It wont be half hot mum

Started by cromwell, January 30, 2022, 10:32:11 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on February 01, 2022, 07:44:09 PM
Thank goodness for that - for once we have some common ground. So if Boris is to go he has to be replaced. It will take perhaps 4 months or so to properly go through that process.
Bojo could do the decent thing and walk away from 10 Downing Street tomorrow.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on February 01, 2022, 07:23:53 PM
I will admit to what you and everyone else here already knows about me. That is that I have no love for the Tories as a political force and never have. I will also say that such dislike of Tory politics is never personal for me. I have Tory supporting close friends with whom I often argue vociferously but we always part as friends. I only know you as pixels on a screen but you come across as a decent person, and I am entirely unsurprised by the fact that you yourself have raised your concerns about Boris with your MP.

I can understand your feelings that everyone else piling in looks like a witch hunt. I do after all remember the shite that flew Corbyn's way, and is continuing to fly in the direction of anyone left in my former party who ever supported him. Piling in for politically motivated reasons is par for the course. But it is only effective if there are serious grounds for doing so. Many of those in the wider public expressing anger actually voted Tory in 2019. Listen to a few radio phone ins - I catch LBC quite a lot - and you will hear it.

And whilst no lover of the Tories, I myself am far from being someone who wants to see them suffer maximum damage. On the contrary, whilst I don't want them winning another majority, I do want them to perform well enough to prevent Starmer from doing so. This is essential for me.

So I need the Tories to get their act together. So in a kind of way even I want them to perform reasonably well and genuinely worry about them performing so poorly that Starmer gets in with a majority. And I genuinely worry that the Tories right now are acting in Starmer's best interests and not their own. Boris needs to be replaced for the good of the Tory party itself, let alone the nation. Almost anyone would be better than him right now.
Thank goodness for that - for once we have some common ground. So if Boris is to go he has to be replaced. It will take perhaps 4 months or so to properly go through that process. So a GE now would be chaos in my opinion. No-one is ready for it so an orderly transition from Boris to a new leader who we are happy with has to be the way forward. May was shoehorned in too fast and was a massive mistake so this has to be done carefully. Boris' days are seriously numbered for all sorts of reasons, that's not to say that on a good day he is hopeless. It's just as he has always been, inconsistent.
As a nation we need a steady hand on the tiller that can unite the Conservatives and hopefully the country on a way forward and keep the party to the right of centre or even central, although Starmer will try and take that position. For sensible politics the electorate must have choice, but sage, careful planning and then expediency in making the change is what we need. Until all avenues are covered with the current mess, we have to wait until it is all out in the open and finished. No amount of jumping up and down in frustration anger or anything else is going to be useful. A new leader does not need to have to clear up behind him/her. We need to move forward but a step at a time with patience.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on February 01, 2022, 07:03:05 PM
You write that because it suits your narrative. There is anger yes and understandably, I myself have written to my MP voicing that Boris should go for all sorts of reasons. You are not hearing what I am. Many like myself see this for a witch hunt. It's knee jerk reaction simply to whip up the masses for no other reason than it discredits the Conservatives. Many like me see that without the proper processes and a viable replacement we will put the nation in jeopardy. This is the wrong time for a leader change just to quell the haters.
I will admit to what you and everyone else here already knows about me. That is that I have no love for the Tories as a political force and never have. I will also say that such dislike of Tory politics is never personal for me. I have Tory supporting close friends with whom I often argue vociferously but we always part as friends. I only know you as pixels on a screen but you come across as a decent person, and I am entirely unsurprised by the fact that you yourself have raised your concerns about Boris with your MP.

I can understand your feelings that everyone else piling in looks like a witch hunt. I do after all remember the shite that flew Corbyn's way, and is continuing to fly in the direction of anyone left in my former party who ever supported him. Piling in for politically motivated reasons is par for the course. But it is only effective if there are serious grounds for doing so. Many of those in the wider public expressing anger actually voted Tory in 2019. Listen to a few radio phone ins - I catch LBC quite a lot - and you will hear it.

And whilst no lover of the Tories, I myself am far from being someone who wants to see them suffer maximum damage. On the contrary, whilst I don't want them winning another majority, I do want them to perform well enough to prevent Starmer from doing so. This is essential for me.

So I need the Tories to get their act together. So in a kind of way even I want them to perform reasonably well and genuinely worry about them performing so poorly that Starmer gets in with a majority. And I genuinely worry that the Tories right now are acting in Starmer's best interests and not their own. Boris needs to be replaced for the good of the Tory party itself, let alone the nation. Almost anyone would be better than him right now.

