You’re under a vest.

Started by Nick, December 29, 2019, 12:32:04 AM

« previous - next »

Scott777

To be honest, the only kind of vests people wear in London are bomb vests and stab vests.  In terms of fashion, it's a different world.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: cromwell post_id=11560 time=1577662906 user_id=48
Bugger off :lol:  :hattip

I suppose that's fair enough.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Nick

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=11555 time=1577660697 user_id=59
I've only ever worn a yellow vest.  Apart from that, I've always associated vests with northerners or old people.  Sorry northerners and old people, but what's wrong with a t-shirt?

I do a lot of work for an Italian company and nearly all the Italian guys where vests.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

I always wear a vest, (not in bed though.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=11559 time=1577662653 user_id=59
Let me get that straight - you're 70, very short, and are typing this onto a computing engine!!!   :-?   :D

Bugger off :lol:  :hattip
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Scott777

Quote from: cromwell post_id=11558 time=1577661698 user_id=48
Bloody hell talk about stereotypes,I'm both northerner and I guess you say old (70 very shortly) and I haven't worn a vest since school and the nineteen sixties neither most blokes I know either.

Let me get that straight - you're 70, very short, and are typing this onto a computing engine!!!   :-?   :D

cromwell

Quote from: Scott777 post_id=11555 time=1577660697 user_id=59
I've only ever worn a yellow vest.  Apart from that, I've always associated vests with northerners or old people.  Sorry northerners and old people, but what's wrong with a t-shirt?

Bloody hell talk about stereotypes,I'm both northerner and I guess you say old (70 very shortly) and I haven't worn a vest since school and the nineteen sixties neither most blokes I know either.

Scott777

Quote from: Nick post_id=11512 time=1577579524 user_id=73
Just curious, how many of you guys wear a vest?

I've had a few over the years but if I don't wear one for a few weeks my wife gets rid of them, like most of my favourite old clothes 😂. They go into a kind of holding area where by if I don't notice they have gone missing for a while they are disposed of. If I question where a certain article is it magically appears back in my clothes draws 😝.

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=11534 time=1577628019 user_id=103
I do not own anything that was sold as, or officially described as, a vest.  I've always been a jeans and T-shirt type and now I'm in my 60's I've no intention of going into beige and cream, not for a long time, anyway!

My basic clothing philosophy is that jeans and T-shirt is the default outfit.  If it's a bit cold, put a fleece on.  If it's a bit hot replace the jeans with shorts.  If it's a bit formal I replace the T-shirt with a polo shirt, being very careful to stop short of 'smart casual' (I don't do smart casual). I do have a couple of sleeveless T-shirts which are basically like coloured vests.  I'm a bit old for those now but they are still useful as an extra under-layer during extreme coldness events.

I do not recall wearing anything that might remotely get called a vest other than when cross cou try running which I packed in ....um ... 45 years ago.

Unless you mean the kevlar kind....

On my last holiday, expecting sub zero temperatures, I packed t shirts  polo shirts, a genuine arran cardigan, and a 'thinsulate' fleece inner, goretex outer outdoor jacket pretty much a duplicate of the one that saw me through -10 degree pennine winter site visits to remote radio and radar stations in the 90s.

I found from experience wearing that lot ... ALL of it ... meant I was good for an hour and a half up a metal mast fitting and aligning the hardware in the teeth of a gale fit for an Everest windows advert.

But after 90 minutes of that it took about an hour of sitting in my warm battle bus shovelling scalding coffee down me like there was no tomorrow before I got the feeling back in my eyes, nose and toes...

In reality, one degree south of the arctic circle it was almost 12 degrees centigrade at sun up so I went out onto the balcony to welcome the dawn at shit o clock in the morning as my beserker viking ancestors did. Stark bo**** ...... but taking great care not to bsible to the lookout on the flying bridge. No point causing the first officeress to die of laughter ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Hyperduck Quack Quack

I do not own anything that was sold as, or officially described as, a vest.  I've always been a jeans and T-shirt type and now I'm in my 60's I've no intention of going into beige and cream, not for a long time, anyway!

My basic clothing philosophy is that jeans and T-shirt is the default outfit.  If it's a bit cold, put a fleece on.  If it's a bit hot replace the jeans with shorts.  If it's a bit formal I replace the T-shirt with a polo shirt, being very careful to stop short of 'smart casual' (I don't do smart casual). I do have a couple of sleeveless T-shirts which are basically like coloured vests.  I'm a bit old for those now but they are still useful as an extra under-layer during extreme coldness events.

T00ts

Shakes head in disbelief and some horror at the way of men.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=11527 time=1577620132 user_id=48
I am told I have no fashion sense,yes I know but there's stuff I like to wear and mostly am not going to a ball or an investiture at the palace so if I resemble worzel gummidge I don't care.

Quite. Some years ago, my wife and I were in Quimper, Brittany, on a boiling hot day.

My wife went shopping, and I sat on the wide wall of an ancient bridge, and took my Breton "casquet"  (cap) off because it was too hot to wear it, and put in on the bridge next to me. I must have dozed off for a while. When I woke up enough money had been put in my hat for my wife and I to buy several drinks each.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

I am told I have no fashion sense,yes I know but there's stuff I like to wear and mostly am not going to a ball or an investiture at the palace so if I resemble worzel gummidge I don't care.

I sometimes buy stuff to wind her up which I then wear in the garden  or doing jobs, it's the usual " you're not going out in that are you why don't you wear that nice jacket I bought you?"

Yes I am going out in that because I'm off to the tip and then screwfix. ;)

Nick

Quote from: Barry post_id=11516 time=1577615073 user_id=51
Goodness, we are getting down to the intimate parts of married life now! Like washing and managing clothes... well, I admit to having little fashion sense and if I'm in the right mood will allow Mrs the privilege of choosing what I wear. It makes a bit of sense. Other times I'll just go along in my fleece and jeans.

Now - a vest? I haven't worn one since I was about 14. My mother reckoned I would die of exposure the day I discarded it, but I managed to outlive her.

Nowadays, it's a T shirt, fleece and winter coat if it's that cold outside.

As for the Mrs touching stuff in my wardrobe and drawers - no way!  :thdwn:

I told the grandkids we have a magic washing bin. You can put anything in it and a few days later it arrives on the bed washed, dry and folded up. How this happens, I have no idea.  ;)

We call them fairies in our house, they do all kinds of stuff, from laundry to putting food in the fridge.  :hattip
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Goodness, we are getting down to the intimate parts of married life now! Like washing and managing clothes... well, I admit to having little fashion sense and if I'm in the right mood will allow Mrs the privilege of choosing what I wear. It makes a bit of sense. Other times I'll just go along in my fleece and jeans.

Now - a vest? I haven't worn one since I was about 14. My mother reckoned I would die of exposure the day I discarded it, but I managed to outlive her.

Nowadays, it's a T shirt, fleece and winter coat if it's that cold outside.

As for the Mrs touching stuff in my wardrobe and drawers - no way!  :thdwn:

I told the grandkids we have a magic washing bin. You can put anything in it and a few days later it arrives on the bed washed, dry and folded up. How this happens, I have no idea.  ;)
† The end is nigh †