remembered of it, the Welshmen did good service in a
garden where leeks did grow, wearing leeks in their
Monmouth caps; which, your majesty know, to this
hour is an honourable badge of the service; and I do
believe your majesty takes no scorn to wear the leek
upon Saint Tavy's day.
KING HENRY V
QuoteI wear it for a memorable honour;
For I am Welsh, you know, good countryman.

Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 03, 2022, 06:31:21 PM
I thought Leeks were Welsh not Scottish
I always thought leaks were from people who drove a few hundred miles to test their eyesight but got their comeuppance anyway,so decided to drip drip ratlike in the hope we forgot.....we didn't and still see and smell a rat.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on February 03, 2022, 01:35:13 PM
, I will use the space for the Musselburghs.

I thought Leeks were Welsh not Scottish 

T00ts

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 03, 2022, 01:46:44 PM
I do not know, but Sutton's seeds used to have a calendar on their website showing earliest and latest planting dates.

As all the relatives I knew who grew them are now dead, I regret I cannot help further

Edit: balls to that, Google is your friend

It is an odd business, but I have been all over the internet, but while there is plenty of advice as to sowing them (March/April) there is bugger all on when to actually transplant them.

Sod it, I will take a chance and if it doesn't work there is always Sainsbury's.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

I guess the truth is that we can plant anything at any time we like. Whether they grow or not is then down to them! Dancing Dancing 

There are I believe specific late varieties that you can leave in the ground right through the winter.

cromwell

It is a daft question because I have grown leeks for years, but never really taken much notice of when I plant them out. To be honest, I was never that interested in them as a crop, I just liked to see a bit of green in winter. A bit like pumpkins. Yards of cheery vines in autumn and something for the kids at Halloween, but does anyone actually eat the bloody things?

But this year things will be different, although I may have said that last year as well. Anyway, no more Mr Nice Guy. This time the allotment gets squeezed. I will sow the leeks in March and when I lift the first early spuds in July, I will use the space for the Musselburghs.

But will it be too late?

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Lovely braised in a gravy or chopped upp with onion and made in to a soup with a bit of cream.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

https://www.suttons.co.uk/growing-guides

Download the vegetable garden planner

And as to your query

March- April outdoors, Jan in greenhouse

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

It is a daft question because I have grown leeks for years, but never really taken much notice of when I plant them out. To be honest, I was never that interested in them as a crop, I just liked to see a bit of green in winter. A bit like pumpkins. Yards of cheery vines in autumn and something for the kids at Halloween, but does anyone actually eat the bloody things?

But this year things will be different, although I may have said that last year as well. Anyway, no more Mr Nice Guy. This time the allotment gets squeezed. I will sow the leeks in March and when I lift the first early spuds in July, I will use the space for the Musselburghs.

But will it be too late?

I do not know, but Sutton's seeds used to have a calendar on their website showing earliest and latest planting dates.

As all the relatives I knew who grew them are now dead, I regret I cannot help further

Edit: balls to that, Google is your friend
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

But will it be too late?

Algerie Francais !