And they are off!

Started by Borchester, February 09, 2022, 12:25:27 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on February 11, 2022, 09:56:08 AM

Boris is disgusting, but he will get the job done.
There is little sign of that happening.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on February 11, 2022, 08:50:17 AM
Boris vs the Blob: the real reason John Major can't stand the PM

Sir John's sense of irony in choosing this subject is clearly not strong considering he spent much of his spectacularly undistinguished premiership struggling to subsume British parliamentary democracy under the dictates of the openly undemocratic European Union. Nonetheless he chips in with the usual tropes of the anti-Boris brigade: the PM is demeaning standards, undermining probity, telling fibs. We all know the familiar words of the song.

But in belatedly clambering aboard the creaking anti-Boris bandwagon over partygate, Major is at least demonstrating one thing that becomes plainer by the day: the chorus of denunciation of Johnson and his administration appears to have less to do with illicit parties, wine glugging, and cake scoffing, than with the 'Blob' exacting revenge for Brexit.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/boris-vs-the-blob-the-real-reason-john-major-can-t-stand-the-pm

::):D

True Tommy  And there is a further bit from that article..

As Prime Minister, the government he leads has been following a non-Conservative agenda that should warm the heart of any left-thinking observer: dedicated to Net Zero, splashing the cash like a Formula One winner on the podium, taxing high earners till their eyes bulge, racking up debt, running down the armed forces, worshipping at the altar of the sacred NHS, throwing open the borders to all comers, from the point of view of a right-on Islingtonian, what's not to like?

Brexit, that's what. Still fighting their neverendum certain Blobbers, so used to having things go their way for the past half century, view the man who brought us Brexit as the one who betrayed the favourite cause of his caste. For that alone he must be punished. They seek not only Johnson's removal from office but his total humiliation.

I tend to feel that there is a certain amount of inverted snobbery about the whole business. Major is a genuinely decent chap who ran away from the circus because well, the pension prospects weren't much and frankly, he found the whole business somewhat risqué. Johnson on the other hand, stayed and his turn as a Petomane to the tune of Ode to Joy, has made him one of the most popular performers in the country.

Boris is disgusting, but he will get the job done. Major? Nice bloke, but I am not really sure what he is on about
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on February 11, 2022, 09:17:19 AM
But not 54 of them Pappy, and that is the bit that counts.
Numbers not known. (yet)

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on February 11, 2022, 08:54:18 AM
I would say to Boris:- Unitam coniurati te in foro interficiant.
But not 54 of them Pappy, and that is the bit that counts.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

I would say to Boris:- Unitam coniurati te in foro interficiant.

Thomas

Boris vs the Blob: the real reason John Major can't stand the PM

Sir John's sense of irony in choosing this subject is clearly not strong considering he spent much of his spectacularly undistinguished premiership struggling to subsume British parliamentary democracy under the dictates of the openly undemocratic European Union. Nonetheless he chips in with the usual tropes of the anti-Boris brigade: the PM is demeaning standards, undermining probity, telling fibs. We all know the familiar words of the song.

But in belatedly clambering aboard the creaking anti-Boris bandwagon over partygate, Major is at least demonstrating one thing that becomes plainer by the day: the chorus of denunciation of Johnson and his administration appears to have less to do with illicit parties, wine glugging, and cake scoffing, than with the 'Blob' exacting revenge for Brexit.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/boris-vs-the-blob-the-real-reason-john-major-can-t-stand-the-pm

::):D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on February 10, 2022, 07:56:52 PM
More than a bit rich Moronic Major criticising the behaviour of Boris over partygate,did he get curried eggs for breakfast after sex?
john major screaming again and again about boris and brexit . You know cromwell , i can just about vaguely remember his premiership , and as you insinuate, major screaming about partygate is hilarious with what went on during his reign.

I tell you one thing i agree with the bould gerald , in that brexit will never be over till remainers like john major have slaughtered johnson and overturned brexit and tied us back into the EU.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on February 09, 2022, 12:25:27 PM
According to the BBC Boris is off to face his critics in the House of Commons, where it is expected that he will fall under the styluses of 54 Tory rebels at the foot of Margaret Thatcher's statue, where he will cry,
"irrumabo multum te"

Then Rees Mogg will help him to his feet and Bojo will come up with another cunning plan.

I had to look that up. When I started reading Wikipedia's article I was puzzled as to why I was never told of the poet's existence as an 18 year old in sixth form taking Latin to assist my understanding of the long words in biology 

Then I got to the bit where they translated it.

I agree with you. Boris probably would day something like that, and in the chamber, safe in the knowledge the only man who ever took the oath to sit there and be paid for so doing who would understand it, Enoch Powell, is long dead.

Toots (and others of a delicate sensitivity) don't look it up, and the rest of you for gawds sake don't use a work computer.

I agree with Wikipedia though; Latin is indeed an exact language for the application of sexual insult. 

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on February 10, 2022, 07:56:52 PM
More than a bit rich Moronic Major criticising the behaviour of Boris over partygate,did he get curried eggs for breakfast after sex?
probably just a sneering bottom :):)
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on February 10, 2022, 01:26:40 PM
What have I missed?

I got to the bit about Boris declaring war on Russia and Moaning Minnie Major refusing to see the funny side of it, but I can't see how it has upset anyone.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on February 10, 2022, 11:07:09 AM
Horse falls at the first fence. Dancing

What have I missed?

I got to the bit about Boris declaring war on Russia and Moaning Minnie Major refusing to see the funny side of it, but I can't see how it has upset anyone.
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on February 09, 2022, 12:25:27 PM
According to the BBC Boris is off to face his critics in the House of Commons, where it is expected that he will fall under the styluses of 54 Tory rebels at the foot of Margaret Thatcher's statue, where he will cry,
"irrumabo multum te"

Then Rees Mogg will help him to his feet and Bojo will come up with another cunning plan.

The thing is though, I have to move the washing machine and dishwasher, lay three sheets of 2400 x 1200 x 12 ply, seal off the pipework and generally creak about like a blue bummed fly that has seen better days. So I will probably miss a lot of it.

So I am relying on you lot to keep me up to speed.

Don't let me down. Your feed back need not be true, just interesting
Horse falls at the first fence. Dancing
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

"irrumabo multum te"

The thing is though, I have to move the washing machine and dishwasher, lay three sheets of 2400 x 1200 x 12 ply, seal off the pipework and generally creak about like a blue bummed fly that has seen better days. So I will probably miss a lot of it.

So I am relying on you lot to keep me up to speed.

Don't let me down. Your feed back need not be true, just interesting
Algerie Francais !