People's vote brag on Twitter

Started by Barry, December 28, 2019, 04:57:26 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11546 time=1577647417 user_id=58
:lol:

i know its the holiday period borkie but int politics boring at the minute?

Missed that bit Tommy.

You are right, politics is boring and will remain that way for a while.

The problems are Brexit and Indy2. Both are no doubt important but there are only so many ways either can be made interesting and a lot of that is due to Wee Krankie and Boris. Both are hard cases, both have taken pains to make sure their supporters stay in line so neither are likely to permit the sort of party infighting that produces interesting headlines.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11546 time=1577647417 user_id=58

I was hoping for a nice conservative scandal or two while waiting about for the next brexit instalment.

Did you have a good christmas?

Not bad actually Tommy. Stuffed my face, fixed the loo and watched Get Shorty (the John Travolta movie and the last couple of episodes of the TV series with Chris O'Dowd). You get very quiet and sad as you grow older.

We don't have conservative scandals. The Tories are a mirror image of the SNP, which is bracing itself for Alex Salmond's  trial on various counts of sexual misconduct. We Tories would be astonished if Boris makes it to 9 March without being accused of trying his luck with various nubile ladies. If we had wanted a boring b*stard as PM we would have voted for Wurzel.

Anyway, how was your Christmas?
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester post_id=11541 time=1577631296 user_id=62
I went on a Women Against Brexit march a while back. My daughter was there so my wife wanted to see my daughter and I went because she (my wife) is on crutches and I was worried that she might fall arse over tea kettle. My granddaughters were there because they had been promised a trip to Oxford Street and my daughter was there because her new girl friend is an anti Brexit nut.  So if the figures were extrapolated, one sixth of the marchers were anti Brexit, one sixth were pro, one third wanted to catch up on the family gossip and one third were just there to find some pretty frocks.

All these demos and such are fun, but not to be taken seriously.

I was hoping for a nice conservative scandal or two while waiting about for the next brexit instalment.

Did you have a good christmas?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=11485 time=1577552246 user_id=51
This year by the numbers]

And the result? A lot of angst and delay followed by a massive fail. Goodbye people's vote, we had one in 2016.  :hattip

I went on a Women Against Brexit march a while back. My daughter was there so my wife wanted to see my daughter and I went because she (my wife) is on crutches and I was worried that she might fall arse over tea kettle. My granddaughters were there because they had been promised a trip to Oxford Street and my daughter was there because her new girl friend is an anti Brexit nut.  So if the figures were extrapolated, one sixth of the marchers were anti Brexit, one sixth were pro, one third wanted to catch up on the family gossip and one third were just there to find some pretty frocks.

All these demos and such are fun, but not to be taken seriously.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=11535 time=1577629154 user_id=103
The argument is over now, at least for the time being.  The general election has put Brexit firmly in the hands of the Tory Party, which seems intent on leaving.

As a remainer I think that the battle for a second vote was worthwhile and although there wasn't a second referendum we did have the next best thing, a general election with Brexit as the main issue. In terms of the electoral system we use, that gave a decisive result, which I never believed the 2016 referendum did.  Brexiters went on and on about the 17.4 million people who voted 'leave' in a manner that implied that about 23 people voted remain, rather than the 16.1 million who actually did so.

Anyway that's all water under the bridge now and Brexit enters another chapter.  That doesn't make it a good thing in my book, but it looks somewhat inevitable.

:hattip My admiration sir!

Hyperduck Quack Quack

The argument is over now, at least for the time being.  The general election has put Brexit firmly in the hands of the Tory Party, which seems intent on leaving.

As a remainer I think that the battle for a second vote was worthwhile and although there wasn't a second referendum we did have the next best thing, a general election with Brexit as the main issue. In terms of the electoral system we use, that gave a decisive result, which I never believed the 2016 referendum did.  Brexiters went on and on about the 17.4 million people who voted 'leave' in a manner that implied that about 23 people voted remain, rather than the 16.1 million who actually did so.

Anyway that's all water under the bridge now and Brexit enters another chapter.  That doesn't make it a good thing in my book, but it looks somewhat inevitable.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=11519 time=1577615500 user_id=51
I assume you mean Ian Blackford who increased his majority to almost 10,000.

Yvette Cooper lost an awful lot of votes and if the Brexit party disappear at the next election AND the next 5 years go well, she will really struggle to keep her seat in 2024.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normanton,_Pontefract_and_Castleford_%28UK_Parliament_constituency%29">//https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normanton,_Pontefract_and_Castleford_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Thanks for the correction Barry - I'm not sure how that happened.  :roll:

Scott777

Quote from: Nick post_id=11495 time=1577561982 user_id=73
Not sure I believe all the remainer numbers, especially the 1 million on the march, some put the figure a lot lower but it just goes to show democracy will out.

All from London, half from EU countries.  The people making most effort were not citizens of the country they were complaining about.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Thomas

Quote from: Barry post_id=11519 time=1577615500 user_id=51

Yvette Cooper lost an awful lot of votes and if the Brexit party disappear at the next election AND the next 5 years go well, she will really struggle to keep her seat in 2024.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normanton,_Pontefract_and_Castleford_%28UK_Parliament_constituency%29">//https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normanton,_Pontefract_and_Castleford_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Cheers for that barry , she did lose a lot of votes didnt she? Down 21 points thats a lot.

Depends though how well the tories perform in government, and obviously also on the continuation of the fptp stitch up.

Things are looking very bleak for labour.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Barry

† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell post_id=11496 time=1577562158 user_id=48
Saw a piece by Soubry looking at the present intake to Westminster and how she's glad she's not there,us too sourpuss.

I think all those who showed a real contempt for the electorate and either created the chaos or stood against the majority decision of 2016 were ousted. Letwin, Soubrey, Amunna, Grieve, are just a few. Cooper I think is still there so it will be interesting to see just how relevant she and any others are in the New Year. Labour are in such a mess I will be surprised if they even manage to get time to sit in the Chamber. Libdems are also proven nonentities so it might be just Conservatives v SNP + 1 green + a few indies. That might be interesting if Landford can dig up a new speech. I'm a bit bored by his old one. Perhaps Thomas could help him out with a new twist.

johnofgwent

Saw a piece by Soubry looking at the present intake to Westminster and how she's glad she's not there,us too sourpuss.

Damn right

:dncg:  :hattip
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

:hattip
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Barry post_id=11485 time=1577552246 user_id=51
This year by the numbers]

And the result? A lot of angst and delay followed by a massive fail. Goodbye people's vote, we had one in 2016.  :hattip

Not sure I believe all the remainer numbers, especially the 1 million on the march, some put the figure a lot lower but it just goes to show democracy will out.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.