UK economy rebounds with 7.5% growth last year

Started by Borchester, February 11, 2022, 10:08:27 AM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on February 19, 2022, 12:57:09 PM
Sanctions are not a joke. Russia, for all its size only has an economy the size of Italy. Have you ever been to Russia, your statement tells me you haven't. The people have got nothing, turning Swift off would cripple the country. The U.K. can seize Oligarchs money, all the EU can do is ask one of its members to do that, they can't do it them selves.
Russia will just sell their gas to China Nick and then cripple the European economy. It doesn't matter who,  what or why people in Russia live by/on what matters is that it is a patriotic nation that will accept sanctions and hardship for their nation. But in any case, sanctions are already imposed on Russia and they are coping very well. Any new sanctions will be targeted on Oligarchs given trade sanctions are already about as robust as it can be without doing self harm.

Having said that, the EU will impose sanctions on Russia and now you say that sanctions is a strong response. So which is it? The EU have teeth with sanctions or are they soft like the UK and US by only issuing sanctions and not people. You need to make you mind up.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on February 19, 2022, 12:41:38 PM
It should be said the EU is seriously considering expanding PESCO into a fully functional army though Borkie and then your quips will be just that. Nonetheless  the EU though is still taking about doing the same actions the UK and US are talking about doing in any case. I agree that really the idea of sanctions as a deterrent is laughable but given I doubt Russia is about to invade, unless you have fallen for the Western propaganda of course, whatever the action we threaten doesn't really mean much and this is just chest beating because Biden and Johnson are polling shit right now.
Sanctions are not a joke. Russia, for all its size only has an economy the size of Italy. Have you ever been to Russia, your statement tells me you haven't. The people have got nothing, turning Swift off would cripple the country. The U.K. can seize Oligarchs money, all the EU can do is ask one of its members to do that, they can't do it them selves. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on February 19, 2022, 12:50:33 PM
And which banks do the EU own? And where are these banks? On what EU land are they on?

And which country is going to stand up to Russia?
Germany has it written into its constitution that it won't put troops on foreign soil, French and Italian tanks only have one forward gear and 5 reverse gears so they're not going in.

The EU is a toothless bloc that can only create rules.
Apart from the BofE and part ownership of Lloyds, what banks do the UK own? Santander that is Spanish, HSBC that is Chinese. The EU have control of their financial sector but in any case do "own" the ECB. They also have authority to freeze assets the same way the UK can despite privatisation.

As for not giving Ukraine troops, it you aren't aware neither are the UK or US. Ukraine will fight this war on their own.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on February 19, 2022, 12:01:36 PM
How exactly is BoJo going to do it given a lot of Tories swim in Russian money more like. LOL.

It will be economic and freeze assets, the same way the US and the UK will sanction Russia.
And which banks do the EU own? And where are these banks? On what EU land are they on?

And which country is going to stand up to Russia? 
Germany has it written into its constitution that it won't put troops on foreign soil, French and Italian tanks only have one forward gear and 5 reverse gears so they're not going in. 

The EU is a toothless bloc that can only create rules. 

Thomas

Quote from: B0ycey on February 19, 2022, 12:41:38 PM
It should be said the EU is seriously considering expanding PESCO into a fully functional army though Borkie and then your quips will be just that. Nonetheless  the EU though is still taking about doing the same actions the UK and US are talking about doing in any case. I agree that really the idea of sanctions as a deterrent is laughable but given I doubt Russia is about to invade, unless you have fallen for the Western propaganda of course, whatever the action we threaten doesn't really mean much and this is just chest beating because Biden and Johnson are polling shit right now.
Great stuff. An EU army?

Another nail in the rejoiners coffin. Wouldnt you say comrade?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on February 19, 2022, 12:13:58 PM
Quite. And all little Bear said was that should the Russians invade the Ukraine she will be very, very angry. Since Macron is in the middle of an election campaign, Biden is taking his afternoon nap and the German army goes home at the weekend, there is not a lot else she can do.

It should be said the EU is seriously considering expanding PESCO into a fully functional army though Borkie and then your quips will be just that. Nonetheless  the EU though is still taking about doing the same actions the UK and US are talking about doing in any case. I agree that really the idea of sanctions as a deterrent is laughable but given I doubt Russia is about to invade, unless you have fallen for the Western propaganda of course, whatever the action we threaten doesn't really mean much and this is just chest beating because Biden and Johnson are polling shit right now.

