EU report claims Brits 'didn't know what they were doing' when voting for Brexit

Started by Thomas, February 18, 2022, 11:25:59 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on May 05, 2022, 03:37:42 AM

When remainer's pointed out that there were downsides to leaving, they were remoaner's.
In polite company yes , everywhere else they were called something else ;)

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on May 04, 2022, 11:48:17 PM
I don't like to repeat this Gerry, but you were the one that said you were hard of thinking.

The referendum asked if we wanted to leave the EU. Nothing was said about the UK becoming richer or poorer.
You would want to tell the leave side that. It started with £350m a week extra for the NHS, that sucker punch got a lot of people. The sunlit uplands, remember that, queues of countries looking to give better trade deals, better and cheaper.
When remainer's pointed out that there were downsides to leaving, they were remoaner's. 

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on May 04, 2022, 11:14:21 PM
Well for the time being that's the way we seem to want it. There are enough problems getting foods throughout Europe with the Ukraine war going on and enough disruption. I just wonder how your country would fare if it also had a little channel only 21 miles from France or anywhere else for that matter. Perhaps you would suddenly find little rubber boats filled with migrants landing - although there probably isn't enough to attract them to those shores. Surprisingly the fact that Brexit is a disaster by your estimation doesn't seem to deter hundreds boarding those little boats to get here. They certainly don't seem to want any part of the EU apart from passing through. Strange that don't you think?
The UK on average gets about half the number of assylum seekers than the EU, from this site  https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn01403/ 

• In 2020, there were around 6 asylum applications for every 10,000 people living in the UK. Across the EU27 there were 11 asylum applications for every 10,000 people. When compared with EU countries, the UK ranked 14th out of the individual countries in terms of the number of asylum applications per capita.

It's just that we get on with it and take these unfortunate people in.

Take Ukraine for example, the UK has taken in about 27,000 refugees and Ireland about 25,000. Our country has a population about 13 times smaller than the UK. Ireland plans to take more while the UK plans to introduce a new system to give these people a one way ticket to Rwanda.

Just because the UK bitches a lot about asylum seekers/refugees doesn't mean you have more coming than your neighbouring countries. You don't.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 10:46:49 PM
It's a simple question, the current govt said before the election that the UK would leave the EU and sign more and better trade deals around the world. I'm just curious if you were in favour of that or not. As I'm slow a yes/no answer is probably best.
I don't like to repeat this Gerry, but you were the one that said you were hard of thinking.

The referendum asked if we wanted to leave the EU. Nothing was said about the UK becoming richer or poorer.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 10:38:41 PM
There is no border between NI and IRL, that's thanks to Johnson signing all those deals. Thats the way we want it, free trade and movement on the island. The border is between NI and GB.

On this site Brexit is pretty much my interest, but I don't spend all my days discussing it here. You were right saying Covid and then Ukraine has caused many a problem, which could last yrs, that's prob a good thing as it offers Johnson an excuse to blame everything on that.

But it doesn't explain why the border is wide open, this was a big ticket item, border control. It's not like it was a surprise, the requirements at the border have been known for yrs, plenty of time to get organised.
Well for the time being that's the way we seem to want it. There are enough problems getting foods throughout Europe with the Ukraine war going on and enough disruption. I just wonder how your country would fare if it also had a little channel only 21 miles from France or anywhere else for that matter. Perhaps you would suddenly find little rubber boats filled with migrants landing - although there probably isn't enough to attract them to those shores. Surprisingly the fact that Brexit is a disaster by your estimation doesn't seem to deter hundreds boarding those little boats to get here. They certainly don't seem to want any part of the EU apart from passing through. Strange that don't you think?

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on May 04, 2022, 10:19:09 PM
Are you intentionally acting dumb or is it natural?
It's a simple question, the current govt said before the election that the UK would leave the EU and sign more and better trade deals around the world. I'm just curious if you were in favour of that or not. As I'm slow a yes/no answer is probably best. 

