Saving the dogs.

Started by Good old, January 26, 2022, 02:47:58 PM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on January 26, 2022, 06:22:04 PM
I think you are wrong here on so many counts. Up North today more people on the street didn't know what it was all about. Businesses were more bothered that Government had supported them in lockdown. You can hope but I think your best bet, since you have a plan all ready, is to apply for Starmer's job. It just might make PMQs watchable. You are right that repetition will happen but you forget that the general public actually don't care, get bored very easily, will turn off and will simply get mad with the single minded media who really can't get their heads around much other than Russia and BJ's cakes.

We are on political forums because it interests us. Normal people are really not interested and actually very bored.
Well it hasn't died down in Scotland. But Thomas will be happy. The talk is more about independence. Perhaps he can erect that statue.

As for Starmers job, well it isn't exactly something you can apply for. It is up to his advisors to see that last week BoJo stonewalled the partygate questions and work out how to counter that. Because I don't agree that people are disinterested on this story. But I do agree that they don't want the same questions asked each week. It reminds me of when Darling got on the front foot on the first round of TV debates of the Scottish independence debates over the pound. The second debate that was all he had and what happened was Salmond got on the front foot as he had better answers for the other issues. The same is true for Starmer. If all he has is partygate then he isn't addressing BoJos record that he keeps saying is a success but is really a failure as a response.

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on January 26, 2022, 06:01:01 PM
Dancing Dancing Don't they say 'if the cap fits' - or something?
So will that cap be asbestos? :P

Methinks remainers ecstacy is so premature and short lived and some who believe in brexit doth panic too much......T00ts,getting shut of Boris changes nowt and those blarting unicorns are in denial.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 26, 2022, 06:22:04 PM

We are on political forums because it interests us. Normal people are really not interested and actually very bored.
You have not met my neighbours, I could not possibly repeat what some of them have said about, Boris, George Useless, Derek Thomas, and especially Brexit. ( I was sorry I asked one of my neighbours, a fisherman, about the new stupid and costly regulations than are being introduced for small fishing boats. I definitely could not repeat his comments.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on January 26, 2022, 06:12:33 PM
Actually, there are some that are bored of this story, but there is still a lot of anger out there. This story will never go away. Every single election under BoJos premiership will reference this story. Even in three years, we will still be talking about this I can assure you. But I agree Starmer shouldn't just repeat the same question each week and get a stonewalled response when he has BoJo on the ropes. It was clear BoJo was going to reference his record and Starmer should have been ready to catch him out. He could have discussed all the questions he has about Sue Grays report when he actually has read it. And thats a lesson for him. Focus on Johnsons record and leave the Downing Street party scandal to weekly jokes now. Besides, we can expect BoJo to get a penalty notice and that in its self is a bonus.

As for who replaces Johnson, it should be said that it will be a Tory. You can say 'well Raab will take over until a leader has been elected and is he any better?' if you like and I would still say yes. BoJo is a pathological liar and not respected in Europe at a time we could do with improving relationships with them. And as Tories go the two main contenders which are Sunak and Truss have a much better approval rating with the Tory membership right now and both seem respected by other diplomatic leaders whi meet them. When the French journalists were asked whether Johnson should go, their response was they have no idea how he was elected to begin with.
I think you are wrong here on so many counts. Up North today more people on the street didn't know what it was all about. Businesses were more bothered that Government had supported them in lockdown. You can hope but I think your best bet, since you have a plan all ready, is to apply for Starmer's job. It just might make PMQs watchable. You are right that repetition will happen but you forget that the general public actually don't care, get bored very easily, will turn off and will simply get mad with the single minded media who really can't get their heads around much other than Russia and BJ's cakes.

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on January 26, 2022, 05:49:22 PM
People do forget as time makes them pragmatic and they lose interest. It only takes Starmer to keep pounding his same boring one track agenda and people will remember how really uninspired he is. I am still at the stage where I cannot find a candidate on either side of the House that has the ability to take the baton forward. I think you assume too much but don't blame you for your hopes, but it does smack of desperation.
Actually, there are some that are bored of this story, but there is still a lot of anger out there. This story will never go away. Every single election under BoJos premiership will reference this story. Even in three years, we will still be talking about this I can assure you. But I agree Starmer shouldn't just repeat the same question each week and get a stonewalled response when he has BoJo on the ropes. It was clear BoJo was going to reference his record and Starmer should have been ready to catch him out. He could have discussed all the questions he has about Sue Grays report when he actually has read it. And thats a lesson for him. Focus on Johnsons record and leave the Downing Street party scandal to weekly jokes now. Besides, we can expect BoJo to get a penalty notice and that in its self is a bonus.

