It wont be half hot mum

Started by cromwell, January 30, 2022, 10:32:11 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Sampanviking

Quote from: B0ycey on February 01, 2022, 06:34:24 PM
And to be fair, BoJo is trying his best to have his Iraq moment by pushing the Ukraine narrative and no doubt will send in the troops to protect his ass.

Made me laugh that BoJo cancels conversation with Putin yesterday and then Putin tells him forget it when he tries to reschedule. I doubt anyone take BoJo seriously in this crisis. Seems Putin would rather speak to Macron and Scholz.
The fact that parties at Downing St are regarded as more important than a potential outbreak of WW3, rather shows just how fake the whole Ukraine Invasion narrative, pushed by the US and UK, really is. Wag the Dog indeed!

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on February 02, 2022, 11:13:06 AM
The damage being done by Brexit and Tory incompetence makes the Tories getting their act together as likely as me seeing a flying pig piloted by Elvis flying over my home.
## Land of Hope and Glory ##
"SHADDAAAP"
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on February 02, 2022, 11:05:10 AM
That depends upon how soon and whether the Tories ditch Boris and get their act together under a new leader. 
The damage being done by Brexit and Tory incompetence makes the Tories getting their act together as likely as me seeing a flying pig piloted by Elvis flying over my home.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on February 02, 2022, 09:41:19 AM
I doubt very much Labour will get an absolute majority it will be some kind of coalition.
That depends upon how soon and whether the Tories ditch Boris and get their act together under a new leader. If they don't a Labour majority will start looking increasingly likely. If they do then you are probably right, the Tories might even win.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on February 02, 2022, 09:09:04 AM
If he does the Tories will lose, and Starmer's lot will get a majority which will be a disaster all round.
I doubt very much Labour will get an absolute majority it will be some kind of coalition.

srb7677

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 02, 2022, 08:48:58 AM
Boris will lead the Tories into 2024
If he does the Tories will lose, and Starmer's lot will get a majority which will be a disaster all round.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on February 01, 2022, 07:58:45 PM
...and leave Raab at the Despatch Box. I don't think anyone will enjoy that for long. Time will come we just have to be patient.

The moment passed the instant Cressida Dick ot involved.

Boris will lead the Tories into 2024 and will probably win, with a majority you can count on the cheeks of one arse. The price to the party will be that just as in Wales, no constituency in the red wall region will ever send a tory to westminster again.

Which is a pity because political certainty breeds contempt. Politicians only listen if they think defeat is the reward of not listening.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on February 01, 2022, 08:47:45 PM
And you consider this,they ain't my preference.
Yet you voted for them and intend to again. That makes them your preference in my book.

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on February 01, 2022, 06:29:22 PM
For goodness sake - he had some cake and a few drinks with work mates who were mixing every day rather than working from home. Many were working 7 days a week. Blair said there were WMDs capable in 45 minutes. I don't like liars but there are degrees. Boris is chaotic, disorganised and not sufficiently focussed, but he isn't nasty. If he were Cummings would have pushed him over the edge by now.
The man has apologised umpteen times. He sat in the Commons and took it from nearly everyone. Where is the forgiveness? Let him without sin cast the first stone!

The point was whether one felt Bojo less likely to structure things for personal or party financial advantage than Blair

I think he is just as likely to condone criminality. After all, he already has....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on February 01, 2022, 08:18:48 PM
I hear what you are saying, but the public appear to have made up their mind about Boris and the longer he stays the more damage he does to our country and to his party. I accept that in choosing a leader a process has to be gone through, but it needs to be initiated as soon as possible, and in the contest that follows a leader will emerge.

I don't know if you have noticed this, but whilst MPs and ministers are constantly put out there to demean themselves by defending the indefensible re Bozo and his behaviour, Rishi Sunak has been notably absent in such endeavours. He is avoiding that taint, probably in the hope of distancing himself from all the corruption and rule breaking when Johnson goes. This looks like creating the space for him to claim to be a new broom offering a clean up. And I suspect people will buy it. Were I a betting man, my money would be on Sunak replacing him. Whether that is a good thing or not I am uncertain . Certainly in my view anyone is better than Bozo. But I fear Sunak will revert to more archetypical Thatcherism.
Mmm I'm not so sure that the public is as fired up as you might think. I have noticed Sunak as have many others. He has blotted his copy book a few times with MPs and has apparently already mocked up his leadership campaign so I feel little doubt he wants Boris' job. A good choice? Not for me. He's a lot of show but I am not convinced he is man enough for the job and I hear he is frightened of upsetting the EU which will not go down well at the polls. I believe he was a remainer originally and is in his job on the recommendation of Cummings which again might go against him. There is a danger in feeling that anyone is better than Boris. I think everyone wanted a maverick to deal with Brexit, and he is still a maverick. I'm not so sure that anyone without real personality and drive will be good for the nation let alone the Conservatives. 
There is a dearth of Statesmen with any real conviction in Parliament as far as I can see yet. I have to say that is true throughout the House not just the Conservatives. I honestly wish it was different.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on February 01, 2022, 06:49:19 PM
Incompetence is no bar to self interest. Of course bozo would do the same if it suited him. The actual conduct of any military intervention would in any case be planned and carried out by the presumably competent military. Sending them anywhere would be what was Bozo's decision.

And if you doubt that consider this. In the parliamentary debate about whether to invade Iraq, about half of the Labour MPs of the time voted against. All but two Tories voted in favour. Your preferred party over all the others were even more in favour of it than Labour was!
And you consider this,they ain't my preference.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on February 01, 2022, 07:44:09 PM
Thank goodness for that - for once we have some common ground. So if Boris is to go he has to be replaced. It will take perhaps 4 months or so to properly go through that process. So a GE now would be chaos in my opinion. No-one is ready for it so an orderly transition from Boris to a new leader who we are happy with has to be the way forward. May was shoehorned in too fast and was a massive mistake so this has to be done carefully. Boris' days are seriously numbered for all sorts of reasons, that's not to say that on a good day he is hopeless. It's just as he has always been, inconsistent.
As a nation we need a steady hand on the tiller that can unite the Conservatives and hopefully the country on a way forward and keep the party to the right of centre or even central, although Starmer will try and take that position. For sensible politics the electorate must have choice, but sage, careful planning and then expediency in making the change is what we need. Until all avenues are covered with the current mess, we have to wait until it is all out in the open and finished. No amount of jumping up and down in frustration anger or anything else is going to be useful. A new leader does not need to have to clear up behind him/her. We need to move forward but a step at a time with patience.
I hear what you are saying, but the public appear to have made up their mind about Boris and the longer he stays the more damage he does to our country and to his party. I accept that in choosing a leader a process has to be gone through, but it needs to be initiated as soon as possible, and in the contest that follows a leader will emerge.

I don't know if you have noticed this, but whilst MPs and ministers are constantly put out there to demean themselves by defending the indefensible re Bozo and his behaviour, Rishi Sunak has been notably absent in such endeavours. He is avoiding that taint, probably in the hope of distancing himself from all the corruption and rule breaking when Johnson goes. This looks like creating the space for him to claim to be a new broom offering a clean up. And I suspect people will buy it. Were I a betting man, my money would be on Sunak replacing him. Whether that is a good thing or not I am uncertain . Certainly in my view anyone is better than Bozo. But I fear Sunak will revert to more archetypical Thatcherism.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on February 01, 2022, 07:54:34 PM
Bojo could do the decent thing and walk away from 10 Downing Street tomorrow.
...and leave Raab at the Despatch Box. I don't think anyone will enjoy that for long. Time will come we just have to be patient.