To chit or not to chit.

Started by Borchester, February 15, 2022, 06:03:10 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on February 15, 2022, 06:21:18 PM
Given the shortage of seed potatoes due to Brexit you will need all the chits you can get. Now is not too soon.

Oddly enough that isn't really a problem. I can never be arsed to earth up the spuds which means a lot of them turn green. I can't cook them because Madam has a bad tum and also they go throw so fast that they provided a loyal salute for the Queen's birthday in June. So I put them aside and use them for next years seed.

But as you say, the best idea might be to shove them in the ground and let them take their chances.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Given the shortage of seed potatoes due to Brexit you will need all the chits you can get. Now is not too soon.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Chitting gets the spuds off to an early start, but there is always a late frost which pushes their growth back. On the other hand, everyone I know chits their potatoes and that is clearly the way God meant things to be. And I want the first earlies out of the way so that I can put in some leeks for the autumn and winter and to cheer the ground up a bit. That said, I have already gotten some potatoes growing through in the compost heap so maybe chitting is a load of eyewash anyway.

Some folk think that I spend all my time at the allotment drinking coffee and feeding  the foxes and rats and birds, but I think a lot as well
Algerie Francais !