tax payers alliance criticise BBC

Started by Thomas, January 29, 2022, 03:37:13 PM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: Thomas on January 30, 2022, 02:43:01 PM
so you keep saying and so i keep disagreeing. We will see.

You arent offering up anything new , merely repeating ad nauseum the same rhetoric time and again like you do with brexit.
I don't need to repeat anything new Thomas. There is no talk about selling off the BBC, only replacing the licence with another way to fund it and as such I am objectively correct. It is you who needs to show that the BBC is being scrapped as you keep repeating that.

Thomas

Quote from: B0ycey on January 30, 2022, 02:28:32 PM
So I agree the licence will go, but the revenue will be changed to another tax.
so you keep saying and so i keep disagreeing. We will see.

You arent offering up anything new , merely repeating ad nauseum the same rhetoric time and again like you do with brexit.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on January 30, 2022, 01:21:06 PM
Don't see it Boysie.

The problems are that

(a) most Tory voters think that it is run by a bunch of leftie luvvies and that BBC stands for Brussels Broadcasting Corporation

(b) Auntie can't be relied upon to stay bought.

(c) Freezing the license fee works out at about an £8 reduction each year for the next two years. Everyone loves a bargain.

One way and another, kicking the Beeb in the wallet will be a vote winner.
There is a difference between a vote winner and privatisation of the national media narrative to accommodate that.

Nonetheless, the BBC doesn't have much love with the "Lefties" who also claim bias. Auntie won't need to pay, the licence fee will go and be replace with something else, and a freezing of funding makes sense in any case because although the BBC is needed, it also needs to be slimmed down in order to be sustainable.There are plenty of services that truly are pointless like BBC4 and most of their radio services.

B0ycey

Quote from: Thomas on January 30, 2022, 12:49:00 PM
In your opinion.
its importance to them is becoming increasingly debatable as we have discussed.
So you keep saying , and i disagree. This just seems to be thrown out their by people like you to tell the public to shut up about the licence and stop complaining or they will force a stealth tax on everyone.

You wont stop the ever growing numbers of people arguing against and refusing to pay the bbc licence fee. A tipping point will be reached ,once way or the other.
We will see. It depends if it remains worthwhile pumping propaganda into some goat herders tent i nthe middle of the desert while the uk electorate back home start punishing them at the ballot box for refusing to listen to the taxpayer.

You can stand on here screaming all day long about leaving the bbc alone  , just as you scream about brexit  , but the world changes and moves on and so will the bbcs relevance . I will honestly be totally surprised if the licence fee lasts out this decade. Time will tell.

Thomas, I don't care whether the government sell the BBC, keep the licence or find a new way to pay for it. All I am doing it explaining why the BBC won't be sold off ever. My instinct is it was spelt out to BoJo in plain English after Dorries tweet that the BBC was important for national security and that would explain why when she went to parliament her tone changed, she had no plan and said she wanted to work with the opposition to find a new way to fund the BBC. Sure the Right claim the BBC is biased and as it happens that is what the Left say also in regards to the right. But an independent network would truly be biased in accordance to the owner of the broadcaster and the state would then have no control on the media narrative. So I agree the licence will go, but the revenue will be changed to another tax.

B0ycey

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 30, 2022, 01:03:51 PM
But that's just BBC bullshit and lies.

Has anyone NOT in the pay of the BBC produced similar figures ??
The figures are via all platforms. As I said to Thomas, the BBC is more than just a TV entertainment station. Habits might have changed, but the BBC has adapted to those changes.

B0ycey

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on January 30, 2022, 12:59:02 PM
The BBC should be scrapped completely and replaced with an independent and unbiased service like GBNews.
F@@@ me. We have found the only viewer of GBNews. Dancing

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 30, 2022, 01:03:51 PM

Thats exactly what i thought john.

The bbc singing its own praises is hardly suprising. I havent had the chance to go and search out other interpretations of its so called claims to audience numbers and viewing figures from outside the yookay.

The point is , inside the uk , its paying audience is on the wane , and ever growing anger is being directed at the corporation from all directions.

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on January 30, 2022, 12:23:01 PM
@Thomas

All I have ever said is the government won't relinquish control of the BBC once it is clear of its importance to them and the funding will become something more stealth to stop people complaining. OfCom complaints, live viewership figures, or numbers refusing to pay the licence won't change that given it is the governments global propaganda mouthpiece that reaches half a billion people globally and important it isn't ever sold off to a Chinese or Russian billionaire to change the narrative.
Don't see it Boysie.

The problems are that

(a) most Tory voters think that it is run by a bunch of leftie luvvies and that BBC stands for Brussels Broadcasting Corporation 

(b) Auntie can't be relied upon to stay bought.

(c) Freezing the license fee works out at about an £8 reduction each year for the next two years. Everyone loves a bargain.

