Putin is proving to be the “Hitler of the 21st century" says Leo Varadkar

Started by Borchester, February 26, 2022, 01:47:13 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: Sampanviking on March 19, 2022, 09:03:31 PM
Sometimes something takes you by surprise and does so in a good way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2jX59BKHO0
Ooh we have been lied too? who knew?
The Clowns In America have struck again. Feckers love a bad acid trip.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on March 19, 2022, 09:40:57 PM
Didn't you see me call him a war criminal?
Well that's something Blair and Putin have in common, along with George W Bush
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: Scott777 on March 19, 2022, 09:15:05 PM
I've never heard you call Blair a Hitler.  The most you manage is a liar.  Not the same.
Didn't you see me call him a war criminal?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: DeppityDawg on March 19, 2022, 07:50:55 PMts easy to look back at what happened (or what you are told has happened) and be critical that it doesn't meet todays high moral standards
Burning people alive, castrating them, beating them to death, flogging them to death did not meat the moral standards of our people at trhe time they were happening which is why it wass hushed up. And this was occurring a decade after we tried Germans for similar barbarities.

This is not something that happened centuries ago but within living memory.

It is truly sickening how so many will justify just about anything. It is such attitudes that the Nazis took advantage of in Germany.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Scott777

Quote from: cromwell on March 19, 2022, 11:52:17 AM
Weren't you? I was.

I've never heard you call Blair a Hitler.  The most you manage is a liar.  Not the same.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on March 19, 2022, 01:09:29 PM
Yet he is justifying the torture murder and burning alive of prisoners.

Which speaks for itself.
No what it says is that unlike your good  self I can grasp the most fundemental ability when looking at History , that being able to see the historical context of events of the day .

Judging events of the past by todays standards is unfair in the least , some would say foolish .

edit , and what DD has just posted above .  

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Good old on March 19, 2022, 09:37:39 AM
That's an easy attitude to have if you want to accept that you go down accepting you held every ounce of the moral ground.  Hitler, and his exploited people , would only ever have not prevailed if we had not been prepared to be just as nasty as them. What extreme actions individuals take in times of conflict can only be judged in terms of the precise nature of that conflict personal to them. It is the dogs of war. No one should want to unleash them. But if only they can save you from death or subjugation then there can be no disgrace.

We live in an age now where several generations have not only not experienced conflict themselves, but also where most have not even been touched by it in other ways such as the loss, maiming or soul destruction of a family member or close friend. That is what really sets most people today apart from the generations that fought the global wars of the 20th century. Many people today have never even set foot in a British Legion. They have no idea what conflict actually means, no concept of what loss feels like. In this environment, its easy to look back at what happened (or what you are told has happened) and be critical that it doesn't meet todays high moral standards

On top of that, we live in an era where 24 hour news and media covers conflicts day and night, not always accurately and rarely for altruistic reasons. We've seen our own and our allies nations fight wars where we have all the advantages, air superiority, fire superiority, material and technological superiority, intelligence (not always) superiority, logistic superiority, and financial superiority. Under such circumstances, its also easy to have high expectations of our servicemen, to make high moral demands of them, and to bandy around comparisons from a "history" we never lived through and also don't really understand

Even when we have all these advantages, when they are diminished or stripped away, such as they were in savage insurgent fights like Afghanistan, when its man against man, reduced to a fight for survival and for the lives of our friends, we all become the same. When its become a down in the dirt fight in the corner of some field thousands of miles away, fighting someone elses moral crusades is the last thing on your mind. Sadly, thats the truth.

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on March 19, 2022, 01:22:50 PM
Sounds good.

Do you have a link to the burning alive of prisoners?

I very much doubt it, after the initial flurry of fake news and people are thinking more about it all, the Westminster party are looking less informed as usual and relying on pure propaganda to see them through.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: srb7677 on March 19, 2022, 01:09:29 PM

Which speaks for itself.

Sounds good.

Do you have a link to the burning alive of prisoners?
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on March 18, 2022, 09:36:54 PM
Steady on Steve SW may be a londoner but other than that he's not that bad really.

Which speaks for itself.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on March 18, 2022, 09:36:54 PM
Steady on Steve SW may be a londoner but other than that he's not that bad really.

Plus he is a brickie. Have you seen their prices or tried to get one to turn up?

That said, Streetwalker has made a good point. Anyone who says he is too proud to fight is either hiding behind someone else, or rather likes the idea of getting a good hiding.
Algerie Francais !

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on March 19, 2022, 11:52:17 AM
Weren't you? I was.

Not Hitler Cromwell. But I made my case the war was about control of oil and knew the dodgy dossier was a smoke screen. So I was calling them greedy perhaps.

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on March 19, 2022, 11:17:23 AM
Indeed. I don't see why questioning things should be the same as being anti West. Presenting the Russian side of things isn't even the same as agreeing with it. The truth is always found somewhere in the middle. We weren't even calling Bush and Blair Hilters for invading a sovereign state a few decades back and the only reason people think Ukraine is different to Iraq is because it is in Europe. Right or wrong, Putin is doing what he thinks is right for his nation. And to some extent at least his security concerns are being addressed right now when previously they were being brushed off. The war can only be solved by Ukraine and Russia talking. Nothing else will work. Sanctions aren't doing anything and anyone who thinks they are aren't really thinking long term. To be honest, the only people talking any sense right now are China. And even Turkey are being more useful than America in ending this. I read that China said to Biden yesterday that America need to start talking to Russia more to understand their side better. I think that is great advice. It won't matter so much for this conflict which I do think will sort itself out soon enough. But in the future, the same BS can easily happen again if we don't see Russia as an equal. It is time to treat them with respect. And that isn't saying we should emulate them or that thinking such a thing is anti patriotic. It is simply stating the way things are today. We in the West should make sure that we are the best that we can be to our values and we shouldn't be trying to promote our values into other nations through the back door. And what I definitely think we should not be doing is encroaching towards Russias sphere. Ukraine being neutral isn't just in Russias interest but ours as well. It maintains a barrier between the EU and Russia. And Ukraine can benefit from that by being a mediator for two markets. So why aren't we promoting that? And why is it only now that such an idea is being planned out? Your guess is as good as mine.
Weren't you? I was.

However nothing excuses Russias actions.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?