Boris Johnson backtracks on Jimmy Savile slur as he seeks to 'clarify' remarks

Started by papasmurf, February 03, 2022, 03:37:41 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on February 08, 2022, 11:59:58 AM
40 miles?

I doubt it would take much to legislate to protect entrance and exit points at Westminster and give MPs armed guards at constituency meetings if they chose to have it. I am not expecting armed guards in every room in every house Pappy. But to get right up to Starmer and wave a banner in his face and stopping him from getting into his car doesn't look like security is taken seriously enough in my opinion.

F@@@ them. If you can't stand up and tell an MP he is a C@@@ then we will end up living in a land fit only for the Labour party.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on February 08, 2022, 11:59:58 AM
40 miles?

I doubt it would take much to legislate to protect entrance and exit points at Westminster and give MPs armed guards at constituency meetings if they chose to have it. 
The known targets have armed protection 24/7/365 even at their homes.
Breaking news:-

https://news.sky.com/story/commons-speaker-warns-mps-words-have-consequences-after-intimidation-of-sir-keir-starmer-by-a-mob-outside-parliament-12535971

Tuesday 8 February 2022 12:07, UK
Breaking

Commons speaker warns MPs 'words have consequences' after intimidation of Sir Keir Starmer by a mob outside Parliament
On Monday evening, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer was bundled into the back of a police car after being confronted by protesters shouting "traitor" and "Jimmy Savile" at him.

Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle has warned MPs that "words have consequences" after Sir Keir Starmer was confronted by a mob shouting "traitor" and "Jimmy Savile" at him.

Boris Johnson is resisting fresh demands to apologise for the discredited claim he made in parliament last week that the Labour leader personally failed to prosecute Jimmy Savile.

Making a statement at the opening of today's proceedings in the commons, Sir Lindsay said he had requested a "situation report from the Metropolitan Police" on the incident on Monday evening which saw Sir Keir being [color=var(--link-color)]bundled into the back of a police car[/iurl][/b] after being confronted by protesters.[/font][/size][/color]

Commons Speaker criticises mob incident

Criticising the "disgraceful behaviour" aimed at the Labour leader, the commons speaker said the prime minister's words were "not disorderly" but "inappropriate".

[color=var(--text-color-secondary)]Advertisement
[/font][/size][/color]

Sir Lindsay told the commons: "I know it has been reported that some abuse was directed at the leader of the opposition yesterday related to claims made by the prime minister in this chamber.

"But regardless of yesterday's incident, I made it clear last week that while the prime minister's words were not disorderly they were inappropriate.

"As I said then, these sorts of comments only inflame opinions and generate disregard for the House and it is not acceptable.
"Our words have consequences and we should always be mindful of the fact."
Sir Lindsay continued: "While I do not comment in detail on security matters on the floor of the chamber, steps must be in place to keep passholders secure as they enter and leave the parliamentary estate.
"I have requested a situation report from the Metropolitan Police via our security team on how this incident occurred."

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

B0ycey

Quote from: papasmurf on February 08, 2022, 11:47:20 AM
Several ministers of state and ex ministers of state have 24/7/365 armed protection. (The nearest I ever get to the homes of one of those in particular is 40 miles.) Frankly to give such protection to all MPs is not possible.
40 miles?

I doubt it would take much to legislate to protect entrance and exit points at Westminster and give MPs armed guards at constituency meetings if they chose to have it. I am not expecting armed guards in every room in every house Pappy. But to get right up to Starmer and wave a banner in his face and stopping him from getting into his car doesn't look like security is taken seriously enough in my opinion.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on February 08, 2022, 11:10:38 AM
Actually it was a very strange bedfellows protest about multiple issues and frankly the lot should have been arrested and subjected to mental health sections and psychiatric assessment.
Actually it was Piers Corbyns anti vax people that were gathered at the same place that Starmer and Lammy happened walked by . The 'Mob' as it was described was made up of 2 protesters 25 old bill and 4 news reporters and 37 various photographers ,cameramen and various support staff .Get someone to shout Brexit ,sorry Saville and you have another   completely manufactured incident .

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on February 08, 2022, 11:40:04 AM
Some people can take the pictures and make whatever statement they like. In my opinion it wasn't the slur or the protest I was shocked about. It was that since Amess, and perhaps as far back as Cox, there clearly still aren't safeguards in place when MPs leave Westminster. That should be sorted out ASAP.
Several ministers of state and ex ministers of state have 24/7/365 armed protection. (The nearest I ever get to the homes of one of those in particular is 40 miles.) Frankly to give such protection to all MPs is not possible. 

B0ycey

Quote from: papasmurf on February 08, 2022, 11:27:49 AM
When has he every told a disgusting lie about Boris Johnson?
Some people can take the pictures and make whatever statement they like. In my opinion it wasn't the slur or the protest I was shocked about. It was that since Amess, and perhaps as far back as Cox, there clearly still aren't safeguards in place when MPs leave Westminster. That should be sorted out ASAP.

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on February 08, 2022, 11:31:51 AM
How about when he's referred to Johnson in Parliament as "the honourable gentleman" ?
He is not responsible for House of Commons protocol. (Which frankly is well past it usefulness.)

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on February 08, 2022, 11:25:15 AM
Ok, I quite enjoyed it.

If Sir Keir can hand it out then he should be able to take it. And if he can only do the former and not the latter and wants to make a career out of being a victim, then the best thing he can do is join the Labour party.

But then he has hasn't he?
Well I guess it was lucky for him that is was Starmer and not Rayner leaving otherwise there would also be a charge of misogyny put on Johnson instead. LOL.

HDQQ

Quote from: papasmurf on February 08, 2022, 11:27:49 AM
When has he every told a disgusting lie about Boris Johnson?
How about when he's referred to Johnson in Parliament as "the honourable gentleman" ?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on February 08, 2022, 11:25:15 AM
Ok, I quite enjoyed it.

If Sir Keir can hand it out then he should be able to take it. 
When has he every told a disgusting lie about Boris Johnson? 

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on February 08, 2022, 10:00:21 AM
So nobody's got anything to say on here about the mob attack on Kier Starmer, which was obviously inspired by the PM's outrageous Savile remark?
It had echoes of Trump's insurrection mob, on a smaller scale.

Johnson is refusing to apologise after the mob attack on Starmer.

Ok, I quite enjoyed it.

If Sir Keir can hand it out then he should be able to take it. And if he can only do the former and not the latter and wants to make a career out of being a victim, then the best thing he can do is join the Labour party.

But then he has hasn't he?
Algerie Francais !

B0ycey

Quote from: papasmurf on February 08, 2022, 11:21:51 AM
They did break the law which is why two arrests, it should have been a lot more arrests.
They weren't arrested for their views or protesting though. But aggravation.

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on February 08, 2022, 11:14:05 AM. But if the protesters didn't break the law they should be there whether we agree with their message or not.
They did break the law which is why two arrests, it should have been a lot more arrests.

B0ycey

Quote from: papasmurf on February 08, 2022, 11:10:38 AM
Actually it was a very strange bedfellows protest about multiple issues and frankly the lot should have been arrested and subjected to mental health sections and psychiatric assessment.

One man's protest is another man's annoyance Pappy. You either support free speech or you don't. I have no issue with restraining orders or barriers to protect MPs as they leave Westminster. And more should have been done to protect Starmer leaving. But if the protesters didn't break the law they should be there whether we agree with their message or not.

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on February 08, 2022, 11:07:29 AM
 They were an anti vaccine protest