has  happened under your own nose while screaming about the ususal bogeymen.

Let the international community step in through the UN and other acceopted channels rather than the warmongers of the west the yanks and thier poodles.

The usual arrogant response ,but never mind . You always look for the diversion.
As ever with you, distortion of everything said to you. One could say there had been civil war in Ireland, since virtually forever. So when I say civil war was prevented I refer to the fact that a full scale confrontation was avoided.
At no point do I condone British, actions in Ireland, recent or in the distant past.
None of this makes what Putin is conducting in Ukraine ,right for him to do. Any more than it stood up as an excuse for Hitler, to invade Poland. If you want to think it does ,then it becomes open season. You refer to Ireland as an example. Russia , has through most of its history, disputed everyone of its European boundaries ,on the basis of who lives there. It has invariably led to conflict. And here we go again. You should tell Putin to let the UN step in.
Oh to late ,he has stepped in. 

Sheepy

Quote from: Sampanviking on February 22, 2022, 09:21:45 AM
The Russian moves sounds like good old R2P to me
With this and the general withdrawal of Western political influences out of the country and relocation of the Ukrainian political class to Lvov in the far West of the Country, with the Ukrainian army left under no illusions that it is on its own, the question is whether more of the Russian speaking areas (that were beaten down very hard back in 2014) will now create militia;s of their own and create new Peoples Republics and ask for Russian recognition and protection.
I guess I must be right then, at heart Vlad will always be a Russian first and foremost, I cannot see that going down well in certain circles. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sampanviking

The Russian moves sounds like good old R2P to me
With this and the general withdrawal of Western political influences out of the country and relocation of the Ukrainian political class to Lvov in the far West of the Country, with the Ukrainian army left under no illusions that it is on its own, the question is whether more of the Russian speaking areas (that were beaten down very hard back in 2014) will now create militia;s of their own and create new Peoples Republics and ask for Russian recognition and protection.

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on February 22, 2022, 07:51:04 AMWhat are you talking about now?
What he is normally talking about, the good old alternative reality. 

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on February 22, 2022, 12:54:10 AM
The dangerous times started when somebody decided it was time for regime change and created the Maiden. 

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on February 21, 2022, 08:28:20 PMMany would, and did at the time say that the NI settlement in 1922 prevented a civil war.
What are you talking about now?

There was a civil war in ireland , and further , after the disgracefull partition of a country , the setting up of a sectarian apartheid state , the disgracefull termination of human rights , a  second civil war did break out what we now call the troubles over a thirty year period. Within the lifetime of many on this forum.

Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

As i said putin however right or wrong isnt going to take lecture in morality from nations like the usa and yours who have practiced the doctrine of might is right for many years in many lands.

We dont have to drag up the history of wrongs in irealnd to see currently as i said both the uk and usa are in total breach of the UN security council over the chagos islands.

Blind to what is happening and has  happened under your own nose while screaming about the ususal bogeymen.

Let the international community step in through the UN and other acceopted channels rather than the warmongers of the west the yanks and thier poodles.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on February 22, 2022, 12:14:22 AM
Clearly not the time to rely on Dead Joe.

I suppose the question is will Putin settle for just Donetsk and Luhansk. Neither are much in terms of area or population but....

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on February 21, 2022, 11:35:13 PM
Well Vlad has shown his hand,like I said a while back wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Mind this is down to Dopey Joe,he showed the Yanks had no fight any more  and Vlad supported by China took advantage.

Large Russian minorities were installed in many former soviet states not least the Baltic statesin a process of Russification,depends how far this all goes.

Clearly not the time to rely on Dead Joe.

Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Well Vlad has shown his hand,like I said a while back wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Mind this is down to Dopey Joe,he showed the Yanks had no fight any more  and Vlad supported by China took advantage.

Large Russian minorities were installed in many former soviet states not least the Baltic statesin a process of Russification,depends how far this all goes.