Main Menu

Get a smart meter

Started by cromwell, February 11, 2022, 07:29:29 AM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 11, 2022, 09:16:25 AM
Surely all the energy companies will do in future is put those without smart meters on a higher tariff  ?
Yes they will but if Martin Lewis gets on the case the govt might backtrack,in the words of corporal Jones "they don't like it up 'em"
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 11, 2022, 11:06:00 AM

In Merthyr low income families already have to choose whether to cook tea, have showers or was their clothes. Smart meters installed by the council cut off the power of you try to use more that one 3kw device at a time.
It would not take much to exceed 3kw in my home. Kettle to make tea/coffee , toaster, combination fan oven/grill/microwave, washing machine, air fryer, small grill/oven, plus others electrical equipment.
However we have cut our electricity use compared to the previous year by a third.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

The government have recently realised they can get away with riding roughshod over our rights, so I expect them to make smart meters compulsory soon.
All in the name of being for our own good, to reduce carbon emissions, save money, blah blah blah.
† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Surely all the energy companies will do in future is put those without smart meters on a higher tariff  ?

They already are, if what you mean is they will allow people with them to modify their lifestyle to take advantage of crazy tariffs that work for maybe 5%

It is the only way they can force you to.let them d code when you eat, when you run high power apply ances and when you sleep.

In Merthyr low income families already have to choose whether to cook tea, have showers or was their clothes. Smart meters installed by the council cut off the power of you try to use more that one 3kw device at a time.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on February 11, 2022, 07:29:29 AM
They kept telling us,and some of us said "Sod off" and now we know for sure they'll be used for different tariffs during the day.

It'll save you money they are saying,yeah course it will,breakfast at 2 pm evening meal 1 am and that's without the threat of hackers taking the power down.

Yeah I know I'm a Luddite  ::)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10500391/Poorer-families-face-threat-peak-hours-electricity-rationing.html
I was made aware of this a couple of years ago. I have had this discussion with 2 different power companies. All the meters will eventually do is charge you different rates at different times of day. Not only that apparently it gives the power companies much  more control over how they distribute the power so for example you may have an electric car but find that because power was needed elsewhere say overnight, your car is as flat as a pancake when you get in it to go to work. I think they call it progress. The one chap I recounted this to told me he hadn't heard that and was shocked. Bless him he was trying to get me to have one. I am sure in the end they will be made compulsory. 

papasmurf

Frankly that would still be far less hassle than a smart meter. (Which will not function where I live anyway, which is a not spot or very unreliable mobile phone signal)

Related article:-

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10405685/ALL-smart-meters-need-replaced.html

Vastly expensive roll-out of smart energy meters described as a 'waste of money' - because equipment will become obsolete

• Putting smart energy meters in our homes has cost £11billion so far 
  • This has been paid for by customers through higher bills   
  • However, they rely on 2G and 3G signals, which mobile operators will cut off 
  • Customers will still pay another £2billion for devices obsolete by 2033 

Streetwalker

papasmurf

I informed my electricity supplier some time ago they will fit a smart meter in my home over my dead body.
The British media seem to have been prevented from reporting the problems with smart meter and the resistance to them.
I also pointed out to my supplier smart meters will not work where I live as it is a not spot for the communications for them.

cromwell

They kept telling us,and some of us said "Sod off" and now we know for sure they'll be used for different tariffs during the day.

It'll save you money they are saying,yeah course it will,breakfast at 2 pm evening meal 1 am and that's without the threat of hackers taking the power down.

Yeah I know I'm a Luddite  ::)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10500391/Poorer-families-face-threat-peak-hours-electricity-rationing.html
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?