How many cars do we really need

Started by Barry, January 03, 2020, 10:02:36 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=12502 time=1578492408 user_id=53
Who built that wall Wiggles , Mr Magoo ?

It looks like those bricks are around 300 years old, which may mean Wiggles lives in a listed building.

(Lime mortar is like superglue, adjustments after laying are not possible.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

A few years ago when top gear was on the bbc, Chris 'gone in 60 sec', 'dr who' Ecclestone was the star in a cheap.car.

He had just passed his test.

He had no license when filming 'gone in 60'

He said he didnt need one. He lived, worked, and rarely went outside london.

He challenged Clarkson to a race on the london marathon course. He would run, Clarkson could drive whatever he liked. The race to start at 8:30 on a monday....

Fact is, non car ownership ONLY works in london
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=12500 time=1578489555 user_id=87
I think having space to keep them should be a condition. I don't believe single household should have more than one car unless they have space on their driveway or garage. My wife and I just have the three cars, but all kept on or in our property. A day to day car for shopping and golf etc, my wife's sports car, and my vintage Austin A30.

https://i.imgur.com/p548yb3.jpg">

Who built that wall Wiggles , Mr Magoo ?

Wiggles

I think having space to keep them should be a condition. I don't believe single household should have more than one car unless they have space on their driveway or garage. My wife and I just have the three cars, but all kept on or in our property. A day to day car for shopping and golf etc, my wife's sports car, and my vintage Austin A30.

https://i.imgur.com/p548yb3.jpg">
A hand up, not a hand out

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Borchester post_id=12008 time=1578093503 user_id=62
Interesting post Barry.

In my part of London public transport is frequent and reliable. I don't know that it is so cheap but most everyone uses it.

And everyone has a car. Which are taken out at the weekends. Sometimes.

I think that it is a status thing.

It's definitely a status thing.

Mind you, you'd think the girls would be more after the bloke without a car because he's going to have strong and lean legs and no flab.

Some Dutch artist once did piece of art which was caricature of all the different EU countries. For Germany the Krauts were represented by a Scalextric set. It was endlessly driving around and around a track forever and ever.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Thomas

QuoteLondon one of worst capitals in Europe for clean, safe transport, study shows

Exclusive: UK capital has the most expensive public transport, third-worst air quality and is one of most dangerous to walk and cycle, study of 13 cities reveals
[/b]

QuoteLondon is trailing behind other major European capitals in its effort to create a clean, affordable and safe transport system, according to a new report.

The study of 13 cities found London has the joint third worst air quality after Moscow and Paris, as well as the most expensive public transport and the highest number of cycling accidents
[/b]

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/22/london-one-of-worst-capital-cities-in-europe-for-clean-safe-transport-study-shows">https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... tudy-shows">https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/may/22/london-one-of-worst-capital-cities-in-europe-for-clean-safe-transport-study-shows
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Barry post_id=12065 time=1578149466 user_id=51

I can understand why people need cars, but in a family, couldn't they share more?

Wouldnt that depend on may factors barry?

If everyone is working in different directions , and more of us are travelling further and further to work than in the past , not sure sharing is necessarily an option.

The uk is well know for having one of the worst public transport networks in developed countries .Until they get that under control , in terms of cost , congestion  , and the general misery of commuting im not sure cars are going anywhere nor motoring habits.

QuoteTen Countries on the Expat's Moving List that do Public Transport better than Britain
[/b]

QuoteMoving abroad can be a fraught and testing experience. One thing the expat does not need is a repeat of the familiar misery of commuting, only made more complicated in the transfer to another country.

So it should come as a pleasant surprise that, compared with the UK's antiquated and often inadequate public transport, the provision in many, if not most cities in Europe, Scandinavia and North America is far superior.

In Europe, for example, convenient street level tram systems are common in many cities and large towns, and underground metro systems are widespread. (In the UK only London can complete, with its now creaking Underground – while in the provinces only a few places such as Manchester and Nottingham run trams.)

Good public transport means the expat worker may not need that second car, and in many cities there is a case for not even owning a first car.

And there's another big benefit. Good integrated transport means that children can travel easily – and safely – across town to schools and social events.
[/b]

https://www.movehub.com/blog/ten-countries-beat-britains-transport/">https://www.movehub.com/blog/ten-countr ... transport/">https://www.movehub.com/blog/ten-countries-beat-britains-transport/

Anyone who has lived or travelled abroad can relate to this article and agree with it.

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=12061 time=1578147662 user_id=53
Same here ,I use it  ,its cheap ,very cheap , in fact its free for us over 60,s ,you must qualify Borkie ?

