Charity begins at home

Started by cromwell, February 10, 2022, 10:43:42 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

This charity was supposed to be about supporting the NHS in a time of crisis. It was mooted that they may be able to afford extra staff as a result of the huge sum raised, but staff costs have to be sustainable from a budget, so if the money runs out it doesn't work. The government are already in the midst of a plan to increase NHS staffing levels, and not before time, but it has to be government led to be properly costed for the future.
What the money could be used for is gifts and one off events and short term projects with no long term finance implications.
As it is it would buy a lot of doughnuts, which I have seen the NHS always has money for.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on February 11, 2022, 10:36:53 AM
Obviously instance, but if I took the p out of each of your typos and grammar errors I'd be up all night.
I have serious manual dexterity problems, (which is why my wife has to operate the smart phone I purchased which is only used for documentation the government insists can only be filled out online when we are out of the country.)
That I make typos is result of that manual dexterity problem and loss of feed back in my fingers. (It is also why I had to purchase a second torque wrench when tightening nuts and bolts with low torque specifications.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on February 11, 2022, 08:17:51 AM
Constance?
Obviously instance, but if I took the p out of each of your typos and grammar errors I'd be up all night.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Agree with much of whats been said so far . I think more people are now realising donating to  the charity industry is maybe not the best way to give 

srb7677

Only have time for a short sentence or two.

I seldom give to charities anymore because half my money seems to end up going to fat cat salaries for those running them, feathering the nests of people far better off than me to start with. Until something is done about that I am unlikely to give anything soon.

These days I prefer to limit my generosity to individual acts of kindness and in buying food to give to food banks. In the case of the latter, by not giving money I am unlikely to be lining the pockets of some fat cat, and fat cats are unlikely to be interested in my tins of Tesco value baked beans and sausages or whatever it may be. I have some confidence that the food largely ends up going where it is needed, which sadly is often not the case with financial donations.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Well it might and though I don't know whether there's been any wrongdoing in this Instance but the figures illustrate why I am very wary of giving.

In far too many cases imo the amount that goes to the cause which money is given for is lessened by management salary,fees and other expenses where in the worst case the amount is so minimal it's a joke.

The whole charity industry needs shaking up,as does the charity commission.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-60319650
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?