Main Menu

World respect

Started by T00ts, February 22, 2022, 08:16:34 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

So what respect have they ever shown their own voters unless they parrot what they are told to think and say? that will be none, so they can feck right off. Between them they have created the latest drama because without another one they have nothing to control with. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 22, 2022, 09:12:51 PM

I just commented on the thread.

I don't know that we have anyone.

I've said a couple of times when I was 17 our MP made a point of inviting just about any about to be voter in his constituency to the house of commons in the summer recess, to see the place, to understand what it did and why, and how.

The members of parliament then had this concept that they wanted their constituents to be proud of what they did.  At least the ones who had not yet had a tax demand ....

That's utterly gone now.

And that's a big part of the problem
Reminds me of my visit to Westminster back in the day while at school and was instructed to write an essay on what we thought .  That I focused on the reasons for the hooks above the paintings of the battle of Waterloo and other military victories (so a curtain could be put up when the French visited ) didn't amuse as much as I intended . 
That I had managed 1000 words on how hooks could be fixed was completely missed by all that I would have much rather had been in a carpentry class  .

But yes ,boring people who have no connection to their constituents . No characters , not one with a true course to  hang your hat on .Its like waiting for the second coming .

Bright Young Thing

Quote from: T00ts on February 22, 2022, 08:16:34 PM
Boycey's comment 'We need a leader who is respected around the world.' got the response from me that no such thing exists. That set me thinking,

Is there such a leader? Who? Is it the fault of those in power or have we lost respect for everyone in any sort of position of power? Is the fault with us? Do we all consider ourselves a cut above with views that should be heard in high places or is it time to start accepting that we really don't know it all and that chances are that given their shoes we would possibly be worse and not find it all quite so easy?

I don't think there is Toots. And I think the reasons are two-fold.

Firstly, I think that as a society we have lost basic respect. I'm not talking about anyone, and neither am I talking about the younger generation  but I just think that too many have no respect for anything any more. From snowflakes to those who think they deserve the right to do as they please, too many don't see anyone else as deserving respect.

The other problem though is that we have been lied to too many times now. Covid has made it worse (with all the rule breaking) but it was happening long before that too. Politicians feathering their own nests, one rule for them and another for everyone else - I guess on some level that relates to my first point in that respect should be earned, and it's not been for a while now.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on February 22, 2022, 08:16:34 PM
BOycey's comment 'We need a leader who is respected around the world.' got the response from me that no such thing exists. That set me thinking,

Is there such a leader? Who? Is it the fault of those in power or have we lost respect for everyone in any sort of position of power? Is the fault with us? Do we all consider ourselves a cut above with views that should be heard in high places or is it time to start accepting that we really don't know it all and that chances are that given their shoes we would possibly be worse and not find it all quite so easy?

I just commented on the thread.

I don't know that we have anyone.

I've said a couple of times when I was 17 our MP made a point of inviting just about any about to be voter in his constituency to the house of commons in the summer recess, to see the place, to understand what it did and why, and how.

The members of parliament then had this concept that they wanted their constituents to be proud of what they did.  At least the ones who had not yet had a tax demand ....

That's utterly gone now.

And that's a big part of the problem 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

BOycey's comment 'We need a leader who is respected around the world.' got the response from me that no such thing exists. That set me thinking,