Breaking. Met Police launches investigation into Downing Street parties,

Started by papasmurf, January 25, 2022, 10:21:31 AM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 25, 2022, 01:33:42 PM
Thats fair enough  , a misdemeanour then which wont result in a prosecution .  Why are plod wasting their time and our taxes then ?
Because it is a covid breach. The punishment is a fine. So I suspect given this is a misdemeanor the hours spent on this is going to be a minimum so the time and cost to the tax payer is also at a minimum. Very much like getting caught by a speed camera. I suspect all the Met is doing now is compiling the evidence, filling in the paper work and then sending out the fines. It maybe over tomorrow. I don't know. But what I can be certain of is most of the investigation is going to be done by Sue Gray and not the Police.

Streetwalker

Quote from: B0ycey on January 25, 2022, 11:39:43 AM
Actually, it is all those in attendance including the PM if that party is deemed illegal. He however he will only have a penalty notice and not be prosecuted so won't be nicked.
Thats fair enough  , a misdemeanour then which wont result in a prosecution .  Why are plod wasting their time and our taxes then ?

B0ycey

Quote from: Barry on January 25, 2022, 12:51:10 PM
I'm so surprised more politicians have not died of Covid, with all this misbehaviour going on.
Perhaps. Although the issue isn't so much about safety but hypocrisy. Those who impose the rules are more subjected to them than someone who is told to follow them because they made them. And don't forget all those briefings we had that we had to follow the rules to save your gran and you couldn't even see them in a care home if they had dementia.

It is clear that BoJo and Downing Street were aware that Covid was a fucking overhyped nonsense by May (two months into lockdowns) and bent the rules because they thought they could get away with it as it was safe  Perhaps when the realisation came to him that he had jumped onto the bandwagon, he would have been better off just doing what he is doing now and breaking away from the hysteria the rest of the world are under and just state the bleeding obvious. The risk depends on your health and age and the decisions you make depend on your circumstances. There was nothing against guidance or mitigation of the virus. But we should never had gone into lockdowns and restrictions and when he realised that he should have snapped out of it. Instead he partied as everyone else was stook at home.

Good old

Police all over the place , visible and otherwise, in and around Downing Street. And yet they need Sue Grey, to alarm them.Puke

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on January 25, 2022, 12:51:10 PM
I'm so surprised more politicians have not died of Covid, with all this misbehaviour going on.

Considering all the partying going on I am surprised that there any members of the Tory party left (didn't realise the pun until I had finished typing)

Still, maybe that is the solution? Party away and burn away the covid?
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on January 25, 2022, 12:39:47 PM
It is parties 16 of them, the met are investigating eight. (So far.)
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60123850

Well, the police are going to investigate based on Ms Gray's report. Prepare to hear the Fun Prevention League in full cry and Starmer advocating communal kitchens and mugs of nettle tea all round.

I doubt that Rees Mogg wants to be PM and even if he is he is too nice. We will just end up with some contemptible pile of shit that will have us crawling on our hands and knees to the Whores of Brussels and begging for readmission and humiliation beyond the dreams of Islington.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 25, 2022, 11:31:56 AM
  The organiser of the party gets nicked , 
It is parties 16 of them, the met are investigating eight. (So far.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

B0ycey

Quote from: Good old on January 25, 2022, 11:58:31 AM
Let's hope the police don't take to long . But the question remains why this course was not taken earlier? Sue Greys report would have come today, tomorrow. Boris, would have got both barrels  whatever it contained.Not now. A quiet week or two now. I doubt anything can help them in the public eye, long term but , it keeps him from fronting up for a while yet.
A few weeks back the MET released a statement where if you cyphered it, it basically said they were waiting for the Sue Gray report to be released to see if there was enough evidence to issue fines. It has been the MET policy for a while now to not investigate historic Covid breaches. When Dick made her statement today there were three criteria that needed to be met in order to do that. So it shouldn't be surprising that the MET has only now decided to take action. And I suspect that comes down to Sue Gray. The MET has been in contract with Whitehall and Sue Gray for the past few weeks and clearly they have enough evidence now from her report to push this forward.