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on February 19, 2022, 12:13:58 PM
Quite. And all little Bear said was that should the Russians invade the Ukraine she will be very, very angry. Since Macron is in the middle of an election campaign, Biden is taking his afternoon nap and the German army goes home at the weekend, there is not a lot else she can do.
In the new communist world order boycey dreams about borkie , tories like yerself will be banned from posting  sense on political forums and sent to the gulags.

The EU make me laugh. While von der lying gives putin a stiff talking to , ( as he roars with laughter) everyone knows the french are the only serious military power in the bloc.

Ze gurmuns are too busy apologising for the war every day of thw week , the irish are too busy getting pissed on poitin and fighting among themselves as ever , and the italians of course are the world record holders for running backwards.

If russia did invade ukraine , the first thing von der lying will do is get straight on the phone to sleepy joe and beg for help.

I tell you , lovely people these remoaners but not the brightest of bulbs .

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on February 18, 2022, 03:25:53 PM
You say this as if there's only good news with CPTPP membership, has a ring of unicorns and sunny uplands about it, you really are a Brexiter at heart.

Have you seen a paper on membership, how does this affect your current trade deals, are their membership costs,  how will disputes be settled. If all tariffs are gone will this impact your local industries, farming, services etc...
Will this impact on UK standard, product, foods etc...
Shipping goods 10,000 miles in a world that is reducing carbon footprint, just might not be the best plan.
What are the benefits to the UK economy, would it be as good as the Australia deal, which the UK Govt expects to see the UK economy grow by 0.02%, at best.  What are the costs, what are the benefits.
Gerry , all i can say is thank fack we have left the EU.

Freedom is something that cant be costed , and is something you dont give away lightly.;D

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on February 19, 2022, 11:23:00 AM
Are you serious? The statement IS THE SPEECH. I knew you weren't going to read it because like everyone who asks for a source, when you provide one they look a tit and dare not find out why by doing some actual research. But to save you ten minutes, Leyen said the EU will sanction Russia should they invade Ukraine. And that is basically the same action as both the UK and the US will take.

Algerie Francais !

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on February 19, 2022, 11:50:14 AM
And how exactly is thevEU going to sanction Russia?
How exactly is BoJo going to do it given a lot of Tories swim in Russian money more like. LOL.

It will be economic and freeze assets, the same way the US and the UK will sanction Russia.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on February 19, 2022, 11:23:00 AM
Are you serious? The statement IS THE SPEECH. I knew you weren't going to read it because like everyone who asks for a source, when you provide one they look a tit and dare not find out why by doing some actual research. But to save you ten minutes, Leyen said the EU will sanction Russia should they invade Ukraine. And that is basically the same action as both the UK and the US will take.
And how exactly is thevEU going to sanction Russia?

B0ycey

Quote from: Barry on February 19, 2022, 09:25:42 AM
That even starts with a lie.
It was created as a trade bloc.

Then it's a bit better till it gets to the advantages of green hydrogen - side-tracked, I think.
Never mind, Joe Biden is convinced Russia will attack, so just hot air then? Joe Biden and van de Leyen's that is.
The Brexiteers are in force speaking shit again it seems.

https://european-union.europa.eu/principles-countries-history/history-eu_en

The EU in its current form only happened after Maastricht which was an expansion of cooperation and the formation of the four free movements. Before that is was the EEC (treaty of Rome) which is the trade bloc you might be thinking of... but if you do than you need to include the Treaty of Paris which was a partnership of former enemies in order to increase European security, prosperity and union. It was indeed a program to prevent war given cooperation and prosperity and working together is the foundations to peace. But even so, all expansions of European partnerships is to increase cooperation and as such to prevent war it should be said.

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on February 19, 2022, 11:15:05 AM
That's not a statement, it's an EU internal speech. Where's the statement from the EU warning Russia of the consequences of war? The fact is they have not warned Russia of anything cause they can't as they don't really exist.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on February 19, 2022, 08:11:51 AM
Just go on Google, there are loads of articles. But here is Leyens word for word account with her speech two days ago on Russia.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/speech_22_1101
That's not a statement, it's an EU internal speech. Where's the statement from the EU warning Russia of the consequences of war? The fact is they have not warned Russia of anything cause they can't as they don't really exist. 

Barry

Quote from: B0ycey on February 19, 2022, 08:11:51 AM
Just go on Google, there are loads of articles. But here is Leyens word for word account with her speech two days ago on Russia.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/speech_22_1101
That even starts with a lie.
QuoteThe very reason why our Union was created is to put an end to all European wars.

It was created as a trade bloc.

Then it's a bit better till it gets to the advantages of green hydrogen - side-tracked, I think.
Never mind, Joe Biden is convinced Russia will attack, so just hot air then? Joe Biden and van de Leyen's that is.
† The end is nigh †