Universal Credit explained

Started by srb7677, February 16, 2022, 07:43:36 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on February 17, 2022, 11:45:06 AM
The gas is just a bottle gas supply to the gas hob from a yacht fitted in our kitchen. The change over valve needs to be moved 2 metres away from its current location and all the pipe work to the hob replacing. I have already done the blockwork to put the gas bottles behind, and with great difficult put the legally required copper earthing rod in place. (The latter was very difficult to do and involved my wife and I lifting rocks from the earth to get the required depth.)

What sort of spelling autocorrecter gives you a yacht in your kitchen. I'm impressed ..
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on February 17, 2022, 10:57:57 AM
I haven't got a gas boiler, so every cloud. Once you fit in a shower you can basically get away with it if you don't mind electric heating. I say ditch the boiler and ditch the gas hike. And ditch the certificate whilst you're at it.
The gas is just a bottle gas supply to the gas hob from a yacht fitted in our kitchen. The change over valve needs to be moved 2 metres away from its current location and all the pipe work to the hob replacing. I have already done the blockwork to put the gas bottles behind, and with great difficult put the legally required copper earthing rod in place. (The latter was very difficult to do and involved my wife and I lifting rocks from the earth to get the required depth.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

B0ycey

Quote from: papasmurf on February 17, 2022, 10:45:18 AM
Due to regulations I am limited to what Destroy-It-Yourself I can do with electrickery, and all I can do for the work I need a certificated gas fitter for, it the preparation.
I haven't got a gas boiler, so every cloud. Once you fit in a shower you can basically get away with it if you don't mind electric heating. I say ditch the boiler and ditch the gas hike. And ditch the certificate whilst you're at it.

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on February 17, 2022, 10:34:05 AM
Whatever the reason, you're onto a winner here pappy. Doing your own work saves you an absolute fortune. I don't hire anyone if I can do it myself regardless whether there are people around me who can do the work. And perhaps not where I live which is in the middle of no where.

True.

I need to refit the bathroom sink, which is no job at all except that I have to get on the floor and I am not sure that I can get up again. So I rang my mate the plumber and asked for a price. And when he gave it I said lad, you ain't that good a mate.

So I am now about to creak into action and save telephone numbers

:)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey on February 17, 2022, 10:34:05 AM
Whatever the reason, you're onto a winner here pappy. Doing your own work saves you an absolute fortune. I don't hire anyone if I can do it myself regardless whether there are people around me who can do the work. And perhaps not where I live which is in the middle of no where.
Due to regulations I am limited to what Destroy-It-Yourself I can do with electrickery, and all I can do for the work I need a certificated gas fitter for, it the preparation.

B0ycey

Quote from: papasmurf on February 17, 2022, 10:27:42 AM
That is why I do so much Destroy-It-Yourself.  

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on February 17, 2022, 09:08:17 AM
So there's no work for locals you keep saying but those that do don't know what they're doing.
The problem is, with so many AirBand Bs, holiday lets, and 2nd homes, there is nowhere for workers to live.
(We did have tradesmen living in the village but they have either carked it or retired.)
That is why I do so much Destroy-It-Yourself.  I do need some non urgent work done by a certificated gas fitter but I have been waiting six months. It really is a serious issue and even the useless local Tory MPs have at long last started to worry about it.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on February 17, 2022, 09:08:17 AM
So there's no work for locals you keep saying but those that do don't know what they're doing.

:)
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on February 17, 2022, 08:32:23 AM
Where I live finding a plumber, electrician, gas fitter, who does not wear a cowboy hat and cowboy boots is like trying to find rocking horse poo and unicorns.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 16, 2022, 08:21:50 PM
What , like plumbing ?
Where I live finding a plumber, electrician, gas fitter, who does not wear a cowboy hat and cowboy boots is like trying to find rocking horse poo and unicorns.

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 17, 2022, 12:26:01 AM
What worries me is I think I I actually understand that equation. But it is twenty past midnight and I have a glass of the scotch my son in law to be bought me for for Christmas in front of me so ignorance is only a few glugs away

Cheers.

PS it works for computer visus removing too.

I am with you John.

It isn't hard so much as a long slog. In fact, it is just a matter of ....

wait for it...

wait for it.....

minding your Ps and Qs..

Falls off chair laughing at his own half arsed joke :):):)
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on February 16, 2022, 08:07:49 PM
That is show business Steve.

In my experience it is no use relying on governments. The best thing to do is provide a service folk want and ask to be paid in cash.

For example, if sinx = p/q, then solve for 0<x< π

2cot^2 (2x) + 3cosec (2x)=0

You may say what is the point of this ? Dunno, but if you can teach the kids how to crack it, then you will earn a bloody sight more than £10 an hour. And no nonsense about paying tax either.
What worries me is I think I I actually understand that equation. But it is twenty past midnight and I have a glass of the scotch my son in law to be bought me for for Christmas in front of me so ignorance is only a few glugs away 

Cheers.

PS it works for computer visus removing too.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on February 16, 2022, 08:21:50 PM
What , like plumbing ?

That is cruel. As Pappy has said so many times before, only dirty people wash :)
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on February 16, 2022, 08:09:12 PM
Not where I live unless you are doing something very illegal.
What , like plumbing ?

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on February 16, 2022, 08:07:49 PM

You may say what is the point of this ? Dunno, but if you can teach the kids how to crack it, then you will earn a bloody sight more than £10 an hour. And no nonsense about paying tax either.
Not where I live unless you are doing something very illegal.