Rees-Mogg made Brexit opportunities minister as PM reshuffles team

Started by papasmurf, February 08, 2022, 02:27:55 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on February 09, 2022, 12:35:20 PM
This isn't a penny on income tax against a manifesto pledge T00ts. Three years of Boris Johnson will only damage the party and not save his ass. Hence why Thomas loves Johnson. He is hated here beyond repair and if Ross and the Conservatives had any sense, they might as well start a new party because otherwise they are all looking for a new job in three years.
It will be interesting to see who is right.

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on February 09, 2022, 11:37:41 AM
I don't agree. The electorate is notorious for giving the incumbent Government a bloody nose at the local elections. Then usually do something entirely different at the next GE. If the swing is away from Conservative then they will judge the local Councils and see just how appalling they are before the GE and vote accordingly.  ;D

This isn't a penny on income tax against a manifesto pledge T00ts. Three years of Boris Johnson will only damage the party and not save his ass. Hence why Thomas loves Johnson. He is hated here beyond repair and if Ross and the Conservatives had any sense, they might as well start a new party because otherwise they are all looking for a new job in three years.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 09, 2022, 12:05:40 PM

Brexit though was never about what you think you might have lost which is nothing you can't get round but what we will gain in restricting free movement coming in which was an absolute disaster for the working men and women of the UK .
Brexit has been a disaster and the effects are getting worse:-

Just published:-

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/127/public-accounts-committee/news/160856/clear-increase-in-costs-paperwork-and-border-delays-for-uk-business-since-brexit-not-helped-by-repeated-delays-to-new-import-regime/

Chair's comments
Dame Meg Hillier MP, Chair of the Public Accounts Committee, said:
"One of the great promises of Brexit was freeing British businesses to give them the headroom to maximise their productivity and contribution to the economy – even more desperately needed now on the long road to recovery from the pandemic.
Yet the only detectable impact so far is increased costs, paperwork and border delays.
The PAC has repeatedly reported on Brexit preparedness and at every step there have been delays to promised deadlines. It's time the government was honest about the problems rather than overpromising.
In our view, there is much more work that Government should be doing in the short term to understand and minimise the current burden on those trading with the EU, to address the immediate delivery and readiness risks in introducing import controls, and to have a border in place which is operating effectively without further delays or temporary measures."

https://committees.parliament.uk/publications/8781/documents/88926/default/

House of Commons Committee of Public Accounts EU Exit: UK Border post transition Thirty-Sixth Report of Session 2021–22 Report, together with formal minutes relating to the report 

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on February 09, 2022, 11:42:53 AM
You should stay off the strong stuff until after you've finished posting on here for the day! 

When we had EU citizenship we had the general right to travel, live, work or do business anywhere in the EU. Now we can still do those things but we need permission of some sort or another.

Covid has complicated the matter because it makes good sense to restrict travel when a virus is spreading - until you get to a stage where it's everywhere, like omicron, when the restrictions start to look pointless. EU member states were clearly able to restrict movement between each-other so the idea of giving up sovereignty is a myth. In a non-pandemic situation the freedom of movement was a good thing, and now we've lost it.
Of course they could restrict movement during the pandemic between countries . We did even better , you couldn't travel from London to say County Durham  or take your dog for a walk  without getting your collar felt .
 Union Flag

Brexit though was never about what you think you might have lost which is nothing you cant get round but what we will gain in restricting free movement coming in which was an absolute disaster for the working men and women of the UK .

papasmurf

Quote from: HDQQ on February 09, 2022, 11:42:53 AM
You should stay off the strong stuff until after you've finished posting on here for the day! 

When we had EU citizenship we had the general right to travel, live, work or do business anywhere in the EU. Now we can still do those things but we need permission of some sort or another.

The only ways left are now very expensive and complex, and about to get more expensive and complex.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 08, 2022, 11:37:41 PM
The only time you ever had a RIGHT to travel freely across Europe was when my ancestors did it by pillaging whatever the craven French abandoned as they ran from the coast.

Your RIGHT to go anywhere near the place ended in 1973 when Ted Heath handed over our acc SS gained as a right of conquest to a bunch of smarmy left wing shit heads ...

Covid has complicated the matter because it makes good sense to restrict travel when a virus is spreading - until you get to a stage where it's everywhere, like omicron, when the restrictions start to look pointless. EU member states were clearly able to restrict movement between each-other so the idea of giving up sovereignty is a myth. In a non-pandemic situation the freedom of movement was a good thing, and now we've lost it.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on February 09, 2022, 10:28:10 AM
Well it should be said the quote you referenced was on nepotism and not the GE, although I am not expecting much to change in three years and the UK politics right now stinks very much like the last US election where those supporters loyal to Johnson will dig in and everyone else votes for the lesser evil. We will have more of an idea of where the country is in May. And then I expect the letters to be handed in thereafter if Johnson still doesn't resign.

