Jimmy Carr....A joke too far?

Started by cromwell, February 05, 2022, 08:29:42 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

I am sickened at Netflix's suggestion that I should pay to listen to Jimmy Carr's filth.

So I have downloaded it for free from Youtube :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crdaGolaBxY
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 07, 2022, 10:26:26 AMWe in turn can choose if its funny or not . 
But it is impossible to find Carr's joke funny without ourselves having a substanstial degree of malice towards the target group. Because it requires that to regard the notion of their mass murder as any kind of positive on any level, even for humorous effect. Anyone without such malice could never find a joke about their murder funny.

So the obnoxiousness of Carr is not so much in uttering a joke which many were always going to find offensive, and which gypsies themselves were bound to find offensive, especllialy the surviving relatives of those the Nazis murdered. Though that is itself obnoxious enough. It is the fact that he expressed humour that can only be seen as such by haters and bigots, and gambled that there were enough of these in the audience.

The fact that no one on this forum thus far found the joke the least bit funny is to everyone's credit here.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on February 07, 2022, 11:10:14 AMthe potentially murderous underlings are out there amongst us living ordinary lives right now if ever we were to find ourselves under such a regime.
Far too many of them on internet forums.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Thomas on February 06, 2022, 03:13:40 PMSurely humour is in the eye of the beholder.
That is indeed so. I remember growing up to Englishman, Scotsman, Irishman jokes when younger, where the Irishman always ended up being a bit of a div. Of course what lay behind such humour originally was racist attitudes towards the Irish expressed humorously, but by the time I was coming of age the racist sentiment behind it had largely vanished, and it waas just traditional himour. It would no longer have mattered which nationality had ended up being the div. If it had been the Englishman being the bit of a div I would have still laughed if the joke itself was funny. None of us meant anything by it, we never really paid it much thought. The Irish themselves might well have objected to such humour because they might well have been aware that back in, for example, the 19th century, such humour would have been intended as racist mockery. Times move on, perceptions change, and sometimes things once regarded as acceptable cease to be.

I think there is always a line that should not be crossed, but where that line is is highly subjective and varies from person to person, so a one size fits all moral code of acceptability is pretty much impossible. Personally, I think that calling the gassing to death of thousands of innocent people as a positive just to get a laugh is crossing the line for most of us, hence the widespread furore, far from all of which hails from what some might call the wokish left (though in fact there are none more woke than centrist liberal Blairite types, who are not really left in most other senses at all).

It is impossible to find such a joke funny unless the person laughing himself harbours a degree of malice or hatred towards the target group which allows him to psychologically connect with the notion of their deaths being a positive, at least for the purposes of humour. And therefore find it funny. Most of us would just find it wholly unfunny if not offensive.

But the reaction of the crowd was more worrying than the joke itself in this instance. Because whilst quite a few laughed, many others clapped. Now if you laugh at something it is because you find it funny. But if you clap it is often because you are in agreement with the sentiments or opinions just expressed. In essence those who clapped, and there were quite a few of them, agreed with the notion that gassing to death thousands of gypsies was a positive.

We sometimes struggle to understand how millions of ordinary Germans could do what they did between 1933 and 1945. But listening to that crowd is a window into why and how it could happen anywhere. You just need enough ordinary people to hate a target group enough, and the wrong type of murderous regime in power to allow it to happen. Once they already view the target groups's gassing to death not merely as funny but as an actual good thing, then we already have people who'd do what millions of Germans did if ever there were to be similar circumstances here. Fortunately, I still believe the latter to be unlikely, but the potentially murderous underlings are out there amongst us living ordinary lives right now if ever we were to find ourselves under such a regime.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on February 06, 2022, 03:13:40 PM
How so?