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on January 25, 2022, 11:33:38 AM
Because the whole debacle is like a junior school playground fight and should be beneath those elected to sit in HofC. These people were working together every day some hardly going home. The whole thing has been blown up to cause the most damage and is the most unworthy and likely nationally damaging row possible.
Give me strength! They would be better employed looking to stop the stabbings in the streets rather than help Labour stab the country's leaders.

It should have been below Boris, and Co to ignore their own rules set for the safety of the nation. Yes they may have been making sacrifices ,the whole nation was. Some to the extreme. This should have been a bog standard resignation issue, the whole nation can see that. Only one reason it is not is a PM supported by party members , that do not want to stand on the standards set in the past. The police are trying to uphold the law, nothing else. 

Good old

Quote from: B0ycey on January 25, 2022, 11:37:10 AM
Apparently Sue Gray is still allowed to continue her investigation and only the publication will be delayed. And really, the police investigation won't take that long given they surely must have all the information they need to hand out penalty notices right now. Once they have done that, the saga is over unless anyone challenges their notice but it should be said they will fail and we can expect a media storm on such stupidity that would go far beyond a report that only can establish facts and unable to offer a verdict as all evidence will have to be presented to the magistrates and released to the public to view.

Let's hope the police don't take to long . But the question remains why this course was not taken earlier? Sue Greys report would have come today, tomorrow. Boris, would have got both barrels  whatever it contained.Not now. A quiet week or two now. I doubt anything can help them in the public eye, long term but , it keeps him from fronting up for a while yet.

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on January 25, 2022, 11:33:38 AM
Give me strength! They would be better employed looking to stop the stabbings in the streets rather than help Labour stab the country's leaders.

In theory I agree. And in many ways BoJo is unlucky if he gets a fine. But nobody is above the law and the MET wouldn't be investigating this had in not been a slam dunk. Hardly any man hours will be put onto this case as Sue Gray would have done all the ground work. It wouldn't be a surprise to me if the penalty notices are sent out tomorrow.

B0ycey

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 25, 2022, 11:31:56 AM
  The organiser of the party gets nicked , that's not Boris as far as we know .  I think this is all turning into a witch hunt
Actually, it is all those in attendance including the PM if that party is deemed illegal. He however he will only have a penalty notice and not be prosecuted so won't be nicked.

B0ycey

Quote from: Good old on January 25, 2022, 11:26:38 AM
They might well have given him, another breathing space. Everyone waiting for Sue Grey, can now wait because no one can discuss this issue now until the police have finished. It has to be a question of why we would not trust the police.? This could have been done weeks ago so another question is why wasn't it?

Apparently Sue Gray is still allowed to continue her investigation and only the publication will be delayed. And really, the police investigation won't take that long given they surely must have all the information they need to hand out penalty notices right now. Once they have done that, the saga is over unless anyone challenges their notice but it should be said they will fail and we can expect a media storm on such stupidity that would go far beyond a report that only can establish facts and unable to offer a verdict as all evidence will have to be presented to the magistrates and released to the public to view.

T00ts

Quote from: Good old on January 25, 2022, 11:26:38 AM
They might well have given him, another breathing space. Everyone waiting for Sue Grey, can now wait because no one can discuss this issue now until the police have finished. It has to be a question of why we would not trust the police.? This could have been done weeks ago so another question is why wasn't it?
Because the whole debacle is like a junior school playground fight and should be beneath those elected to sit in HofC. These people were working together every day some hardly going home. The whole thing has been blown up to cause the most damage and is the most unworthy and likely nationally damaging row possible.

Quote from: B0ycey on January 25, 2022, 11:29:18 AM
It isn't the job for the MET to take down the government. It is their job to enforce the law. The government, or more specifically officials and attendees of those events deemed against the guidelines can expect penalty notices. We aren't going to see any court verdicts unless the silly buggers challenge their penalty notice. Because given the nature of this and the ambiguousness of excuses, you can be certain not all the parties will be deemed illegal and those that are the evidence will be strong enough to please the magistrates.

Give me strength! They would be better employed looking to stop the stabbings in the streets rather than help Labour stab the country's leaders.