Cost of energy and the cost of living crisis.

Started by papasmurf, February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on February 13, 2022, 09:50:41 AM
1. Just because it was reported in the Daily Mail doesn't mean it's not true.
2. Similar things have been reported by the Daily Express and the Daily Telegraph.
The problem with that is they are all the same when it comes to the truth. The truth and all three of them are strangers.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HallowedBrexit

Quote from: srb7677 on February 13, 2022, 09:27:42 AM
Without having looked deeply into the arguments for and against fracking, I will not comment for or against it and am open to persuasion either way.

But whilst having not really found the time to look at what either of those two sources has to say about it, I can state with reasonable confidence that whatever the British Geological survey has to say about it is going to be far more reliable and factually accurate than anything said in the Daily Mail. And that's because the former is a reasonably reliable fact checking source whilst the latter is notoriously unreliable, often putting political agendas above factual accuracy. The Mail has been successfully sued for damages numerous times in it's history. This has not yet happened to the British geological survey.

So those hoping to persuade me are best advised to link to facts from reliable sources, and avoid relying on links to the Daily Mail. Because if the latter is the best they can do it will only cast more doubt upon the veracity of their argument rather than reinforcing it.

1. Just because it was reported in the Daily Mail doesn't mean it's not true.
2. Similar things have been reported by the Daily Express and the Daily Telegraph.

srb7677

Quote from: papasmurf on February 13, 2022, 08:57:36 AM
I prefer the British Geological survey to the Daily Heil.
Without having looked deeply into the arguments for and against fracking, I will not comment for or against it and am open to persuasion either way.

But whilst having not really found the time to look at what either of those two sources has to say about it, I can state with reasonable confidence that whatever the British Geological survey has to say about it is going to be far more reliable and factually accurate than anything said in the Daily Mail. And that's because the former is a reasonably reliable fact checking source whilst the latter is notoriously unreliable, often putting political agendas above factual accuracy. The Mail has been successfully sued for damages numerous times in it's history. This has not yet happened to the British geological survey.

So those hoping to persuade me are best advised to link to facts from reliable sources, and avoid relying on links to the Daily Mail. Because if the latter is the best they can do it will only cast more doubt upon the veracity of their argument rather than reinforcing it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

HallowedBrexit

Quote from: Thomas on February 12, 2022, 07:51:35 PM
5 years gas supply?

Theres a wee bit more of it than that pappy , according to brillo.....

The solution has been under our feet for more than a decade. Britain sits on some of the world's richest reserves of shale gas. The Bowland Field in Lancashire harbours 37.6 trillion cubic metres of the stuff. Even if we were to extract only 10 per cent of it — through a process called fracking — we'd have enough gas to be self-sufficient for 50 years.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10503839/ANDREW-NEIL-madness-ignore-answer-energy-crisis-thats-lying-feet.html
Thanks Thomas.

If there is a Bonanza there we need to harvest it.

That's exactly why we voted leave.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on February 13, 2022, 09:01:34 AM
I didnt know you were an expert on fracking as well pappy. Thank fack we have you on here to keep us right.
No expertise necessary.  (You may not be aware the only two gas fracking wells in Britain has just been capped off with concrete,)
Announcement accompanied by the usual factually inaccurate propaganda:-

https://cuadrillaresources.uk/government-orders-plugging-and-abandonment-of-britains-shale-wells-in-midst-of-energy-crisis/

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on February 13, 2022, 08:57:36 AM
I didnt know you were an expert on fracking as well pappy. Thank fack we have you on here to keep us right.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on February 12, 2022, 07:51:35 PM
5 years gas supply?

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on February 12, 2022, 02:29:05 PM
People who oppose fracking do so with good reasons.  Wrecking entire areas of Britain just for only around five years of gas supply is madness.
5 years gas supply?

The solution has been under our feet for more than a decade. Britain sits on some of the world's richest reserves of shale gas. The Bowland Field in Lancashire harbours 37.6 trillion cubic metres of the stuff. Even if we were to extract only 10 per cent of it — through a process called fracking — we'd have enough gas to be self-sufficient for 50 years.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10503839/ANDREW-NEIL-madness-ignore-answer-energy-crisis-thats-lying-feet.html
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on February 12, 2022, 02:24:36 PM
We need to get fracking. Earthquakes less than 2 are really not even worth reporting.
People who oppose fracking have no right to complain about price rises.
People who oppose fracking do so with good reasons.  Wrecking entire areas of Britain just for only around five years of gas supply is madness.

Barry

We need to get fracking. Earthquakes less than 2 are really not even worth reporting.
People who oppose fracking have no right to complain about price rises.
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on February 06, 2022, 07:48:07 PM
The rule of law will have something to say about it, as long as we live in a society that maintains it.

Well quite, although I suspect that for most of 1942/43, the rule of law at Treblinka was having a day off.
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: Borchester on February 06, 2022, 10:44:58 AM
At Treblinka they cremated the corpses on open pyres, with the bodies providing their own fuel. It was horrific and obscene, but tragically, if, like the Nazis you want to be obscene, there isn't much that will stop you.
The rule of law will have something to say about it, as long as we live in a society that maintains it.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on February 06, 2022, 04:36:25 PM
Whats this time for Smurphys afternoon nap 
What afternoon nap? On Sundays I drive my wife to a folk jam session at 14.00 hours and fetch her back at 17.00 hours. Between those times, I am preparing the evening meal and talking to friends on the phone.

Sheepy

Whats this time for Smurphys afternoon nap between the planning of his next great campaign? while Boycey is down the pub in the backroom with whispers of riots and revolution then all back at Smurphys for lessons on torture? 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on February 06, 2022, 12:49:43 PM
Before I address this, I just want to say I agree. But it isn't as simple as you might think. I do think the government wants to be energy sufficient as quickly as possible and the idea is we get all of our energy from renewable sources and preferably those sources being within the UK. Which means we need to keep the levies in order to build the infrastructure. However I would still scrap the charges for two years. It might slow down investment and make us go two years behind our "green targets", but it is better to give people £200 now that they won't have to pay back than ask for £40 each year for five years in the future when in all likelyhood prices will continue to go up.
The cost of EDF Hinkley Point C nuclear power station. Interesting read, more at link:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/initial-agreement-reached-on-new-nuclear-power-station-at-hinkley

The key terms include a "Strike Price" of £89.50 /MWh fully indexed to the Consumer Price Index. This price benefits from an upfront reduction of £3/MWh built in on the assumption that the developer would be able to share the first of a kind costs of the EPR reactors across the HPC and Sizewell C sites. If the EDF Group does not take a final investment decision on Sizewell C, the Strike Price for HPC would be £92.50/MWh. The development of Sizewell C will be subject to relevant consent and regulatory and other approval procedures at the appropriate time.