As for who replaces Johnson, it should be said that it will be a Tory. You can say 'well Raab will take over until a leader has been elected and is he any better?' if you like and I would still say yes. BoJo is a pathological liar and not respected in Europe at a time we could do with improving relationships with them. And as Tories go the two main contenders which are Sunak and Truss have a much better approval rating with the Tory membership right now and both seem respected by other diplomatic leaders whi meet them. When the French journalists were asked whether Johnson should go, their response was they have no idea how he was elected to begin with.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on January 26, 2022, 05:51:37 PM
Me a hothead :D :D :D :P
Dancing Dancing Don't they say 'if the cap fits' - or something?

Borchester

Quote from: Good old on January 26, 2022, 02:47:58 PM
Does he ever stop.  He has denied this very publicly . Yet here we are again. In the age of the email you would think he would consider  just for once that it becomes a matter of record. For an intellectual it can only be absent mindedness . Or could it be the plain old arrogance of a man  that
Couldn't give a F—k for truth.?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60143279
Not too sure how much harm that will do Boris and a lot of folk in the UK will still put their dogs ahead of people.

Dominic Cummings is turning into a right little queanie.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on January 26, 2022, 03:54:31 PM
No. The thought that the Conservatives would lose against Starmer looks very doubtful to me even though the new 'rebel' northern MPs might be a bit precarious. We have had 2 years of Covid focus and to have expected everything to go along swimmingly is a bit perverse.
We do have a massive debt but again I am philosophical that despite the current reports the Cabinet and Treasury will have to make concessions before too many are forced under the weight of it. You see I don't see them as inhuman but timing is really important. They say a week is a long time in politics and we have a couple of months before a deadline. Things true now may well change in 8 weeks and the counter action change too. We would be quick to criticise Ministers for changing their minds if they act too soon. Dead wood you say? BJ is not dead wood. I do believe that he has the makings of a good PM but sadly he has made personnel and personal choices that have been misjudged to say the least. His time is up it's true but how this is done is most important.

The hotheaded 'he must resign, he must be driven out' is really short sighted in my view. I keep saying it but we need to be sensible and measured. Whatever course of action is chosen will take time and the general impatience in the modern ideal of wanting everything yesterday only throws us into more chaos. Patient, wise and balanced heads is what we all need.
Me a hothead :D :D :D :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on January 26, 2022, 05:42:23 PM
People don't forget T00ts. The Tories will have a disaster at May because they either will go Labour, Lib Dems or not bother. It is also a good protest vote. And Boris Johnson isn't your normal candidate. So I see little hope for him in two years in any case. But whatever. It is up to the opposition to attack his record and we are moving towards high inflation and a cost of living crisis. His record is going to be a hard sell every Wednesday. Because Starmer at PMQs should have avoided questions that Johnson could stonewall this week and actually address Johnsons record that was his goto response each time in any case.
People do forget as time makes them pragmatic and they lose interest. It only takes Starmer to keep pounding his same boring one track agenda and people will remember how really uninspired he is. I am still at the stage where I cannot find a candidate on either side of the House that has the ability to take the baton forward. I think you assume too much but don't blame you for your hopes, but it does smack of desperation.

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on January 26, 2022, 05:15:37 PM

As has been evident for some time. But I repeat, babies and bath water!

If it has come to pass that we don't even require our leaders to be clever enough to not get caught when they deceive us, to have no real perspective of truth and lie, and allow us to know that,  without fear of being rejected.
Then we have no chance of being led to a better world. So the only bath water we are throwing  out is covered in scum, and if left in it the babies can only be covered in that same scum.

