Boris Johnson backtracks on Jimmy Savile slur as he seeks to 'clarify' remarks

Started by papasmurf, February 03, 2022, 03:37:41 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Labour and Left supporters having a field day. Of course it is purely out of national interest - and my name is Mata Hari!!   Dancing Dancing Dancing

HDQQ

To lose one chief adviser, Mr. Johnson, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose two looks like carelessness stupidity.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on February 03, 2022, 03:51:49 PM
I have some sympathy for Boris the man. He sat there while Starmer insulted him and called him everything under the sun and even begged Conservative MPs to sack him. Now fair enough some of it is deserved and then in retaliation understandably Boris got up and said the harshest thing he could come up with. Perhaps he did believe that Starmer had failed re Saville, but compared to what Starmer had said of Boris it was small fry. Starmer gave a personal character assassination - it was as bad as it could be.  Boris is not the worst man ever to be PM or even the worst man in Parliament. It is all over blown for no other reason than political gain and that is on both sides of the House.

At least Starmer was calm and considered in his treatment of Boris,. Far more so than , Blackford, was .Both had full reason to challenge Boris,. Only clever use of terminology by Boris, prevents him from bowing to the challenges that are being thrown his way. And not just from the other side of the house.
Boris, on the other hand resorted to a careless slur. We all know what the inference was, and it was a despicable attempt to call Starmers integrity into question. On an issue that has long been known to have had nothing personally to do with Starmer. And Boris, knows that full well. Basic dishonesty again, when will people realise he can not help himself.

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on February 03, 2022, 04:07:16 PM
Plus the impression now is that Starmer did not prosecute Savile because he did not know what was going on.

Boris is on the ropes, but clearly he can still land a few :)

But he didn't land anything. Every single media outlet including the Torygraph and Daily Tor-Mail has made it clear Starmer was not responsible for Jimmy Saville and those who think this was a win for Johnson are those who continue to stand by the clown. This was another own goal. His head of policy has now resigned over this and his reputation will take a hit. He can't play this card ever again now and if he had played it correctly he might been able to have insinuated something by referencing that was a time Starmer had to apologise for the actions of others under his watch. Like a bull in the china shop, Johnson will lie to get out of a hole but instead just end up making the hole deeper. You cannot fix stupid.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on February 03, 2022, 04:07:16 PM
Plus the impression now is that Starmer did not prosecute Savile because he did not know what was going on.

Now this:-

https://news.sky.com/story/munira-mirza-boris-johnsons-policy-chief-quits-over-use-of-jimmy-savile-slur-against-sir-keir-starmer-12532074

Breaking
Munira Mirza: Boris Johnson's policy chief quits over PM's use of Jimmy Savile 'slur' against Sir Keir Starmer

Political reporter @GregHeffer

Thursday 3 February 2022 16:08, UK

Boris Johnson's policy chief has quit over the prime minister's use of a discredited claim that Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer failed to prosecute Jimmy Savile.

Munira Mirza has resigned from her £145,000-a-year role after Mr Johnson today declined to apologise for his comments.

In a resignation letter to the prime minister, as published by The Spectator magazine, Ms Mirza wrote: "I believe it was wrong for you to imply this week that Keir Starmer was personally responsible for allowing Jimmy Savile to escape justice.
"There was no fair or reasonable basis for that assertion. This was not the usual cut and thrust of politics; it was an inappropriate and partisan reference to a horrendous case of child sex abuse.
"You tried to clarify your position today but, despite my urging, you did not apologise for the misleading impression you gave."

Ms Mirza's departure will come as a fresh blow to Mr Johnson as he seeks to shore up his position in Number 10 amid the partygate scandal.

She has been a longtime ally of the prime minister and previously worked with Mr Johnson when he was London mayor.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on February 03, 2022, 03:54:34 PM
He had no choice to backtrack on his comments. He isn't protected by parliamentary privilege outside the chamber and could be sued if he continued the lie.

Clearly the idea was to take the focus off him when he was questioning Sue Gary and it backfired on him. But I guess we should put this on the lie pile he has made for himself.

Algerie Francais !

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on February 03, 2022, 03:51:49 PM
Boris is not the worst man ever to be PM
Yes he is. Nobody has brought parliament into such disarray than Johnson. 

B0ycey

He had no choice to backtrack on his comments. He isn't protected by parliamentary privilege outside the chamber and could be sued if he continued the lie.

Clearly the idea was to take the focus off him when he was questioning Sue Gary and it backfired on him. But I guess we should put this on the lie pile he has made for himself.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on February 03, 2022, 03:37:41 PM
I think Boris is starting to realise he needs to stop and think before he puts  both feet in his gob again.

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-02-03/pm-backtracks-on-jimmy-savile-slur-as-he-seeks-to-clarify-remarks

Thursday 3 February 2022, 1:44pm
Boris Johnson appears to have backtracked on his claim that Keir Starmer failed to lock up paedophile Jimmy Savile, accepting the Labour leader had "nothing to do personally" with a decision not to prosecute the disgraced entertainer.

The PM said he wanted to "clarify" his remarks because "a lot of people have got very hot under the collar" about the widely debunked claim.
"Let's be absolutely clear, I'm talking not about the Leader of the Opposition's personal record when he was DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) and I totally understand that he had nothing to do personally with those decisions," Mr Johnson said.
I have some sympathy for Boris the man. He sat there while Starmer insulted him and called him everything under the sun and even begged Conservative MPs to sack him. Now fair enough some of it is deserved and then in retaliation understandably Boris got up and said the harshest thing he could come up with. Perhaps he did believe that Starmer had failed re Saville, but compared to what Starmer had said of Boris it was small fry. Starmer gave a personal character assassination - it was as bad as it could be.  Boris is not the worst man ever to be PM or even the worst man in Parliament. It is all over blown for no other reason than political gain and that is on both sides of the House.

papasmurf

I think Boris is starting to realise he needs to stop and think before he puts  both feet in his gob again. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2022-02-03/pm-backtracks-on-jimmy-savile-slur-as-he-seeks-to-clarify-remarks

Thursday 3 February 2022, 1:44pm
Boris Johnson appears to have backtracked on his claim that Keir Starmer failed to lock up paedophile Jimmy Savile, accepting the Labour leader had "nothing to do personally" with a decision not to prosecute the disgraced entertainer.

The PM said he wanted to "clarify" his remarks because "a lot of people have got very hot under the collar" about the widely debunked claim.
"Let's be absolutely clear, I'm talking not about the Leader of the Opposition's personal record when he was DPP (Director of Public Prosecutions) and I totally understand that he had nothing to do personally with those decisions," Mr Johnson said.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe