Cost of energy and the cost of living crisis.

Started by papasmurf, February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on February 04, 2022, 03:59:36 PM

I dare say the bungs Sunak handed out yesterday broke his frugal heart, but the government does appear to be doing something.

A loan is as good as doing nothing actually. It just increases the bills down the road.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on February 04, 2022, 02:38:22 PM
You are rambling again, has gas been diverted for profit or not causing an energy and cost of living crisis leading to inflation, I know it doesn't compute because the pair of you couldn't work out what day it was without help.
If you kept up with current affairs you would not need to keep asking stupid questions.  It is you who is ignorant and ******* annoying.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58637094

Does the UK face a gas shortage?

The government says the UK's energy bill crisis is due to high global gas prices, not security of supply.
It says the UK has a "diverse and secure" range of suppliers.
However, that could change quite rapidly if Russian gas becomes scarce, causing a knock-on effect as other countries scrabble for alternative supplies.
Demand for gas is rising across Europe and some fear the UK could be physically - and perhaps politically - at the back of the queue.
What's more, the UK has scant storage facilities. It's been increasingly operating a "just-in-time model", which means it's more affected by short-term price fluctuations in the wholesale gas market.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

B0ycey

Quote from: Thomas on February 04, 2022, 03:55:28 PM
You are full of it.

You insinuated further up the thread the uk doesnt export ( presumably you meant gas , but as ever you were being vague to leave yourself a get out clause) then when pushed , you are now trying to move the goalposts to make out you meant the uk government  doesnt export , as gas isnt nationalised . We all know gas isnt nationalised , but the "we " that was being talked about earlier obviously meant the "uk ".

Honestly boycey , i wish you would stop being so fackin disingenuous all the time. You destroy your own credibility , and if you carry on you will end up a figure of ridicule like pappysmurf.

take some advice , stope it.
I was talking about Fracking Thomas. It isn't my fault Sheepy didn't read the thread correctly.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on February 04, 2022, 03:48:16 PM

As UK households feel pressure, how are other European countries tackling energy crisis?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jan/31/as-uk-households-feel-pressure-how-are-other-european-countries-tackling-energy-crisis

I am a bit lost on that one Tommy.

According to the Guardian the EU is handing out all manner of goodies to help its citizens overcome the energy kerfuffle, while the UK government is doing sod all, paid late.

I dare say the bungs Sunak handed out yesterday broke his frugal heart, but the government does appear to be doing something. And with both Boris and little Nick both being seriously unloved, some more cash will become available
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: B0ycey on February 04, 2022, 03:47:07 PM
We export because drilling isn't nationalised. He is basically repeating what I have said but in more detail.
You are full of it.

You insinuated further up the thread the uk doesnt export ( presumably you meant gas , but as ever you were being vague to leave yourself a get out clause) then when pushed , you are now trying to move the goalposts to make out you meant the uk government  doesnt export , as gas isnt nationalised . We all know gas isnt nationalised , but the "we " that was being talked about earlier obviously meant the "uk ".

Honestly boycey , i wish you would stop being so fackin disingenuous all the time. You destroy your own credibility , and if you carry on you will end up a figure of ridicule like pappysmurf.

take some advice , stope it.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

B0ycey

Quote from: Barry on February 04, 2022, 03:43:18 PM
Actually, no. Thomas is pretty knowledgeable and has just taught me, with Sheepy's help that we are exporting gas at a very high rate whilst the prices for gas in the domestic market are going through the roof.
Meanwhile Smurf and Boycey stick their fingers in their ears and shout la la la.
We export because drilling isn't nationalised. He is basically repeating what I have said but in more detail.

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on February 04, 2022, 03:45:31 PM
I went to the self service till in Waitrose and a message flashed up asking if I would like to round up my payment to help the poor. Piss off I said, I am f**king poor.

