So much for Brexit

Started by Borchester, January 02, 2020, 01:08:28 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=12506 time=1578497197 user_id=83
Again, another irrelevant post.  OK, you think that this "freedom" will be of a net benefit to the UK, right? Or to make it easier for you, you think it will be beneficial to society for the UK to be "free", yes?

If so, then I'm failing to see where you're taking issue with my post. Perhaps I am a numbnuts, who knows, but I do always read your posts with a sentiment of pity for your consistent inability to ever actually refute my points rather than just hurling insults at them.

Any thoughts on Boris' plans / intentions / strategy for a deal with the EU then?

Most people would stop banging their head against a wall when it starts to hurt. It really doesn't matter any longer what you might or might not judge to be the issue with Brexit. It really doesn't matter what we might guess BJ's plan/strategy or intentions are. The point is that with such an elected majority that he currently enjoys in Parliament he has a massive mandate and ability to finally do what the majority in this country asked for. How he achieves it is yet to be seen but already the EU are throwing their weight about with a lecture by that awful EU woman Ursula von de Leven to the LSE almost encouraging anarchy.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-ursula-von-der-leyen-young-people-isolation-boris-johnson-a9275021.html">//https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-ursula-von-der-leyen-young-people-isolation-boris-johnson-a9275021.html

You and others will never understand and really don't want to. I understand along with the majority in this country who have had the guts to look across the water to Brussels and say enough is enough. It is no longer worth talking about. We will move on with or without the EU. BJ is making it very clear that it will their choice. My hope regardless of immediate outcomes is that it will be without.

Borchester

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=12506 time=1578497197 user_id=83

Any thoughts on Boris' plans / intentions / strategy for a deal with the EU then?

Nope.

Like most Brexiters I could not give a crap. The main thing is that we are going to leave the EU at the end of January.

Taking a bow at a venture I imagine that not a lot will happen. We want to trade with Johnny Foreigner and he wants to trade with us. So I imagine that the EU will do what it usually does, which is to make a lot of fuss and sod all. By the same token Boris will jump up and down, do not much of anything and carry on enjoying life as PM. And the rest of us, being big boys and girls will just get on with our lives.
Algerie Francais !

Conchúr

Quote from: Borchester post_id=12505 time=1578496431 user_id=62
Nope.

The whole point of Brexit is that the UK will be out of the EU. British laws made in Britain etc. If we lose a few shillings that will be tough and if we make a few that will be great, but the issue is freedom, not that the price of Kennomeat changes by a few pence.

But we have said all this before and you have ignored us. The problem is, as Tommy and Ollie have been too polite to post, you are a numbnuts. You don't stop to think that there might be something wrong with your product, you just think that the way to get folk to buy is to shout louder. Please continue. I want Brexit and maybe even Boris as PM for a bit and with you droning on about Christ knows what then I reckon both are guaranteed.

Again, another irrelevant post.  OK, you think that this "freedom" will be of a net benefit to the UK, right? Or to make it easier for you, you think it will be beneficial to society for the UK to be "free", yes?

If so, then I'm failing to see where you're taking issue with my post. Perhaps I am a numbnuts, who knows, but I do always read your posts with a sentiment of pity for your consistent inability to ever actually refute my points rather than just hurling insults at them.

Borchester

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=12492 time=1578480485 user_id=83
Unless I have missed something, the whole point of Brexit is that it will apparently provide a net benefit to the UK as an economy and society, yes?

Nope.

The whole point of Brexit is that the UK will be out of the EU. British laws made in Britain etc. If we lose a few shillings that will be tough and if we make a few that will be great, but the issue is freedom, not that the price of Kennomeat changes by a few pence.

But we have said all this before and you have ignored us. The problem is, as Tommy and Ollie have been too polite to post, you are a numbnuts. You don't stop to think that there might be something wrong with your product, you just think that the way to get folk to buy is to shout louder. Please continue. I want Brexit and maybe even Boris as PM for a bit and with you droning on about Christ knows what then I reckon both are guaranteed.
Algerie Francais !

Conchúr

One thing I notice about your posts above, Cromwell and Thomas, is that both make points which aren't relevant to what I said and — more interestingly — neither attempt to refute the substantive point being made.  

Unless I have missed something, the whole point of Brexit is that it will apparently provide a net benefit to the UK as an economy and society, yes? That by freeing itself from the EU legal and regulatory sphere, the UK would be able to renegotiate new trading relationships which would be more beneficial than those it enjoyed beforehand right?  So with that in mind, do we not think that it's of somewhat significant importance that the quality of the deals that the government plans to forge are debated and criticised reasonably?  Don't you think that it's important for people to think critically about what the government does, regardless of the majority power it enjoys in Parliament?

Criticising the motives, intentions or strategies of Boris and his government doesn't suddenly make one any less of a Brexiteer.  If the government is expressing an ambition about a deal that seems to correspond generally to the quality of the deal offered under the EU's Everything But Arms scheme to Least Developed Nations, then there is an argument to be made about whether that really achieves the economic purpose of Brexit — I.e. that "independence" will provide the UK ability to forge better trading alliances than it had previously.  

So do either of you have any specific relevant observation to make regarding my point, or should we all just be cultists now who accept the flowery language of the government as divine Gospel because might is right and they have a sound majority ?

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell post_id=12390 time=1578399168 user_id=48

Well for all of the above the election showed we want out and the more they point and laugh or tell us we are making a massive error I reckon the leave vote climbs.

So do i cromwell. Doggy obviously still hasnt worked that one out , the louder he screams , the harder the brexit. :roll:

4 years on and the argument against englands brexit is still being reduced down to arrogant patronising insults.