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on January 26, 2022, 05:15:37 PM
If you are expecting the electorate to stay as they are now for long then you are probably mistaken. They are fickle and just as likely to turn on Labour next week. I have heard enough interviews in the street to doubt the hopes of the political anoraks, that Joe public is generally angry. Just as many want to see BJ through and recognise what he has done well. If you remember he won an election despite his lack of moral fibre.
Labour's only real hope is that they can continue to stir enough anger until May. Personally I doubt it. Even PMQs today tried the patience of many who are thoroughly fed up with the pantomime.
People don't forget T00ts. The Tories will have a disaster at May because they either will go Labour, Lib Dems or not bother. It is also a good protest vote. And Boris Johnson isn't your normal candidate. So I see little hope for him in two years in any case. But whatever. It is up to the opposition to attack his record and we are moving towards high inflation and a cost of living crisis. His record is going to be a hard sell every Wednesday. Because Starmer at PMQs should have avoided questions that Johnson could stonewall this week and actually address Johnsons record that was his goto response each time in any case.

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on January 26, 2022, 04:13:18 PM
Starmer vs Johnson is like Biden vs Trump. Ultimately you vote for the lesser evil rather than the party you want. And the polls give Labour a 10pt lead now. So given the anger, and I doubt it will ever disappear, Johnson remaining in power only damages the party the longer he clings on. So on that point I suspect there is no real issue for the opposition to get rid of him. Just focus on his record and make him accountable to it from now on.

As for him being a good PM or potential of being such, there are a number of qualities in a good leader and one is moral judgement. If he keeps making bad personal choices and surrounds himself with bad personnel, then that makes him a defacto bad leader.
If you are expecting the electorate to stay as they are now for long then you are probably mistaken. They are fickle and just as likely to turn on Labour next week. I have heard enough interviews in the street to doubt the hopes of the political anoraks, that Joe public is generally angry. Just as many want to see BJ through and recognise what he has done well. If you remember he won an election despite his lack of moral fibre. 
Labour's only real hope is that they can continue to stir enough anger until May. Personally I doubt it. Even PMQs today tried the patience of many who are thoroughly fed up with the pantomime.

Quote from: Good old on January 26, 2022, 05:14:34 PM
All the more reason to question his suitability to lead the nation.
As has been evident for some time. But I repeat, babies and bath water!

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on January 26, 2022, 02:53:41 PM
Sadly he has been in thrall to an unelected woman. Her fingerprints seem to be increasingly over everything.

All the more reason to question his suitability to lead the nation.

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on January 26, 2022, 03:54:31 PM
No. The thought that the Conservatives would lose against Starmer looks very doubtful to me even though the new 'rebel' northern MPs might be a bit precarious. We have had 2 years of Covid focus and to have expected everything to go along swimmingly is a bit perverse.
We do have a massive debt but again I am philosophical that despite the current reports the Cabinet and Treasury will have to make concessions before too many are forced under the weight of it. You see I don't see them as inhuman but timing is really important. They say a week is a long time in politics and we have a couple of months before a deadline. Things true now may well change in 8 weeks and the counter action change too. We would be quick to criticise Ministers for changing their minds if they act too soon. Dead wood you say? BJ is not dead wood. I do believe that he has the makings of a good PM but sadly he has made personnel and personal choices that have been misjudged to say the least. His time is up it's true but how this is done is most important.

The hotheaded 'he must resign, he must be driven out' is really short sighted in my view. I keep saying it but we need to be sensible and measured. Whatever course of action is chosen will take time and the general impatience in the modern ideal of wanting everything yesterday only throws us into more chaos. Patient, wise and balanced heads is what we all need.
Starmer vs Johnson is like Biden vs Trump. Ultimately you vote for the lesser evil rather than the party you want. And the polls give Labour a 10pt lead now. So given the anger, and I doubt it will ever disappear, Johnson remaining in power only damages the party the longer he clings on. So on that point I suspect there is no real issue for the opposition to get rid of him. Just focus on his record and make him accountable to it from now on.

As for him being a good PM or potential of being such, there are a number of qualities in a good leader and one is moral judgement. If he keeps making bad personal choices and surrounds himself with bad personnel, then that makes him a defacto bad leader.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 26, 2022, 03:12:15 PMI think Rees Mogg was right when he threw that gauntlet down. 
Jacob Rees Mogg is a totally out of touch fool. It is an embarrassment every time he says anything. His comments on news bulletins today were cringeworthy.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe