Cost of energy and the cost of living crisis.

Started by papasmurf, February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on February 04, 2022, 11:55:44 AM
They had to stop fracking. It was causing earthquakes. It wouldn't matter so much if we had vast open spaces. But if it means cities and towns falling into itself, it isn't really worth the fuel. Besides, there is more than enough gas in the North Sea to keep us warm if the idea is to be net zero in a decades time.
How much of it has been exported this year does the amount differ from other years? 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on February 04, 2022, 11:41:36 AM
Not as bad as freezing to death, though.
The huge rise in energy costs will lead to hypothermia deaths anyway. (It already is.)

https://fullfact.org/online/Excess-winter-deaths-UK/

About 25,260 excess deaths occurred in GB over winter 2018/19—a lower number than in recent years—and most were in people of pension age. Cold weather is a major contributor to these deaths, but there are a number of causes.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

B0ycey

Quote from: Barry on February 04, 2022, 11:41:36 AM

They had to stop fracking. It was causing earthquakes. It wouldn't matter so much if we had vast open spaces. But if it means cities and towns falling into itself, it isn't really worth the fuel. Besides, there is more than enough gas in the North Sea to keep us warm if the idea is to be net zero in a decades time.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on February 04, 2022, 11:06:52 AM
Obviously you are unaware of the damage fracking does and the aftermath of the costs of clean ups being put on tax payers.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on February 04, 2022, 10:52:05 AM
What we should do is go heavily into fracking,
Obviously you are unaware of the damage fracking does and the aftermath of the costs of clean ups being put on tax payers.

HallowedBrexit

What we should do is go heavily into fracking, stop the green BS and completely cut foreign aid.

Also VAT must be completely abolished.

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on February 04, 2022, 10:48:12 AM
The stupidity was going green too early and shutting down investment in North Sea gas when the gas was the transition fuel for us. And now the government see their mistake and are trying to reverse that. Because at this moment in time, Labours plan of a windfall tax on profits from the energy sector makes more sense than Sunaks loan and the only reason Sunak won't do it is because he wants investment in North Sea. We should never have closed down the golden goose to begin with. And that has nothing to do with this crisis but in general. Reliance on fuel means you are at the mercy of other nations. And the green figures means shit. You might look pretty but you are still polluting the planet by using other nations fuel and they profit from that and the CO2 levels still increase in real terms.
For me personally "going green" would cost far more than I can afford. (I stopped counting at £50000.)

Barry

We need to take VAT off home energy bills, remove the net zero 12% levy for a start.
The Greens have one MP in parliament. I admit the Tories had green stuff in their manifesto but they are too extreme.
† The end is nigh †

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on February 04, 2022, 10:32:12 AM
Well whilst I accept they haven't thought this through you can go back decades that some foresaw this problem and thought we should go down the nuclear route.

Whatever the case this like so many other problems we face is down to short termism  policy and direction not thought through instead what they thought might be poupular or advantageous to a small minority or the usual we know best.
The stupidity was going green too early and shutting down investment in North Sea gas when the gas was the transition fuel for us. And now the government see their mistake and are trying to reverse that. Because at this moment in time, Labours plan of a windfall tax on profits from the energy sector makes more sense than Sunaks loan and the only reason Sunak won't do it is because he wants investment in North Sea. We should never have closed down the golden goose to begin with. And that has nothing to do with this crisis but in general. Reliance on fuel means you are at the mercy of other nations. And the green figures means shit. You might look pretty but you are still polluting the planet by using other nations fuel and they profit from that and the CO2 levels still increase in real terms.

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on February 04, 2022, 10:32:12 AM
Well whilst I accept they haven't thought this through you can go back decades that some foresaw this problem and thought we should go down the nuclear route.

Whatever the case this like so many other problems we face is down to short termism  policy and direction not thought through instead what they thought might be poupular or advantageous to a small minority or the usual we know best.
Policy driven by short term profit and brown envelopes in other words. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on February 04, 2022, 10:13:50 AM
Are you telling me that Sunaks £200 loan won't tie you over?

Massive lol yesterday. Given Johnson and America seem hell bent on making a crisis out of Ukraine, it is a safe bet gas prices will continue to rise. Which means next year you won't have an illusion of £200 being taken off your bills, you will also have the increase of wholesale prices on top of that AND YOU WILL HAVE THE £40 REPAYMENt put on too. I have heard of can kicking, but when the £40 is put on peoples bills next year with even bigger fuel bills, there is going to be an uproar. I don't think the government thought this one through. Clearly too busy partying than thinking.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on February 04, 2022, 10:13:50 AM

For many people facing £thousands per year increases in April due to government policy that £200 will go nowhere and a loan has to be paid back.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on February 04, 2022, 10:10:30 AM
Yes, I'm rich, but won't be for much longer, the way the Tories are hiking inflation and dissing us pensioners.
I luckily for me took a decision to get a two year fixed price contract for my electricity supply, it involved a small upfront payment and the contract doe not run out until February 2023.
My electricity usage has been dropping over time due to appliance that are more energy efficient, and changing the methods and appliances  used for cooking. Also I use 19kg gas cylinders for the two ring gas hob we have that is usually fitted into boats. (I have two years supply of gas bottles.)
The "ersatz" coal I use for the open fire back boiler central heating has just gone down in price by 5%.
What I cannot mitigate is the massive increase in the cost of petrol and the sneaky rise in road tax that seems to have slipped under most peoples radar.
"Basics" in supermarkets appear to be slowly disappearing and the cost of food in general is escalating with Brexit a factor.
Whilst I will be effected by cost of living increases, it won't be as bad for me as it will for many where I live and the need for food banks just keeps on rising, as do rents, and other bills people have to pay.

B0ycey

Quote from: papasmurf on February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM
I have to assume as there is no thread on the subject on the cost of energy and the cost of living crisis. (Which is why I have started one.) That you are all rich enough not to be harmed by them.

Massive lol yesterday. Given Johnson and America seem hell bent on making a crisis out of Ukraine, it is a safe bet gas prices will continue to rise. Which means next year you won't have an illusion of £200 being taken off your bills, you will also have the increase of wholesale prices on top of that AND YOU WILL HAVE THE £40 REPAYMENt put on too. I have heard of can kicking, but when the £40 is put on peoples bills next year with even bigger fuel bills, there is going to be an uproar. I don't think the government thought this one through. Clearly too busy partying than thinking.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM
I have to assume as there is no thread on the subject on the cost of energy and the cost of living crisis. (Which is why I have started one.) That you are all rich enough not to be harmed by them.
Yes, I'm rich, but won't be for much longer, the way the Tories are hiking inflation and dissing us pensioners.
† The end is nigh †