Money will be tight

Started by T00ts, February 03, 2022, 10:20:30 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on August 14, 2022, 07:03:08 AM
But you still dodge the point.
On the contrary. I have just addressed it.

But you and I keep going round in circles when it comes to taxing the better off and will never agree, so it is rather fruitless continuing, to be honest.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on August 14, 2022, 06:24:44 AM
If someone on 1000 an hour takes home 500 an hour, 500 an hour is still well worth working for. 6.60 an hour rather less so.

I see all around me plenty of disincentivised low paid workers. Never yet seen a disincentivised millionaire.
But you still dodge the point. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on August 14, 2022, 06:01:09 AM
You think it's more disincentivising to have 4 quid taken off you than 500? Maybe that's because you still haven't addressed the point that maybe the big earner has a  £100K+ student loan to pay? Maybe they studied hard for 5 years whilst all their mates played out, then 2 years doing A-levels, followed by 7 years to become a chartered accountant! You just see some 'rich guy' and want to tax them in order to help the person who did none of the above and now feels sorry for them selves. Can you not appreciate that point Steve?
If someone on 1000 an hour takes home 500 an hour, 500 an hour is still well worth working for. 6.60 an hour rather less so.

I see all around me plenty of disincentivised low paid workers. Never yet seen a disincentivised millionaire.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on August 13, 2022, 09:57:45 PM
At what point did I say that I stopped working when I hit the tax brackets? I never said that. I did say that some of my colleagues did, but that's not me.

As for higher earners, 50 percent of 1000 an hour is still 500 an hour.  66 percent of a tenner is only 6.60. It is not rocket science to suggest that the latter is more disincentivising than the former.
You think it's more disincentivising to have 4 quid taken off you than 500? Maybe that's because you still haven't addressed the point that maybe the big earner has a  £100K+ student loan to pay? Maybe they studied hard for 5 years whilst all their mates played out, then 2 years doing A-levels, followed by 7 years to become a chartered accountant! You just see some 'rich guy' and want to tax them in order to help the person who did none of the above and now feels sorry for them selves. Can you not appreciate that point Steve?

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on August 13, 2022, 10:08:25 AM
A lot of crooks companies treat their workers like that.
Yes, my working week from clocking in every day to clocking out every day this week is 50 and a half hours, though only 44 and a half of them are paid, 7 of them at time and a quarter. This is because our breaks are still a part of our clocked in shift but we are not paid for them.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on August 13, 2022, 03:49:14 PM
Ok, I misunderstood your comment there, but this is typical left wing mentality.
'Im not working any more hours cause the government is taking a third off me'. You're taking 66% of it home, and if you'd rather sit at home with your coat on than earn extra money then the conversation is over.

And you're the one advocating a 50% tax on people who have grafted their whole life to achieve success and you are now stating you switch off at the 20% threshold cause you don't want to pay tax.

In this life there are Wolves and Sheep, your choice Steve, remain a Sheep or start working for what you want. Actually do long hours, 60+ hours a week, earn more money and pay the tax you so readily bestow on others. If they tell you the hours aren't available get a second job, less time at home so less fuel bills and more money!'
At what point did I say that I stopped working when I hit the tax brackets? I never said that. I did say that some of my colleagues did, but that's not me.

As for higher earners, 50 percent of 1000 an hour is still 500 an hour.  66 percent of a tenner is only 6.60. It is not rocket science to suggest that the latter is more disincentivising than the former.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on August 13, 2022, 09:49:05 AM
No. I stated quite clearly at the start that I was referring to my take home pay once I hit the tax brackets. My first 1000 or so garners no tax, so I pretty much take home 10.10 an hour until I get to that figure, at which point my hourly take home drops right nown to about 6.74.

I know of colleagues who only work enough hours to get to about 1000 a month, then don't work anymore because for low paid hourly rated workers, the tax deductions become too disincentivising. For my first thousand i take home 10.10 an hour, after which my hourly take home pay drops to about 6.74 an hour due to tax deductions.
Ok, I misunderstood your comment there, but this is typical left wing mentality.
'Im not working any more hours cause the government is taking a third off me'. You're taking 66% of it home, and if you'd rather sit at home with your coat on than earn extra money then the conversation is over. 

