Cost of energy and the cost of living crisis.

Started by papasmurf, February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on August 05, 2022, 07:21:31 PM
That all depends on how many do it.
This is true, if millions just don't pay, they will be stuck between a rock and a hard place, but if they do cut you off, you need a fall back.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 05, 2022, 06:59:12 PM
Well I've done just that, and given notice to my energy supplier I'm looking for another.

They said they're sorry to hear that, and until they hear otherwise they are quite happy to continue to supply me at the capped variable rate (which they were before,  my fixed deal ended a while before insanity hit) on condition I pay for what I have actually used within what seems to.be about 18 days of their asking for it.

Nobody wanted me as a new customer so for about nine months now octopus has emailed me a statement and a payment link and I have paid it on the last day they say I must.

They haven't whinged or cut me off and I suspect they won't. I'm finding it easier to meet the demanded money than the direct debit that was massively more.

Paying for actual usage each month suits me just fine. They're getting what the meter days I've used and strangely (not) the bills are actually a lot LESS than what they were while I was being robbed blind.

The protest and don't pay lark won't end well. All the companies will do is cut you off and sell your debt to a recovery company screwing your chances of future credit....

I have also made other arrangements for heat and power, so they won't be getting a lot.

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 05, 2022, 07:22:05 PM
They wanted to frack, but you and others said that miniscule earth tremors that hardly were visible in your teacup were a price too high.
Freezing or cowtowing to an enemy is much better, eh?
Did I,when was that then?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on July 27, 2022, 10:21:16 PM
Itv news tonight doing it's corporal Jones best " Don't panic but gas bills might rise to £500 per month"

Whatever the case long term plans must be made that should've been made decades ago.
They wanted to frack, but people said that miniscule earth tremors that hardly were visible in their teacup were a price too high.
Freezing or cowtowing to an enemy is much better, eh?
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 05, 2022, 06:59:12 PM
Well I've done just that, and given notice to my energy supplier I'm looking for another.

They said they're sorry to hear that, and until they hear otherwise they are quite happy to continue to supply me at the capped variable rate (which they were before,  my fixed deal ended a while before insanity hit) on condition I pay for what I have actually used within what seems to.be about 18 days of their asking for it.

Nobody wanted me as a new customer so for about nine months now octopus has emailed me a statement and a payment link and I have paid it on the last day they say I must.

They haven't whinged or cut me off and I suspect they won't. I'm finding it easier to meet the demanded money than the direct debit that was massively more.

Paying for actual usage each month suits me just fine. They're getting what the meter days I've used and strangely (not) the bills are actually a lot LESS than what they were while I was being robbed blind.

The protest and don't pay lark won't end well. All the companies will do is cut you off and sell your debt to a recovery company screwing your chances of future credit....
That all depends on how many do it.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Sheepy on August 05, 2022, 05:40:26 PM
Well guess what my direct debits are up at the beginning of September and they will be cancelled.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

cromwell

cromwell

Itv news tonight doing it's corporal Jones best " Don't panic but gas bills might rise to £500 per month"

Whatever the case long term plans must be made that should've been made decades ago.

Sheepy

You forgot to mention Professor they produce reliable power 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
Rolls-Royce gets funding to develop mini nuclear reactors - BBC News

Nick

Quote from: Barry on July 27, 2022, 06:56:50 PM
Rising and falling tide is a truly reliable source of energy, however, the costs are very high or we would be close to self sufficient by now.
We are an island and we have plenty of highly intelligent scientists and thinkers with imagination.

Unfortunately, our potential enemies see our lack of energy self sufficiency as a weakness, which they know can't be fixed overnight. Maybe in a decade.
Maggie had the right idea but nobody had her vision. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on July 27, 2022, 06:35:29 PM
Net zero is a pipe dream, but a laudable one. A bit like jumping into a river to save a dog, drowning yourself and the dog walks up the bank.

Given JoGs maximum of 650W/Square metre in bright sunshine, and a requirement of 35GW for the UK, even on a bright summers day we need 35,000,000,000 / 650 square metres producing energy 24 hours a day.

That's 54 square kilometres of solar cells. Which is not anywhere near enough on cloudy days or at night. In Winter, when we need energy the most, the sun is up for 8 hours, and often very weak.
Not sure where these figures have come from but there is enough solar energy hitting the earth to power the world 10,000 times over. 30% land at 8hrs Sun so we need 1/400th of the Earth covered in Panels based on 40% efficiency. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Rising and falling tide is a truly reliable source of energy, however, the costs are very high or we would be close to self sufficient by now.
We are an island and we have plenty of highly intelligent scientists and thinkers with imagination.

Unfortunately, our potential enemies see our lack of energy self sufficiency as a weakness, which they know can't be fixed overnight. Maybe in a decade.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 27, 2022, 06:35:29 PM
Net zero is a pipe dream, but a laudable one. A bit like jumping into a river to save a dog, drowning yourself and the dog walks up the bank.

Given JoGs maximum of 650W/Square metre in bright sunshine, and a requirement of 35GW for the UK, even on a bright summers day we need 35,000,000,000 / 650 square metres producing energy 24 hours a day.

That's 54 square kilometres of solar cells. Which is not anywhere near enough on cloudy days or at night. In Winter, when we need energy the most, the sun is up for 8 hours, and often very weak.
But solar's not the only source. There's hydro, wave and wind and, in some places geothermal heat sources. Where's our imagination...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: patman post on July 27, 2022, 05:07:10 PM
We've already got access to fusion — it mostly rises in the East and sets in the West a few hours later. The clever bit is collecting all that free energy that's available in the middle period and using it, or storing it in a way that it can be released without creating greenhouse gases and other pollution.

† The end is nigh †