One way and another, kicking the Beeb in the wallet will be a vote winner.
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: Good old on January 30, 2022, 12:58:01 PM
Propaganda is fine if it's source is a private interest isn't Thomas.you know a private interest with a massive axe to grind. If it's propaganda that is the problem . You get it anyway and probably pay more than the price of the TV licence .
im happy with propaganda. What im not happy with is propaganda im forced to pay for from an organisation that claims its impartial , and constantly breaks its charter of impartiality.

On top of that , i have two teenagers i the house who dont watch , and never have watched the bbc. Live tv in the traditional sense is unknown to them and their age group.

Technology , the tax payer , the voting public and progression will take care of the bbc wether any of us want it or not.

johnofgwent

Quote from: B0ycey on January 30, 2022, 10:56:44 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/bbc-reaches-record-global-audience

Read the article.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HallowedBrexit

The BBC should be scrapped completely and replaced with an independent and unbiased service like GBNews.

Good old

Quote from: Thomas on January 30, 2022, 09:02:35 AM
No because as we keep saying there is no justification for state funding in any form when their audience numbers are dropping massively , by an estimated 4 % every year.

The whole purpose of state propaganda is to send a message to the public via a platform like the bbc. If ever increasing numbers are no longer tuning in , then it no longer serves the purpose for what the government need it for , and eventually it becomes of no use to them , and funding will stop one way or the other.

I keep saying its becoming increasingly irrelevant , and woe betide any government trying to force payment for a service no one uses.

Using twentieth century propaganda in the twenty first century where most folk are using online streaming services doesnt work. A bit like your argument.

Propaganda is fine if it's source is a private interest isn't Thomas.you know a private interest with a massive axe to grind. If it's propaganda that is the problem . You get it anyway and probably pay more than the price of the TV licence .

Thomas

Quote from: B0ycey on January 30, 2022, 12:23:01 PM
@Thomas

All I have ever said is the government won't relinquish control of the BBC
In your opinion.

Quoteonce it is clear of its importance to them
its importance to them is becoming increasingly debatable as we have discussed.

Quotewill become something more stealth to stop people complaining.
So you keep saying , and i disagree. This just seems to be thrown out their by people like you to tell the public to shut up about the licence and stop complaining or they will force a stealth tax on everyone.

You wont stop the ever growing numbers of people arguing against and refusing to pay the bbc licence fee. A tipping point will be reached ,once way or the other.

QuoteOfCom complaints, live viewership figures, or numbers refusing to pay the licence won't change that given it is the governments global propaganda mouthpiece that reaches half a billion people globally and important it isn't ever sold off to a Chinese or Russian billionaire to change the narrative.
We will see. It depends if it remains worthwhile pumping propaganda into some goat herders tent i nthe middle of the desert while the uk electorate back home start punishing them at the ballot box for refusing to listen to the taxpayer.

You can stand on here screaming all day long about leaving the bbc alone  , just as you scream about brexit  , but the world changes and moves on and so will the bbcs relevance . I will honestly be totally surprised if the licence fee lasts out this decade. Time will tell.

B0ycey

@Thomas

All I have ever said is the government won't relinquish control of the BBC once it is clear of its importance to them and the funding will become something more stealth to stop people complaining. OfCom complaints, live viewership figures, or numbers refusing to pay the licence won't change that given it is the governments global propaganda mouthpiece that reaches half a billion people globally and important it isn't ever sold off to a Chinese or Russian billionaire to change the narrative.

Thomas

Quote from: B0ycey on January 30, 2022, 10:56:44 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/bbc-reaches-record-global-audience

Read the article.
brilliant let them stream subscirption services to these internaitonal audiences .

meanwhile at home , the people who actually pay for this out of date service....

BBC 'complacent' about viewer numbers as 200,000 cancel licence fee per year

Younger viewers have switched to streaming services such as Netflix

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/bbc-complacent-viewer-numbers-200000-20644217

BBC in crisis as broadcaster's popularity DROPS and viewers switch off from the Beeb

THE BBC needs to broaden its appeal to a wider range of people to halt a slide in audience figures with younger viewers switching off in their droves, Ofcom has warned.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1364677/bbc-news-ofcom-annual-report-licence-fee-audience-viewer-satisfaction-falls

A National Audit Office (NAO) report revealed that an entire generation of viewers are turning away from the Beeb and using subscription based media like Netflix in a major blow to the public broadcaster. The NAO suggests that plummeting audience figures mean people are less likely to pay the licence fee because they do not view licensable content.

Professor Philip Booth, Senior Academic Fellow at the Institute of Economic Affairs, said the findings "come as no surprise". He argued: "The BBC must be liberated from the licence fee and become independent of government".

https://iea.org.uk/media/falling-audience-figures-for-bbc-means-licence-fee-is-difficult-to-justify/