wind farm trade battle with brussell looms

Started by Thomas, January 30, 2022, 11:42:05 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 02, 2022, 05:49:15 PM
The difference being that the U.K. can make unilateral decisions to tackle inflation,
Brexit has wrecked that plan.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on February 02, 2022, 03:46:54 PM
Ok numbers Nick, what's the point your trying to make. The Eurozone inflation rate is now ballistic, but its been lower than the UK's for years. In fairness, when you look at the UK inflation rate since 2019, it's been very simular to the Eurozone average, think Covid and expand on that a bit and you might just figure this one out for yourself.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN02794/SN02794.pdf

The difference being that the U.K. can make unilateral decisions to tackle inflation, the EU can't. We shall see who gets a grip of it first.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on February 02, 2022, 02:46:57 PM
And now the Euro zone inflation rate is going ballistic!!
Ok numbers Nick, what's the point your trying to make. The Eurozone inflation rate is now ballistic, but its been lower than the UK's for years. In fairness, when you look at the UK inflation rate since 2019, it's been very simular to the Eurozone average, think Covid and expand on that a bit and you might just figure this one out for yourself.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN02794/SN02794.pdf

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on February 02, 2022, 02:29:43 PM
The EU is, of course, the perfect model for trade and peace, especially all this "Net Zero" stuff. Which is why we left and Poland and Hungary are unhappy.
Never mind, they will impose their will. It will all be for the good of the people, I'm just not sure which ones.
Well not the perfect model but prob the best out there, and it's been pretty good regarding peace with it's members, something that Churchill, Thatcher and many others could see.

So one of the reasons you left was net zero, and your what, fed up with peace ? and you don't like trade? But the UK has one of the most aggressive net zero targets than any other country, and that's why you left the EU :D 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/23/which-country-has-made-the-biggest-climate-commitment

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 02, 2022, 02:46:57 PM
And now the Euro zone inflation rate is going ballistic!!
So has Britain's. 

Nick

Quote from: Barry on February 02, 2022, 02:29:43 PM
The EU is, of course, the perfect model for trade and peace, especially all this "Net Zero" stuff. Which is why we left and Poland and Hungary are unhappy.
Never mind, they will impose their will. It will all be for the good of the people, I'm just not sure which ones.
And now the Euro zone inflation rate is going ballistic!!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: Sheepy on February 02, 2022, 02:19:00 PM
Like Gerry says, it might look like they are telling the EU to do one, but far from the truth.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

I knew the WTO fallback rules were going to bite Bojo on the backside.

Sheepy

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 02, 2022, 12:43:11 PMBest as JoG says to tell them to do one now to save any confusion 
Like Gerry says, it might look like they are telling the EU to do one, but far from the truth. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 02, 2022, 09:51:29 AM
Who owns them is irrelevant .  All business within the UK  should be free to operate within UK rules and regs .  Stopping  the EU putting  their two bobs worth in is one reason why we left .

You would think, but that's the problem with your version of sovereignty. What Johnson did was sign the TCA, in which he gave away what you would call the god given right to do what you want, in return for trade access to the EU markets. The problem with Johnson is he says one thing to the domestic UK audience, full of boom, bluster, ra ra ra, tally ho! and we'll beat them on the beaches. Then he goes and does the opposite.
From the attached:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/17/wind-turbines-clash-adds-to-uk-eu-post-brexit-tensions

First it would seem the trade deal Johnson signed with the EU prohibits the UK from saying UK contractors must use local content. It would also appear to breach WTO guidance. Is the UK to leave both of those agreements to satisfy your "we do what we want", and possibly several other contracts the UK has signed ?
"Local content requirements are prohibited not just under the EU-UK trade and cooperation agreement, but also the UK's WTO commitments."

"So the question that needs answering is whether the UK is in fact giving companies with UK supply chains preferential access to contracts, or just information-gathering. The latter is fine, the former less so."

The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy said:
"We are committed to supporting the UK renewables industry wherever possible, and building sustainable supply chains for low-carbon electricity, capable of delivering the offshore wind sector deal's industry commitment of 60% UK content in its facilities. However, in accordance with the UK-EU trade agreement, there are no mandatory requirements for supply chains to use UK products, or any other type of mandatory targets."

So it would seem the UK rag press are still attacking and blaming the EU, even now that you have left, it will prob never end. UK good, EU bad. If you want to do what your article says or how you see it, then don't sign these types of agreements, if there is a fault here, it would be Johnson you should direct your vitriol against.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on February 02, 2022, 09:58:52 AM
They have to operate within UK rules and regs most of which Bojo is about to scrap.
Thats the idea , Johnson stands or falls on his record . If he caves in to the EU demands you just know its going to come with EU directives ,regulations and another bit of paper to sign that they will hold up in 2025 as reason why they have exclusive rights over sand eels on Dogger Bank .

Best as JoG says to tell them to do one now to save any confusion 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 02, 2022, 09:51:29 AM
Who owns them is irrelevant .  All business within the UK  should be free to operate within UK rules and regs .  Stopping  the EU putting  their two bobs worth in is one reason why we left .
They have to operate within UK rules and regs most of which Bojo is about to scrap.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on February 02, 2022, 09:42:51 AM
EU companies already own a significant number of "British" industries.
Who owns them is irrelevant .  All business within the UK  should be free to operate within UK rules and regs .  Stopping  the EU putting  their two bobs worth in is one reason why we left . 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 02, 2022, 09:03:05 AM
Thats not the issue . Its that the EU still want to control how we operate our own industries . 
EU companies already own a significant number of "British" industries.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on February 02, 2022, 07:27:43 AM
I am frankly puzzled because as far as I am aware all wind turbine components are imported. (Or were the last time I checked.)
Thats not the issue . Its that the EU still want to control how we operate our own industries .