But yes too many cars now cant really see any point of having one in London so don't .

Here in the West Mids the public transport is OK but once you get into the stix it's not so good. Having said that, I often wait 20 minutes for a bus which is supposed to go every 8 minutes. I can't have a bus pass. If I lived in Wales or Scotland, yes, but here I have to wait until I am 66.

But, unlike Wales, we have a decent health service, instead.

I can understand why people need cars, but in a family, couldn't they share more?

Some years back I admit I had a "spare" cheap car just in case the main one broke down. Then I lived a half hour walk from civilisation or provision.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

No sure about that borkie  ,as i said i think it depends on where you live and what you use it for.

We have just changed our car , but then i need/use it as we have a large touring caravan to tow. When its not being used for caravaning , lucky if my wife will do 100 miles in it over the week.

To be honest i hate the feckin things , a never ending bottomless pit of money for running costs and servicing etc.You open the fuel flap on this new one and there are two caps inside , the second one is whats called "ad blue".

Apparently its a modern technique designed for combating diesel emmissions , its sprays this chemical in the exhaust  , there is a chemical reaction and it neutralizes the diesel emmissions to meet eu regs.

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=12061 time=1578147662 user_id=53
Same here ,I use it  ,its cheap ,very cheap , in fact its free for us over 60,s ,you must qualify Borkie ?

But yes too many cars now cant really see any point of having one in London so don't .

Same as glasgow streetwalker , or most big cities. Trains , underground and buses that run everywhere practically 24/7.

Living out in the sticks or for work really is the only reason to need a vehicle these days in my opinion.

Streetwalker

Interesting post Barry.

In my part of London public transport is frequent and reliable. I don't know that it is so cheap but most everyone uses it.

papasmurf

My wife and I have one car, one solo motorcycles and two sidecar outfits. (I may be getting another solo motorcycle later in the year.)

The car is used for shopping, going on holiday, and getting to various medical appointments.

One sidecar outfit which is now so old it's value is going up is used as a truck to get materials for Destroy-It-Your self project and taking things to the local reclamation depot.

The solo motorcycle and the other sidecar outfit are used to go to motorcycle rallies. The sidecar being used to carry all the camping kit and other luggage.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=12004 time=1578088956 user_id=51
In my street:

Over the road live a man, wife and teenage son. They each have a car. They also have a sporty thing they get out at weekends to polish and love it up.

Chap lives with his young daughter up from them a bit. He's got two cars in his drive and one he works on in his garage. He's in a wheelchair and I admire his ability to get things done, but I wonder why he needs so many cars, a hobby perhaps.

The lady opposite has only one car. :tick:

Next door, a middle aged couple, she drives, he doesnt, they have a 3 cars in the drive.

Next door the other side has 2 cars, his and hers which I can understand because his is a company car and hers is for everything else.

My drive has the Ioniq sitting there (Cromwell  :thup: ) and we have space for 2 more cars since we had the front block paved.

So, why does everyone seem to have more than 1 car per driver and a lot of them end up parked half on the pavement?

:rant:

Apparently there are 32.5 million cars in the UK and 40.7 million full driving licence holders. If only public transport was easier and cheaper.

Interesting post Barry.

And everyone has a car. Which are taken out at the weekends. Sometimes.

Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=12004 time=1578088956 user_id=51
In my street:

Over the road live a man, wife and teenage son. They each have a car. They also have a sporty thing they get out at weekends to polish and love it up.

Chap lives with his young daughter up from them a bit. He's got two cars in his drive and one he works on in his garage. He's in a wheelchair and I admire his ability to get things done, but I wonder why he needs so many cars, a hobby perhaps.

Next door, a middle aged couple, she drives, he doesnt, they have a 3 cars in the drive.

Next door the other side has 2 cars, his and hers which I can understand because his is a company car and hers is for everything else.

My drive has the Ioniq sitting there (Cromwell  :thup: ) and we have space for 2 more cars since we had the front block paved.

So, why does everyone seem to have more than 1 car per driver and a lot of them end up parked half on the pavement?

Apparently there are 32.5 million cars in the UK and 40.7 million full driving licence holders. If only public transport was easier and cheaper.

I just had a think around my road and everyone seems to have the right number of cars that are used each day, until I get to someone who has obviously lost most of his formerly very clever marbles and he has a sports and a hatchback both of which have never been started since I arrived here - 6 years - and one has the window open. Both nice vehicles in the beginning but now I would imagine they are in a poor state.  Perhaps you live in an area of hotwheelers!  :D

Barry

In my street:

† The end is nigh †