As for nepotism and this reshuffle, we have got one new department for one mate and a moving off the whip who is being accused of bullying for another. Anyone who thinks this reshuffle has anything to do with changing the dynamics and attitudes in Downing Street to give confidence to the public that things will change can only be described as gullible. But then I don't think it matters any more. Whatever side of the coin you're on now is where you are going to be regardless from now on.
I don't agree. The electorate is notorious for giving the incumbent Government a bloody nose at the local elections. Then usually do something entirely different at the next GE. If the swing is away from Conservative then they will judge the local Councils and see just how appalling they are before the GE and vote accordingly.  ;D 

B0ycey

Quote from: Thomas on February 09, 2022, 07:56:34 AM
So you keep saying boycey.

Golden rule applicable again........boycey`s idealistic fantasy world versus reality.

Johnson has without a shadow of a doubt had a rocky time of it.  Despite all his troubles , he has keir starmer opposing him.

That may turn out to be the deciding factor that not only keeps him in power short term , but wins him elections going forward.
Well it should be said the quote you referenced was on nepotism and not the GE, although I am not expecting much to change in three years and the UK politics right now stinks very much like the last US election where those supporters loyal to Johnson will dig in and everyone else votes for the lesser evil. We will have more of an idea of where the country is in May. And then I expect the letters to be handed in thereafter if Johnson still doesn't resign.

As for nepotism and this reshuffle, we have got one new department for one mate and a moving off the whip who is being accused of bullying for another. Anyone who thinks this reshuffle has anything to do with changing the dynamics and attitudes in Downing Street to give confidence to the public that things will change can only be described as gullible. But then I don't think it matters any more. Whatever side of the coin you're on now is where you are going to be regardless from now on.

Thomas

Quote from: B0ycey on February 08, 2022, 04:48:44 PM
Cabinet reshuffle...give jobs to those who have been most loyal it seems. I wonder, will this reshuffle have any respect or legitimacy given those who have jobs are those who were most vocal about being anti mandate. I doubt it. But then I doubt Johnson can expect good polling from now on anyway. So if you are going down, you might as well do down nepotism style.
So you keep saying boycey.

Golden rule applicable again........boycey`s idealistic fantasy world versus reality.

Johnson has without a shadow of a doubt had a rocky time of it.  Despite all his troubles , he has keir starmer opposing him.

That may turn out to be the deciding factor that not only keeps him in power short term , but wins him elections going forward.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on February 08, 2022, 10:42:47 PM
Where are the Brexit opportunities?  Is Rees-Mogg going to get us back our right to travel freely throughout the EU? Is he going to get us back the right to live, work or do business anywhere in the EU?  Is he going to give us a voice in decision making by Brussels on rules that we'd have little choice but to obey anyway?

The only time you ever had a RIGHT to travel freely across Europe was when my ancestors did it by pillaging whatever the craven French abandoned as they ran from the coast.

Your RIGHT to go anywhere near the place ended in 1973 when Ted Heath handed over our acc SS gained as a right of conquest to a bunch of smarmy left wing shit heads ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

Where are the Brexit opportunities?  Is Rees-Mogg going to get us back our right to travel freely throughout the EU? Is he going to get us back the right to live, work or do business anywhere in the EU?  Is he going to give us a voice in decision making by Brussels on rules that we'd have little choice but to obey anyway?
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on February 08, 2022, 04:59:05 PM
Good for him, I have no idea what all that means but a ministerial post is like a pay rise, plus maybe somebody will actually do something and stop playing to remain. Nobody likes a bad loser.

Well it sounds like a made up department to me. I am struggling to see how it compliments what the Trade secretary does.

Sheepy

Good for him, I have no idea what all that means but a ministerial post is like a pay rise, plus maybe somebody will actually do something and stop playing to remain. Nobody likes a bad loser. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

B0ycey

Cabinet reshuffle...give jobs to those who have been most loyal it seems. I wonder, will this reshuffle have any respect or legitimacy given those who have jobs are those who were most vocal about being anti mandate. I doubt it. But then I doubt Johnson can expect good polling from now on anyway. So if you are going down, you might as well do down nepotism style.

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on February 08, 2022, 02:41:40 PM

What is Angela Rayner on about?
Fack knows borkie , does anyone ever know what angela rayner is ever on about?

People talk about uk politics and how low standards and ability have dropped , where they you go , perfect example.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!