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on February 01, 2022, 06:57:16 PM
They are reflecting and responding to public anger because your lot apparently don't give a fig what they think and appear to hold them in contempt. If your party only did the decent thing for once the furore would die down. It exists because a man so demonstrably unfit for office, who if he had a shred of shame or decency would have resigned already, refuses to go and his party refuses to ditch him. That is why the bun fight exists. And public anger out there, even amongst lifelong Tory supporters, is palpable. Trying to diminish it as something trivial merely shows your own disconnect from reality. Because it matters to many of the public who are turning against your party right now.
You write that because it suits your narrative. There is anger yes and understandably, I myself have written to my MP voicing that Boris should go for all sorts of reasons. You are not hearing what I am. Many like myself see this for a witch hunt. It's knee jerk reaction simply to whip up the masses for no other reason than it discredits the Conservatives. Many like me see that without the proper processes and a viable replacement we will put the nation in jeopardy. This is the wrong time for a leader change just to quell the haters.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on February 01, 2022, 06:45:02 PM
Those making such a bun fight of all this don't care about the National interest. They are feeding the frenzy at every turn for what? Politically motivated reasons!
They are reflecting and responding to public anger because your lot apparently don't give a fig what they think and appear to hold them in contempt. If your party only did the decent thing for once the furore would die down. It exists because a man so demonstrably unfit for office, who if he had a shred of shame or decency would have resigned already, refuses to go and his party refuses to ditch him. That is why the bun fight exists. And public anger out there, even amongst lifelong Tory supporters, is palpable. Trying to diminish it as something trivial merely shows your own disconnect from reality. Because it matters to many of the public who are turning against your party right now.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on February 01, 2022, 06:33:41 PM
Yes............ they say battles were won on the playing fields of Eton,judging by the recent bullingdon lot I wouldn't bet they'd win a pillow fight.
Incompetence is no bar to self interest. Of course bozo would do the same if it suited him. The actual conduct of any military intervention would in any case be planned and carried out by the presumably competent military. Sending them anywhere would be what was Bozo's decision.

And if you doubt that consider this. In the parliamentary debate about whether to invade Iraq, about half of the Labour MPs of the time voted against. All but two Tories voted in favour. Your preferred party over all the others were even more in favour of it than Labour was!

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on February 01, 2022, 06:41:07 PM
He has repeatedly demonstrated in spades over matters both large and small that he is wholly lacking in integrity and morals. And having parties and laughing at us for not being able to say goodbye to loved ones is pretty emotive stuff that matters to those people who obeyed the rules. You might choose to trivialise his behaviour for dubious politically motivated reasons, but the wider public will not.
Those making such a bun fight of all this don't care about the National interest. They are feeding the frenzy at every turn for what? Politically motivated reasons! 

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on February 01, 2022, 06:29:22 PM
For goodness sake - he had some cake and a few drinks with work mates who were mixing every day rather than working from home. Many were working 7 days a week. Blair said there were WMDs capable in 45 minutes. I don't like liars but there are degrees. Boris is chaotic, disorganised and not sufficiently focussed, but he isn't nasty. If he were Cummings would have pushed him over the edge by now.
The man has apologised umpteen times. He sat in the Commons and took it from nearly everyone. Where is the forgiveness? Let him without sin cast the first stone!
He has repeatedly demonstrated in spades over matters both large and small that he is wholly lacking in integrity and morals. And having parties and laughing at us for not being able to say goodbye to loved ones is pretty emotive stuff that matters to those people who obeyed the rules. You might choose to trivialise his behaviour for dubious politically motivated reasons, but the wider public will not.

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on February 01, 2022, 06:34:24 PM
And to be fair, BoJo is trying his best to have his Iraq moment by pushing the Ukraine narrative and no doubt will send in the troops to protect his ass.

Made me laugh that BoJo cancels conversation with Putin yesterday and then Putin tells him forget it when he tries to reschedule. I doubt anyone take BoJo seriously in this crisis. Seems Putin would rather speak to Macron and Scholz.
Of course he would!

B0ycey

Quote from: srb7677 on February 01, 2022, 06:21:37 PM
Blair was an arse and still is and I loathe the man, but even he is nowhere near as bad as Johnson.

But, I know you will say, at least Boris has not participated in an illegal invasion costing the deaths of many thousands. But do you for a single second doubt that Bozo would without hesitation do the same and worse if the opportunity came his way, if he thought it was good for him personally?
And to be fair, BoJo is trying his best to have his Iraq moment by pushing the Ukraine narrative and no doubt will send in the troops to protect his ass.

Made me laugh that BoJo cancels conversation with Putin yesterday and then Putin tells him forget it when he tries to reschedule. I doubt anyone take BoJo seriously in this crisis. Seems Putin would rather speak to Macron and Scholz.

cromwell

Blair was an arse and still is and I loathe the man, but even he is nowhere near as bad as Johnson.

But, I know you will say, at least Boris has not participated in an illegal invasion costing the deaths of many thousands. But do you for a single second doubt that Bozo would without hesitation do the same and worse if the opportunity came his way, if he thought it was good for him personally?
Yes............ they say battles were won on the playing fields of Eton,judging by the recent bullingdon lot I wouldn't bet they'd win a pillow fight.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

For goodness sake - he had some cake and a few drinks with work mates who were mixing every day rather than working from home. Many were working 7 days a week. Blair said there were WMDs capable in 45 minutes. I don't like liars but there are degrees. Boris is chaotic, disorganised and not sufficiently focussed, but he isn't nasty. If he were Cummings would have pushed him over the edge by now. 
The man has apologised umpteen times. He sat in the Commons and took it from nearly everyone. Where is the forgiveness? Let him without sin cast the first stone!

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on January 30, 2022, 12:04:46 PM
The biggest (sick) joke of the lot.

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on February 01, 2022, 03:16:59 PM
It Ain't Half Hot Mum was never funny in the first place
It was absolutely hilarious, on the other hand I have never seen any humour at all in "The Office."  or Ricky Gervais.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

It Ain't Half Hot Mum was never funny in the first place because it was basically music hall humour for people who were elderly at the time and they're all long-gone now. Political correctness or not, nobody would find it funny now anyway. It wouldn't stand the test of time, unlike Dad's Army, which was much more cleverly conceived.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!