Surely humour is in the eye of the beholder. What one finds funny another maybe doesnt , and anyone who has been the butt end of a joke will undoubtedly take offence?
Not sure what you are saying here streetwalker...are you saying the japs or incidents like hiroshima are off limits?

surely the principle in this thread is the right of comedians to take the piss out of whoever they see fit without some group or outrage mob calling for censorship or apology. Not wether a particular comedian or joke is funny.

Why is it alright to take the piss out the french , but not roma gypsies?Why do we have to get outraged about one particular historical incident like the nazi holocaust , but keep quiet about the british atrocities during the south african holocaust during the boer war?

The principle to me is the fact this is all part of a wider and concerning issue of attack on freedom of speech , and what is deemed acceptable and who judges what is acceptable and by what authority have they become the arbiters of what is acceptable in society.

I just personally think everyday now we are seeing outrage mobs or victim groups calling for apologies or demanding some statue somewhere is taken down because it causes offence.

Jimmy carr to me is probably one of the worst comedians i have ever heard , but someone somewhere must like him or he wouldnt be a high profile comedian. I dont like him or his jokes , but i defend his right to joke about what he sees fit.

What a sad world we are currently in , where increasingly victim groups with an axe to grind are currently calling for censorship of the internet , clamp down on freedom of speech , and who we should or shouldnt be outraged about .

Im surprised i didnt get banned yesterday for taking the pish out the useless english rugby team.::):)
I dont think anything is off limits Thomas , people who think they are comedians can say what ever they like . We in turn can choose if its funny or not . 
I think we all know where the line is though when it comes to micky taking becoming offensive  . Im not saying it should be censored  we do that ourselves by turning off ,walking out or by not laughing . 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on February 06, 2022, 04:18:03 PM
look up glasgow rangers football club for tax avoidance scams and complete stupidity john.
Football isn't my thing, but I might just do that, or ask my future son in law. He's a fan of the round ball game...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on February 06, 2022, 03:13:40 PM
How so?

Surely humour is in the eye of the beholder. What one finds funny another maybe doesnt , and anyone who has been the butt end of a joke will undoubtedly take offence?
Not sure what you are saying here streetwalker...are you saying the japs or incidents like hiroshima are off limits?

surely the principle in this thread is the right of comedians to take the piss out of whoever they see fit without some group or outrage mob calling for censorship or apology. Not wether a particular comedian or joke is funny.

Why is it alright to take the piss out the french , but not roma gypsies?Why do we have to get outraged about one particular historical incident like the nazi holocaust , but keep quiet about the british atrocities during the south african holocaust during the boer war?

The principle to me is the fact this is all part of a wider and concerning issue of attack on freedom of speech , and what is deemed acceptable and who judges what is acceptable and by what authority have they become the arbiters of what is acceptable in society.

I just personally think everyday now we are seeing outrage mobs or victim groups calling for apologies or demanding some statue somewhere is taken down because it causes offence.

Jimmy carr to me is probably one of the worst comedians i have ever heard , but someone somewhere must like him or he wouldnt be a high profile comedian. I dont like him or his jokes , but i defend his right to joke about what he sees fit.

What a sad world we are currently in , where increasingly victim groups with an axe to grind are currently calling for censorship of the internet , clamp down on freedom of speech , and who we should or shouldnt be outraged about .

Im surprised i didnt get banned yesterday for taking the pish out the useless english rugby team.::):)

Several points there.

I will begin by commenting on your last. You werent banned because no English rugby fan had recovered from the shock well enough to find the report post button.

I don't know which way to go with this. 

I tried to make complaints to the BBC that humour I would cheerfully laugh at with mates in a pub five minutes before closing time has no place being transmitted at 6:30pm when I am sitting down to my evening meal with my kids of eight and twelve. They told me Radio 4 had no water shed.

I tried to complain that the material used by some so called comedian on a show called Four Stands Up where he - and the audience, unless it was canned - found the idea a woman of advancing years would let her Jack Russell terrier screw her, mistaking it for her husband on the grounds of the similarity of the wiry coat to his beard objectionable. They did not respond.

