Decency in politics?

Started by T00ts, February 11, 2022, 10:29:57 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on February 12, 2022, 10:30:47 AM
The point is I knew I was and still am sometimes at risk of terrorism.  Most people are unaware that they are. "Whose bomb is that?" is still a question asked about unattended parcels, boxes and similar by people of a certain age and experience.

No one has sent me a bomb yet. Maybe Pappy has had my share?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on February 12, 2022, 10:59:09 AM
It's like  Smurphys version of Austin frigging powers. Wouldn't have become about you by any chance?
Sheepy as John has pointed we are all at risk of terrorist attack, just some people more than others.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on February 12, 2022, 10:30:47 AM
The point is I knew I was and still am sometimes at risk of terrorism.  Most people are unaware that they are. "Whose bomb is that?" is still a question asked about unattended parcels, boxes and similar by people of a certain age and experience.

It's like  Smurphys version of Austin frigging powers. Wouldn't have become about you by any chance? 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 12, 2022, 10:01:40 AM
Well if we are going there, you're hardly the only one are you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on February 11, 2022, 07:22:59 PM
I have been at risk of terrorism for all of my 73 years.

Well if we are going there, you're hardly the only one are you.

I've been a terrorist target all my life. When your father and grandfather are known by states hostile to us to have been rather useful in development of its defensive and offensive capabilities all manner of swivel eyed loons are invited to put a stop to it by all means necessary.

I have remarked on here before that the police and government staff brought in to show the DWP staff where my daughter is a team leader how to guard against becoming a victim of terrorist violence were curious at her lack of concern and skill at doing the checks. Until she pointed out her dad used to vivisect animals for studies into protecting troops against chemical weapons, and then switched careers and went into making nukes and nuclear power systems.

My uncle was targeted by the Israelis for helping the Saudis, and by the Saudis for helping the Iranians and the Israelis. At the same time. And of course my radar systems were sold on to one side in the conflict diamond business and my missile systems those radar systems were modified to detect more easily were sold to the other, and that at a time I was being paid freelance to extend the Lloyds of London insurance software to offer limited cover to businesses in both warring sides in said diamond wars ...

So yeah, I'm rather used to the idea that someone wants me dead and that was long before Peter Hains Boot Boys were handed my mugshot as  Hope Not Hates Public Enemy Number Six. 

Christ they were fucking amateurs at least the Animal Liberation Front managed to PUT a provisional IRA inspired device under my car. 

So pardon me but you're not remotely alone in having been or continuing to be a target for terrorist violence in the name of the cause, whatever it is, but the fact is a combination of warmongering, sucking up to the great Satan the United States and open door policies on immigration has made EVERY man woman and child in this shithole at greater risk of death or injury through guerilla warfare since world war two.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on February 11, 2022, 07:48:33 PM
 But the British, well we still think we rule the waves and really haven't a clue.
Who is this "we?"   Tories who wear union flag underpants?

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on February 11, 2022, 07:33:29 PM
The trouble is that each Government builds on what went before, either trying to repair any damage they envisage or accepting some of the past and absorbing it into the system. I suppose it is inevitable since politics yoyos between opposites all the time but no-one actually takes a clean sweep. I would love someone really radical to go in with a really clear idea of how this country could improve. We have become such a medley of weaknesses.
Well that's what I've been trying to say,they all go for short term measures,none think what's best for the country.....on.y for themselves.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

B0ycey

Decent and decency really do have different meanings. Being that I have only been led by Tory governments (Blair and Brown were Tories), all the decent leaders were before my time. But decency is more linked to behaviour. Major had decorum. In fact I would say all leaders have been professional and adhere to etiquette required of leadership except one. I thought Thatcher was going to be the worse PM in my lifetime and then Johnson came about and has changed the rules completely. And perhaps at this moment in time we should be doing better anyway. I have not been impressed with Johnson or Truss over their handling of Ukraine and until Russia actually do something everyone should lessen the rhetoric. Clearly Europe has the memo. Even the US and Ukraine have. But the British, well we still think we rule the waves and really haven't a clue.

T00ts

The trouble is that each Government builds on what went before, either trying to repair any damage they envisage or accepting some of the past and absorbing it into the system. I suppose it is inevitable since politics yoyos between opposites all the time but no-one actually takes a clean sweep. I would love someone really radical to go in with a really clear idea of how this country could improve. We have become such a medley of weaknesses. 

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on February 11, 2022, 07:12:53 PM
Nah he just ruined the lives of millions and put us all at risk from terrorism whatever your circumstances.
I have been at risk of terrorism for all of my 73 years.

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on February 11, 2022, 07:12:53 PM
Nah he just ruined the lives of millions and put us all at risk from terrorism whatever your circumstances.

What's more, see if he gives a flying one. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on February 11, 2022, 05:19:28 PM
Much as I despise that smarmy git Blair, he did not cause the problems that those less fortunate in the country are suffering on Bojo's watch.
Nah he just ruined the lives of millions and put us all at risk from terrorism whatever your circumstances.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on February 11, 2022, 02:42:38 PM
Oh I can think of some.....Bliar for starters,how many deaths is Boris responsible for?....a few births granted.
Much as I despise that smarmy git Blair, he did not cause the problems that those less fortunate in the country are suffering on Bojo's watch.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on February 11, 2022, 10:38:19 AM
I can't think of any PM that even comes close to as being as bad as Boris Johnson.
Oh I can think of some.....Bliar for starters,how many deaths is Boris responsible for?....a few births granted.

papasmurf

Quote from: HallowedBrexit on February 11, 2022, 11:16:08 AM
Boris gave us Brexit and for that we need to be eternally graceful. What we cannot allow to happen is that Labour gets in.
Boris has not given us Brexit at all, given the increasing chaos it is causing.