Cressida Dick resigns

Started by Barry, February 10, 2022, 07:24:51 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on February 12, 2022, 11:50:45 AM
As I said though not just London you even dislike Cornwall,who do you blame for this not the tourists is it?.
Perhaps you can get Cressida to retire there and sort it for you. :P

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10503061/Reckless-drivers-mount-pavement-pass-bin-lorry-Cornwall-Video.html
I dislike irresponsible incompetent idiots, wherever and whoever they are.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on February 12, 2022, 11:04:45 AM
There are numerous webcams in London. If no-one ever complained nothing would ever get done.
As I said though not just London you even dislike Cornwall,who do you blame for this not the tourists is it?.
Perhaps you can get Cressida to retire there and sort it for you. :P

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10503061/Reckless-drivers-mount-pavement-pass-bin-lorry-Cornwall-Video.html
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on February 11, 2022, 06:09:10 PM
https://www.see.cam/gb/eng/london/pimlico-a23-brixton-rdstockwell-rd
You couldn't have picked a more busy junction if you had tried . If you turn left there about 50 yards up the road is Stockwell Park estate . I was repairing a parapet wall on there a few years back .

I had to drill and fix some ties into the brickwork and had a the electric running up from the site compound .Anyway the drill cut out and as I leant over the scaffold to shout down at the idiot in the yard to fill up the generator I saw two black fellas running up the road with it . Well struggling ,falling over and making complete idiots of themselves as the lads at the other end of the scaffold were cheering them on 

But thats life , stuff happens ,its whats living in a City is about , life . 

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on February 12, 2022, 10:47:46 AM
Fair enough,at least you've been.
As I said rubbish a quick gander at a webcam does not enable you to come to your conclusions.

Let's face it you don't like anywhere very much,not least where you live always complaining.
There are numerous webcams in London. If no-one ever complained nothing would ever get done.

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 12, 2022, 10:21:52 AM
A fair point.

I used to think London somewhere worth spending time. I went to Earls Court and other places like it for trade fairs, product launches and the lunches that went with them. I worked in offices in Croydon, Chessington, Chiswick and Finsbury Pavement. I went to meetings in rooms hired from Saatchi and Saatchi. And I played D&D sitting at the next table to the one Gary Gygax was playing at. I've done the sights including finding huge cracks in the structural legs of the London Eye from the cabin POD relying on those legs not to topple !! I've probably done most of the big museum's and art galleries. It was fun

But not any more. Something's changed on the streets. Something is different in the tube. The staff at the railway seem just as helpful as they were when Palin rode the DMU from Felixstowe to Liverpool Street the year before I rode the same train the other way, but the atmosphere is not the same.

And the streets, which were never paved with gold, seem grimier, and the rain a little more Ridley Scott.
Fair enough,at least you've been.
Quote from: papasmurf on February 11, 2022, 06:09:10 PM
https://www.see.cam/gb/eng/london/pimlico-a23-brixton-rdstockwell-rd

As I said rubbish a quick gander at a webcam does not enable you to come to your conclusions.

Let's face it you don't like anywhere very much,not least where you live always complaining.

Scott777

Quote from: Barry on February 11, 2022, 02:48:41 PM

The Met must have the same, but they need to have a zero tolerance to crime as they did in New York.
They need more officers targeted towards organised crime and homicides.
Internally, they need better human resources to employ the right kind of people in the force. That is where good policing starts, with good staff.

It's more a problem of lack of will to deal with serious crime, than an excess of tolerance.  The Met turn a blind eye to crimes if it doesn't fit the narrative.  Must not focus on minorities.  Must come down hard on hurty words, and excess noise, and disobedience.  The Met need complete reform.  The last thing we want is regular cops with guns.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on February 11, 2022, 02:19:17 PM
How do you know if you don't go?
A fair point. 

I used to think London somewhere worth spending time. I went to Earls Court and other places like it for trade fairs, product launches and the lunches that went with them. I worked in offices in Croydon, Chessington, Chiswick and Finsbury Pavement. I went to meetings in rooms hired from Saatchi and Saatchi. And I played D&D sitting at the next table to the one Gary Gygax was playing at. I've done the sights including finding huge cracks in the structural legs of the London Eye from the cabin POD relying on those legs not to topple !! I've probably done most of the big museum's and art galleries. It was fun

But not any more. Something's changed on the streets. Something is different in the tube. The staff at the railway seem just as helpful as they were when Palin rode the DMU from Felixstowe to Liverpool Street the year before I rode the same train the other way, but the atmosphere is not the same.

And the streets, which were never paved with gold, seem grimier, and the rain a little more Ridley Scott.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

papasmurf

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on February 11, 2022, 02:58:46 PM
They say you know when you are old when the cops look like schoolboys but it isn't that that worries me. It's how many have the look of a bouncer. Shaven heads and a rather menacing appearance. Now that they have a walking armoury on their bodies from cameras to tasers, it is easy to understand why some of them feel like they are some sort of pseudo army. With those of a certain type of mind policing by consent is possibly the last thing they think of.

I don't see why they need all that equipment. I mean, the average villain is basically a good hearted soul who upon being apprehended by PC Dixon grins sheepishly and says, #It is a fair cop guv' nor ," and calmly accepts the bracelets.

We are lucky that today's criminals are never on drugs, don't have mental health issues or belong to postcode gangs that will kill complete strangers for 5 minutes of fame
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on February 11, 2022, 02:48:41 PM
My daughter and son-in-law both commute to London. I visit London occasionally and never really feel threatened. It does seem the high violent crime rate is generally confined to a particular sector of society, which makes a tall strong white man in his 60s feel quite safe.
That's not to say the violent crime does not need stamping out, it does.
A retired D.I. I used to go to church with in West Mids was on a team targeting and infiltrating gangs and organised crime.
The Met must have the same, but they need to have a zero tolerance to crime as they did in New York.
Internally, they need better human resources to employ the right kind of people in the force. That is where good policing starts, with good staff.
They say you know when you are old when the cops look like schoolboys but it isn't that that worries me. It's how many have the look of a bouncer. Shaven heads and a rather menacing appearance. Now that they have a walking armoury on their bodies from cameras to tasers, it is easy to understand why some of them feel like they are some sort of pseudo army. With those of a certain type of mind policing by consent is possibly the last thing they think of.

Barry

My daughter and son-in-law both commute to London. I visit London occasionally and never really feel threatened. It does seem the high violent crime rate is generally confined to a particular sector of society, which makes a tall strong white man in his 60s feel quite safe.
That's not to say the violent crime does not need stamping out, it does.
A retired D.I. I used to go to church with in West Mids was on a team targeting and infiltrating gangs and organised crime.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on February 11, 2022, 01:28:01 PM
I don't like any town or city, I don't like crowds. London was bad enough in the 1970s it is far worse now.
How do you know if you don't go?