Cost of energy and the cost of living crisis.

Started by papasmurf, February 04, 2022, 08:24:25 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 25, 2022, 03:40:49 PM
Well we should withold every milliwatt until the bastards get more gendarmes on the Dover barriers. They want our f**king power, they need to do their f**king job.

This is why we are being treated the way we are. We are fools to continue.
Never placate a bully it only makes them worse..

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry on July 25, 2022, 03:36:24 PM
As a matter of interest, in the current UK energy mix, the wind is blowing well and providing 10GW of power.
Coal is providing 1GW of power. Gas is providing about 10GW and Nuclear about 5GW.
We are sending 2GW of power over to France as there is a European shortfall.
I wonder if France will sell that to their customers as "green energy".
Well we should withold every milliwatt until the bastards get more gendarmes on the Dover barriers. They want our fucking power, they need to do their fucking job.

This is why we are being treated the way we are. We are fools to continue.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

As a matter of interest, in the current UK energy mix, the wind is blowing well and providing 10GW of power.
Coal is providing 1GW of power. Gas is providing about 10GW and Nuclear about 5GW.
We are sending 2GW of power over to France as there is a European shortfall.
I wonder if France will sell that to their customers as "green energy".
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on May 04, 2022, 05:25:29 PM
I've just seen a headline that says people are refusing food from food banks because they cannot afford to cook it.

That's the beans on toast out then. Maybe cold beans on bread and butter?
I'll stop chucking the odd bag of pasta in the food bin at Waitrose then  if they dont want it .

Barry

I've just seen a headline that says people are refusing food from food banks because they cannot afford to cook it.

That's the beans on toast out then. Maybe cold beans on bread and butter?
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on March 02, 2022, 10:13:40 AM
I'm not talking next week,it'll take awhile to get going again,do you think gas and fuel prices are going to come down long term?
Yes I think they will come down . Its a volatile market that reacts to global events . 

Government will also be aware that there is a limit to what people can pay . We have probably past that limit and adjustments will be made to bring the costs down in the long term ...... hopefully . 

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on March 02, 2022, 12:27:13 PM
More like the alternative to Russian gas is liquid gas and that will have a knock on effect on prices. It seems Russia is now going to build a pipe to China to counter this but I have no idea what the Western plan is. I am expecting prices to double next year.

It could well happen Boycey, you might well have called it right.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on March 02, 2022, 12:03:56 PM
Because they so dumb they don't have the ability to listen, commodity brokers don't care if you freeze, or if you cannot afford to get to work.They love a war for profit, last time they bought it up at rock bottom and held the tankers at sea until it had rocketed.

More like the alternative to Russian gas is liquid gas and that will have a knock on effect on prices. It seems Russia is now going to build a pipe to China to counter this but I have no idea what the Western plan is. I am expecting prices to double next year.

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on March 02, 2022, 11:27:09 AM
More like it is going to double. Russia are the biggest exporter of gas and second in oil.

Because they so dumb they don't have the ability to listen, commodity brokers don't care if you freeze, or if you cannot afford to get to work.They love a war for profit, last time they bought it up at rock bottom and held the tankers at sea until it had rocketed.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on March 02, 2022, 10:13:40 AM
I'm not talking next week,it'll take awhile to get going again,do you think gas and fuel prices are going to come down long term?
More like it is going to double. Russia are the biggest exporter of gas and second in oil.

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 02, 2022, 10:00:13 AM
Freeze ?  Spring has sprung on the Costa del Croydon ,give it a couple of weeks and it will be almost tropical ;D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on March 01, 2022, 11:15:27 AM
Fracking time for a rethink before we all freeze,breathing space for Nuclear power renewables or whatever.
Freeze ?  Spring has sprung on the Costa del Croydon ,give it a couple of weeks and it will be almost tropical ;D

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on March 01, 2022, 11:15:27 AM
Fracking time for a rethink before we all freeze,breathing space for Nuclear power renewables or whatever.
Nuclear power is the obvious answer. In the days before climate change was considered a major issue I tended to oppose it due to the long life of radioactive waste. But when the facts chage, so must opinions sometimes. Nuclear energy is reliable and it does not pump out greenhouse gasses. We should rely on nuclear fission generators until we have learned to make fusion work. There is very little radioactive waste with fusion.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Fracking time for a rethink before we all freeze,breathing space for Nuclear power renewables or whatever.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

johnofgwent

Id be quite keen to know how much a gallon of petrol, a gallon of diesel, and a kilowatt of electricity costs in various countries around the world right now.

And if you think it's been bad, brace yourselves, Putin is about to weaponise prices. For the god knows how many'th time.

There's a reason the yanks go to war over oil.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>