I felt a bit ashamed because it was clearly a well brought up robot, but I have decide to save money by not contributing to food banks.
:D

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on February 04, 2022, 10:27:28 AM
I luckily for me took a decision to get a two year fixed price contract for my electricity supply, it involved a small upfront payment and the contract doe not run out until February 2023.
My electricity usage has been dropping over time due to appliance that are more energy efficient, and changing the methods and appliances  used for cooking. Also I use 19kg gas cylinders for the two ring gas hob we have that is usually fitted into boats. (I have two years supply of gas bottles.)
The "ersatz" coal I use for the open fire back boiler central heating has just gone down in price by 5%.
What I cannot mitigate is the massive increase in the cost of petrol and the sneaky rise in road tax that seems to have slipped under most peoples radar.
"Basics" in supermarkets appear to be slowly disappearing and the cost of food in general is escalating with Brexit a factor.
Whilst I will be effected by cost of living increases, it won't be as bad for me as it will for many where I live and the need for food banks just keeps on rising, as do rents, and other bills people have to pay.

I went to the self service till in Waitrose and a message flashed up asking if I would like to round up my payment to help the poor. Piss off I said, I am f**king poor.

I felt a bit ashamed because it was clearly a well brought up robot, but I have decide to save money by not contributing to food banks. 

How about you guys?
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: B0ycey on February 04, 2022, 03:06:48 PM
Thomas is just repeating what I have explained to you. We don't operate our own gas and are at the mercy of the free market. Perhaps if he actually read this thread first he might have aimed his post towards you.
Actually, no. Thomas is pretty knowledgeable and has just taught me, with Sheepy's help that we are exporting gas at a very high rate whilst the prices for gas in the domestic market are going through the roof.
Meanwhile Smurf and Boycey stick their fingers in their ears and shout la la la.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on February 04, 2022, 03:06:48 PM
Thomas is just repeating what I have explained to you. We don't operate our own gas and are at the mercy of the free market. Perhaps if he actually read this thread first he might have aimed his post towards you.

Who knew now you are the expert on the matter, all my fault obviously.  
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on February 04, 2022, 03:03:01 PM
I will leave you with Thomas you can get some more education. You might not like it though.

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on February 04, 2022, 03:00:10 PM
Well you're the free market Blairite. You think people don't operate under a profit? You can blame Thatcher for that. She was the one who sold everything off.
I will leave you with Thomas you can get some more education. You might not like it though. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on February 04, 2022, 02:51:10 PM
Like drawing frigging teeth. It was staring you in the face.

Well you're the free market Blairite. You think people don't operate under a profit? You can blame Thatcher for that. She was the one who sold everything off.

Thomas

Quote from: Sheepy on February 04, 2022, 02:38:22 PM
You are rambling again, has gas been diverted for profit or not causing an energy and cost of living crisis leading to inflation, I know it doesn't compute because the pair of you couldn't work out what day it was without help.
Boycey has never heard of the bacton gas terminal to zeebrugge gas pipeline interconnector? Well fack me.

It was under tony blairs labour government that the uk became a net importer of energy when it didnt need to be, encouraged by both labour and tory governments , yet it was september last year the uk recorded its highest ever daily export level of gas on record.

Two thirds of the uk current gas fields are in scottish waters , so you can imagine the latest announcement is going down like a fackin lead ballon in an energy rich country like scotland.

French energy prices have rocketed as well , with electricity rising by nearly 50 % , but the french government has stepped in to soften the blow so that french consumers will only face a 4 % increase.

The state of whats happening in the uk regarding energy is chickens coming home to roost  , caused by disgracefull policies of both red tory and blue tory over the last 40 years.

Scotland has more oil reserves than norway , yet norway has consistently made more money from its oil industry than the uk as the uk wont tax companies like shell any where near what they should.

Oil and gas giants gain from tax cuts as Scottish fuel bills to rise

https://www.businessforscotland.com/oil-and-gas-giants-gain-from-tax-cuts-as-scottish-fuel-bills-to-rise/

Highest-ever Zeebrugge basis leads to record UK gas export

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/natural-gas/092921-highest-ever-zeebrugge-basis-leads-to-record-uk-gas-export