And you're the one advocating a 50% tax on people who have grafted their whole life to achieve success and you are now stating you switch off at the 20% threshold cause you don't want to pay tax.

In this life there are Wolves and Sheep, your choice Steve, remain a Sheep or start working for what you want. Actually do long hours, 60+ hours a week, earn more money and pay the tax you so readily bestow on others. If they tell you the hours aren't available get a second job, less time at home so less fuel bills and more money!'

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on August 13, 2022, 09:49:05 AM
No. I stated quite clearly at the start that I was referring to my take home pay once I hit the tax brackets. My first 1000 or so garners no tax, so I pretty much take home 10.10 an hour until I get to that figure, at which point my hourly take home drops right nown to about 6.74.

I know of colleagues who only work enough hours to get to about 1000 a month, then don't work anymore because for low paid hourly rated workers, the tax deductions become too disincentivising. For my first thousand i take home 10.10 an hour, after which my hourly take home pay drops to about 6.74 an hour due to tax deductions.
Sorry I missed that. :(

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on August 13, 2022, 10:08:25 AM
>:(

And they wonder why they cant get the staff ?

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 13, 2022, 09:56:42 AM
Is that legal ?    Even in construction where bosses give nothing away you get half hour paid break for every 4 and a half hours worked . Maybe its industry specific but it seems a bit strange if they can get away with that

QuoteWorkers have the right to one uninterrupted 20 minute rest break during their working day, if they work more than 6 hours a day. This could be a tea or lunch break. The break doesn't have to be paid - it depends on their employment contract.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on August 13, 2022, 07:08:41 AM
 Also our breaks are unpaid.

Is that legal ?    Even in construction where bosses give nothing away you get half hour paid break for every 4 and a half hours worked . Maybe its industry specific but it seems a bit strange if they can get away with that 

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on August 13, 2022, 09:27:42 AM
Are you forgetting your non taxable allowance?

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on August 13, 2022, 09:09:28 AM
Your maths are wrong.. 20 percent income tax plus 13.25 percent NI equals a deduction of 33.25 percent, which is very nearly a third. A third of 10.10 is approximately 3.36. 10.10 minus 3.36 is 6.74.

Where you got the 1.36 an hour in tax is a complete mystery to me. Unless you only took NI into account which would be close to that figure and forgot about income tax
Are you forgetting your non taxable allowance?

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on August 13, 2022, 07:58:58 AMBased on those figures you're only paying £1.36 per hour in tax and NI so how you get £6.75 take home I'm not sure.
Your maths are wrong.. 20 percent income tax plus 13.25 percent NI equals a deduction of 33.25 percent, which is very nearly a third. A third of 10.10 is approximately 3.36. 10.10 minus 3.36 is 6.74.

Where you got the 1.36 an hour in tax is a complete mystery to me. Unless you only took NI into account which would be close to that figure and forgot about income tax

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on August 13, 2022, 07:08:41 AM
Your maths are wrong. I am lucky if I bring home 1400, more typically it is about 1250.

I only have a part time contract but work full time hours by grabbing as much overtime as I can get. Also our breaks are unpaid.

Take this week. One day off and five 8 and a half hour days plus an 8 hour sunday. Because these shifts each come with two half hour breaks, I am getting five lots of 7 and a half hours pay = 37 and a half hours, plus seven hours at time and a quarter on sunday - 8 and 3 quarter hours.

46 and a quarter hours pay. This is an exceptional week. Some weeks there is less overtime available. Next week I only have 38 paid hours.

My employer is very reluctant to let you work many more hours than I am doing this week because tired staff make mistakes, and if you make one they tend to hold the fact that you are overdoing it against you. My manager has already spoken to me advising me to be careful.

And our pay was only 9.55 an hour, though it has just gone up to 10.10, the first benefit of which will be in the next pay packet. Will see what difference that makes. It is worth bearing in mind that once you hit the tax brackets you are losing a third of that 10.10 in tax, and only taking home about 6.75 an hour
Two things there, you aren't doing long hours as was the only explanation, cause it never questioned you maths. But I have to question your maths on your hourly rate. Based on those figures you're only paying £1.36 per hour in tax and NI so how you get £6.75 take home I'm not sure.