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on May 04, 2022, 10:22:56 PM
You certainly seem to be upset since Brexit is your only apparent concern. I did think that the 'border' between Ireland and Northern Ireland was also open - don't you have similar concerns?
There is no border between NI and IRL, that's thanks to Johnson signing all those deals. Thats the way we want it, free trade and movement on the island. The border is between NI and GB.

On this site Brexit is pretty much my interest, but I don't spend all my days discussing it here. You were right saying Covid and then Ukraine has caused many a problem, which could last yrs, that's prob a good thing as it offers Johnson an excuse to blame everything on that.

But it doesn't explain why the border is wide open, this was a big ticket item, border control. It's not like it was a surprise, the requirements at the border have been known for yrs, plenty of time to get organised.

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 10:12:09 PM
Who said I was upset, people everywhere are suffering, I'm one of the lucky one's, but that could change tomorrow. Maybe you know why the UK is leaving it's borders open so anyone can ship anything into the country, maybe it's a cunning plan.
You certainly seem to be upset since Brexit is your only apparent concern. I did think that the 'border' between Ireland and Northern Ireland was also open - don't you have similar concerns?

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 10:13:20 PM
Any your vote was counted and you got the Govt you deserved.
Do you have an issue with your Govt signing trade agreements with countries around the world ?
Are you intentionally acting dumb or is it natural?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on May 04, 2022, 05:48:46 PM
I gave my vote to allow the government to govern the U.K., ceding powers to a foreign state requires ratification by the people, something we never got. If you don't see that it's pointless conversing with you.
Any your vote was counted and you got the Govt you deserved.
Do you have an issue with your Govt signing trade agreements with countries around the world ?

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on May 04, 2022, 04:58:07 PM
I don't understand why you are so upset about what we do. Aren't you still in the EU? Or is there a chance that Ireland is suffering?
Who said I was upset, people everywhere are suffering, I'm one of the lucky one's, but that could change tomorrow. Maybe you know why the UK is leaving it's borders open so anyone can ship anything into the country, maybe it's a cunning plan.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 04:08:31 PM
When you voted in your govt.
Or do you think you get a say in all big decisions, did you get a vote on going to war with Argentina or invading Iraq or (enter anything here the govt decides on without a referendum). Over the past 100 yrs how many times has the UK people being asked to vote on a decision your elected Govt made ?  very very very seldom. You elect your Govt, they do a job, the UK freely joined.
I gave my vote to allow the government to govern the U.K., ceding powers to a foreign state requires ratification by the people, something we never got. If you don't see that it's pointless conversing with you. 

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on May 04, 2022, 04:58:07 PM
I don't understand why you are so upset about what we do. Aren't you still in the EU? Or is there a chance that Ireland is suffering?
😂 

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on May 04, 2022, 04:12:45 PM
No, thats not what happened. May was dumped and Johnson came in promising (lying) lots and deliverying little. The deal signed is the Johnson, not May, deal.

It's very easy for the brexit party to say the UK will do a, b or c but if all options include unicorns and the sunny uplands, then the title of this topic ".. didn't know what they were doing" starts to look like reality.

GerryT

Quote from: Barry on May 04, 2022, 02:46:04 PM
You are quite right. In fact, our Brexit officer-in-charge, Sir Nigel Farage has said that we need a "BREXIT 2", because BREXIT 1 has not really done the job. This is because it was planned by Remainer Tories under Theresa May who cooked up the oven ready deal that was a pointless load of tripe. Boris the idiot, implemented it!

So, never trust a Tory, and roll on BREXIT 2. Vote Brexit party.

No, thats not what happened. May was dumped and Johnson came in promising (lying) lots and deliverying little. The deal signed is the Johnson, not May, deal.

It's very easy for the brexit party to say the UK will do a, b or c but if all options include unicorns and the sunny uplands, then the title of this topic ".. didn't know what they were doing" starts to look like reality.