Cost of energy and the cost of living crisis.

Started by papasmurf, February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 14, 2022, 05:44:29 PM
So step aside and make way for a crew who can .....
Where do you expect their flying saucer to land?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on February 14, 2022, 10:22:17 AMI can't magic up three or four nuclear power stations overnight.
So step aside and make way for a crew who can .....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: B0ycey on February 13, 2022, 04:05:47 PM
Jeez, aren't we are meant to be moving off carbon fuels in 10 years time, and we have the fracking brigade on thinking this might cut down bills. No it won't. These things take time to sort out. And it doesn't matter how much gas is in shale, it isn't worth Lancaster falling into itself. Gas is a traditional fuel in any case. you we might as bleed the North Sea dry whilst the infrastructure is there.
America hasn't fallen into a pit and they want to liquify the gas to ship it to us in the UK. So, we pay more for the processing and shipping, but hey, Lancaster is not being subjected to a tremor little more than a lorry going by, and the people are wondering whether they should eat or heat. Better we produce our own and tell the USA to keep their gas.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on February 14, 2022, 10:28:32 AM
Didn't take long, did it? what about everyone else smurphy?
I can't solve everyone else's problems. 

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on February 14, 2022, 10:22:17 AM
I can't solve a problem that has been 40 years in the making. I can't magic up three or four nuclear power stations overnight.
About all I can do personally is buy an emergency generator. (Which appear to be mainly out of stock at the moment. I would need a minimum of 6kw.)
Didn't take long, did it? what about everyone else smurphy?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on February 14, 2022, 10:16:44 AM
So as usual you have no answers but await somebody else's. when somebody else takes some kind of action you automictically put it down as a failure yet have no idea how to overcome it yourself. 
I can't solve a problem that has been 40 years in the making. I can't magic up three or four nuclear power stations overnight.
About all I can do personally is buy an emergency generator. (Which appear to be mainly out of stock at the moment. I would need a minimum of 6kw.)

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on February 14, 2022, 10:10:07 AM
In Britain the crises it is down to governments inaction for the last 40 years.  (There is also no gas buffer storage in Britain.)

So as usual you have no answers but await somebody else's. when somebody else takes some kind of action you automictically put it down as a failure yet have no idea how to overcome it yourself.  

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on February 14, 2022, 09:43:54 AM
Sure you do, now how about the present crisis? not what you think you know or don't know, which has its roots in the global cartel.
In Britain the crises it is down to governments inaction for the last 40 years.  (There is also no gas buffer storage in Britain.)

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on February 14, 2022, 08:44:27 AM
I understand far more than you think, the energy supply and price problems in Britain have roots going back 40 years, with the current government making matters worse.  What little base generation is left is either past it's use by date or being held together with duct tape and baler twine. Reliable base load electricity generation 24/7/365 is no longer available. Around a third of it relies on expensive gas turbine generation, and around 10% on Nuclear which is all well beyond design life.

Sure you do, now how about the present crisis? not what you think you know or don't know, which has its roots in the global cartel. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on February 13, 2022, 10:27:40 PM
Which bit of the crisis has deepened didn't you understand, people are having to choose between heating eating more and more. Eventually that will mean you as well.
I understand far more than you think, the energy supply and price problems in Britain have roots going back 40 years, with the current government making matters worse.  What little base generation is left is either past it's use by date or being held together with duct tape and baler twine. Reliable base load electricity generation 24/7/365 is no longer available. Around a third of it relies on expensive gas turbine generation, and around 10% on Nuclear which is all well beyond design life. 

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on February 13, 2022, 05:26:06 PM
If I were using critical path analysis about 40 years ago. (Seriously.)
Which bit of the crisis has deepened didn't you understand, people are having to choose between heating eating more and more. Eventually that will mean you as well. 

srb7677

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on February 13, 2022, 09:50:41 AM
1. Just because it was reported in the Daily Mail doesn't mean it's not true.
2. Similar things have been reported by the Daily Express and the Daily Telegraph.
lol lol lol lol lol lol 
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

B0ycey

Quote from: Sampanviking on February 13, 2022, 04:30:36 PM
Say yes to Nordstream 2 and tell the yanks and their overpriced LNG to take a hike.
I agree with the sentiment, however NS2 can't really be running until the mess is sorted. Of course I blame us more than Russia for it. Stop the rhetoric and listen to Russian concerns and actually compromise and then we can have our cheap gas. But the Cold War mentality is strong with right wingers so what can you do.

Perhaps this is another example of Johnson not tackling the cost of living crisis. Playing the Ukraine card to save his premiership.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on February 13, 2022, 04:42:00 PM
So where would you start?
If I were using critical path analysis about 40 years ago. (Seriously.)