Im convinced doggy is a labour supporter , most of his posts sound remarkably like the patronising arrogant drivel someone like emily thornberry would come out with.

Every time the electorate give them a kicking , labour insult their intelligence  , and slag them off while at the same time talk about learning lessons. :roll:  :lol:
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell post_id=12390 time=1578399168 user_id=48
Well Conor,we were told it was a massive mistake,the question asked was binary,people didn't know what they were voting for,the voters are thick (but only if they voted leave) we were all going back to live in the Stone Age,we were racist,right wing,populists,dancing to a Russian tune,we had politicians past and present trying to overturn the vote,some like Bliar advising the eu behind our backs on how to thwart it and apparently applying for funding from the eu for his foundation.

The Labour Party lost spectacularly and one of their prospective leaders stands accused of calling another labour members voters thick for voting leave which is going legal and let's see how that goes.

Yesterday I read some eu apparatchik was laughing saying we were swapping a Rolls Royce for a second hand saloon and now you tell us we are on par with the Sudan.

Well for all of the above the election showed we want out and the more they point and laugh or tell us we are making a massive error I reckon the leave vote climbs.

:thup:  :thup:
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=12383 time=1578394702 user_id=83
It's one of the interesting facets of the Brexit negotiations that they find themselves between the rock of BRINO and the hard place of Hard Brexit for the sake of a Hard Brexit. The result is the kind of weird distorted logic that has been the hallmark of Brexit since 2016. The deal that Johnson appears to be going for involves the removal of tariffs and quotas but still leaving in place other customs paperwork (like rules of origin) and a regulatory barrier — such a barrier being necessary to fulfill the promise of regulatory divergence. In addition, the deal wouldn't cover services.

Now, in this post-referendum world we live in where truth about Brexit is secondary to who sells the best lie, we will be sold the story about how great a deal this is.  In truth, it's pretty much the same deal which the EU offers unilaterally under the 'Everything But Arms' scheme to Least Developed Countries.

So, in the story, this deal will be dressed up as a revolutionary achievement, in substance, it's not far off what the EU offers to Sudan.

Well Conor,we were told it was a massive mistake,the question asked was binary,people didn't know what they were voting for,the voters are thick (but only if they voted leave) we were all going back to live in the Stone Age,we were racist,right wing,populists,dancing to a Russian tune,we had politicians past and present trying to overturn the vote,some like Bliar advising the eu behind our backs on how to thwart it and apparently applying for funding from the eu for his foundation.

The Labour Party lost spectacularly and one of their prospective leaders stands accused of calling another labour members voters thick for voting leave which is going legal and let's see how that goes.

Yesterday I read some eu apparatchik was laughing saying we were swapping a Rolls Royce for a second hand saloon and now you tell us we are on par with the Sudan.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Conchúr

It's one of the interesting facets of the Brexit negotiations that they find themselves between the rock of BRINO and the hard place of Hard Brexit for the sake of a Hard Brexit. The result is the kind of weird distorted logic that has been the hallmark of Brexit since 2016. The deal that Johnson appears to be going for involves the removal of tariffs and quotas but still leaving in place other customs paperwork (like rules of origin) and a regulatory barrier — such a barrier being necessary to fulfill the promise of regulatory divergence. In addition, the deal wouldn't cover services.

Now, in this post-referendum world we live in where truth about Brexit is secondary to who sells the best lie, we will be sold the story about how great a deal this is.  In truth, it's pretty much the same deal which the EU offers unilaterally under the 'Everything But Arms' scheme to Least Developed Countries.

So, in the story, this deal will be dressed up as a revolutionary achievement, in substance, it's not far off what the EU offers to Sudan.

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=12363 time=1578379586 user_id=63
Ah, so they have quoted the bill in Euros. Excellent. That currency will be on a par with the Zloty, Rouble, Baht and 1920's GermanMark before September, so, the bill to leave when paid in Sterling will be about that currently handed over by the average shopper in Lidl for an average trolleyfull.

pounds euroes or monopoly money john , its the fact that it is being paid at all despite the debate that has raged for four years which is telling.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Thomas post_id=11833 time=1577972960 user_id=58
here you go toots...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50838994">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50838994

In this link it also tells you what the uk will be paying during the transition period and that it may keep contributing to certain eu programmes after the transition period has finished.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7886">https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk ... y/CBP-7886">https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7886  

and of course the much maligned exit bill , reputed to be around £33 to £ 39 billion from reports

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8039">https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk ... y/CBP-8039">https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-8039  

obr estimate of uk finanacial liabilities to the eu over the next twelve months

http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8039/assets/2d7c1502-a58b-406b-936c-7a71b5476337.png">

Ah, so they have quoted the bill in Euros. Excellent. That currency will be on a par with the Zloty, Rouble, Baht and 1920's GermanMark before September, so, the bill to leave when paid in Sterling will be about that currently handed over by the average shopper in Lidl for an average trolleyfull.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas post_id=12273 time=1578299182 user_id=58:lol:

Referendums  must be adhered too,in a democracy,ain't that so thomas,anyway my unique set of skills are needed elsewhere so I am informed.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: Barry post_id=12258 time=1578258448 user_id=51
This is what I'm on at the moment, Thomas, just mellow and won't be wound up.  :lol:

https://products0.imgix.drizly.com/ci-the-famous-grouse-8da895930f5c850d.png?auto=format%2Ccompress&fm=jpeg&q=20">

Yep, remainers were well and truly stuffed. Looks like we are leaving Tommy!

:lol:

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=12251 time=1578256837 user_id=51
No one is biting,Thomas. You can't wind us up, you remainers have been stuffed, well and truly, at the last election. We've waited this long, we'll wait a bit longer.

:hattip  :hattip  :hattip
Algerie Francais !