I also complained when Jonathan Ross and Danny Baker thought it funny to crack jokes about the crazy paving in Fred West's Cellar. The BBC denied it had been said. Which was interesting seeing that I had a recording....

I am therefore in two minds.

I find the concept of burning travellers in gas ovens  as a way to save the planet from their transit van emissions quite humorous. And the net is filled with memes of Stephen Fry mouthing off that too many people day they are "offended" well so fucking what.

If he really did say that, and he is among those rabid with Carr, that shows the level of hypocrisy.

I suppose on balance if I have to put up with so called jokes and stand up routines I find humourless being delivered with my tax money then the Jews should STFU too. The problem of course is they think they control the media.....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 06, 2022, 04:16:20 PM
The strange thing about THAT is I cannot for the life of me understand why he did it.

I don't know if anyone can help me out with dates but I was warned off scams like this years ago from three separate sources, none of them HMRC who are bigger crooks than the scheme operators. My accountant was only one of those sources.

Yet when I first saw Carr's name crucified in connection with this scam I am bloody certain the date he was supposed to have got involved was several years after I was told it was a scam.

Far from being outraged at his taking up an offer of this sort, I'm laughing my arse off that he is so f**king stupid that he either failed to bother to engage a proper accountant or not listened to them.
look up glasgow rangers football club for tax avoidance scams and complete stupidity john.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas on February 06, 2022, 09:46:03 AM
wonder how much outrage would be directed at carr from the liberal left if he hadnt once upon a time used a tax avoidance scheme?

The strange thing about THAT is I cannot for the life of me understand why he did it.

I don't know if anyone can help me out with dates but I was warned off scams like this years ago from three separate sources, none of them HMRC who are bigger crooks than the scheme operators. My accountant was only one of those sources.

Yet when I first saw Carr's name crucified in connection with this scam I am bloody certain the date he was supposed to have got involved was several years after I was told it was a scam.

Far from being outraged at his taking up an offer of this sort, I'm laughing my arse off that he is so fucking stupid that he either failed to bother to engage a proper accountant or not listened to them. 

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 06, 2022, 11:01:16 AM
Humour stops and offending begins when people stop laughing .

I remember years ago at a local football do when the 'comedian ' decided to target  a Japanese fella who was the manager of one of the teams  .
His opening gag was one of why do Japs have squinty eyes and went into the expression made at the climax of sex which I suppose was fair game . When he then started what he thought was a joke about Hiroshima the room went into silence . He didn't get another laugh and gave up within 5 minutes .

A joke too far , yes , we stopped laughing . Offended ? No ,just not funny . Carr needs to get his coat .
streetwalker forget i said anything. Thread ruined yet agin by a certain individual.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on February 06, 2022, 04:08:40 PM
Thomas I have had to report your post as well.
Quote from: papasmurf on December 12, 2021, 01:08:18 PM
QuoteI voted Tory tactically. You know zero about the constituency I live in.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on February 06, 2022, 04:03:07 PM
can you stop trolling another thread and making this all yet again about you please? We all know what you said about voting tory.

Thomas I have had to report your post as well.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on February 06, 2022, 03:59:50 PM
Barry they know who reported it and why, I am not allowed to comment as to why.
can you stop trolling another thread and making this all yet again about you please? We all know what you said about voting tory.

QuoteI voted Tory tactically. You know zero about the constituency I live in. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on February 06, 2022, 03:53:45 PM
Well done, Smurf. I'm sure when they see a post has reported, they will guess who has pressed the button. If you hadn't made it another Tory bad thread, it might have stayed on topic.
Barry they know who reported it and why, I am not allowed to comment as to why. 

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on February 06, 2022, 03:46:37 PM
I have had to report that comment to moderation as I am not allowed to respond to it.
you sad auld man. 

like i said to  you , if this was my forum you would be banned permanently for trolling and wasting moderators time not to mention wearying people eyesight with the guff you write.