So we might yet still be EU citizens after all, but we don't know . . .

Started by HDQQ, February 26, 2022, 09:45:09 PM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on February 26, 2022, 10:08:25 PMAnd how much money did Russia give to the Brexiters?
That old canard. :D

How much money did the russians give to labour leader keir starmers right hand man and prominent europhile peter mandelson?

I wouldnt go down that route if i were you at the minute quackers with the stones that are currently being overturned  and things that are coming to light.  Europhile Carole cadwalladr has already publicly been humiliated by arron banks for making those self same unfounded allegations linking brexit with the russians.

Seems to be the buzz word at the minute , eithe calling people conspiracy theorists or blaming russian money when it comes to political disagreements.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on February 26, 2022, 09:45:09 PM
There is now a case before the European Court of Justice asking the for confirmation (or otherwise) that EU citizenship is a permanent status. This has been in the news in relation to UK citizens resident in EU countries but it appears to cover all UK citizens born before Brexit.

If the case is upheld and we do, after all, still have EU citizenship, then it's not in the power of our own government to deny it to us.

I would also maintain that stripping British people of EU citizenship was "indirect discrimination" under the terms of the 2010 Equality Act. This made it illegal to make a law that, while applying to everyone, discriminates against a group on the grounds of ethnicity, nationality or nation of origin. Because all people born in Northern Ireland are all entitled to claim Republic of Ireland citizenship, which also gives them EU citizenship, that's discriminating against everyone else in the UK on the grounds of nation of origin
Likewise anyone with an Irish grandparent can claim Irish (and EU) citizenship and that could also be indirect discrimination on the grounds of ethnicity.
This is specifically about British people being wrongfully deprived of their EU citizenship, it's not about reversing Brexit - although I would obviously like that to happen one day.
Interesting post for a change quack quack.

Is any citizenship a permanent status? I thought the shamina begum case showed countries can and do have the right to revoke citizenship.?

Of course the situation with eu citizenship is a wee bit more complicated , as the eu isnt a single nation. Im not sure you have a leg to stand on myself.

Gerry has been on here arguing on behalf of the GFA and the irish protocol that northern ireland has special status in the uk and eu thorugh the 1998 peace deal , and thus this enabled them to stay in the eu despite the uk as an entity voting leave.

You are now trying to use that peace deal , which only covered northern ireland , and allows citizens there to have the right to irish passports and by default eu citizenship , to apply to the rest of the uk in terms of eu citizenship , and im not sure that logic follows. I cant see how it discriminates.?

The uk as you know , already has differences between the constituent nations in terms of law , legal jurisdictions and things like birth certificates. Its like arguin there is discrimination over birth certificates because scottish people have a different certificate to english and welsh.
.Likewise anyone with an Irish grandparent can claim Irish (and EU) citizenship and that could also be indirect discrimination on the grounds of ethnicity.
Every country in the world discriminates in terms of ethnicity. Surely?

Personally i dont think you have a chance , but i could be competely wrong. Sounds like yet more sour grapes to me.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: HDQQ on February 26, 2022, 10:08:25 PM
Greenland, as part of Denmark, joined the EEC as it was then, but left in 1985 following a referendum. But Greenlanders have EU citizenship, even though that was invented after they left.

Splendid.

So by your logic then Ukrainians who were citizens of the CCCP until its demise through russian withdrawal of itself from that union are de facto Russian citizens whether they like it or not because their fathers once we're and Putin is only doing his current invasion to hand out new passports .....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HallowedBrexit

Quote from: johnofgwent on February 27, 2022, 03:41:25 AM
I think this is as good a place to state the bleeding obvious as any other.

Right now there is a TEN MILE LONG queue of people at the Ukrainian border with Poland.

NOT ONE is male. Why ? Because the Ukrainian army has forced every male to stay put, pick up an assault rifle and fight the Russian invaders.

Next time the BBC talks about a boatload of refugees rocking up at Dover, some of you ought to have a think about what I just posted.

Oh yeah one more thing.

Every one of those women is a legitimate target for the Russian army. Just like the ones in the tower block were.

Because if you think Putin us going to end up in The Hague for crimes against humanity you are a sicker idiot than even I took you for.

The shitbag has sent people to london to murder people he does not like with toxic radiochemicals and nothing was done about it.

Why would he not presume he can wage total war the way it used to be waged before lawyers succeeded in getting cases our army violated elfin safety into courtrooms. I'd like to see what happens to the first lawyer who brings a case in the Russian court that Putin violated elfin safety laws by making his army drive their tanks through Chernobyl, or exposed them to carcinogenic toxins by blowing up a fuel depot.

Because you can be sure the smarmy bastard I confess I actually helped get through his 11+ by explaining some of the maths to him and now du s us for breach of European human rights will be out there in New Nuremberg land akung a f**king mint out of suing our army if we end up getting involved there ...

Or in Poland where Putin will go after next once Ukraine is reintegrated into his USSR....

To me the real culprits for the war in Ukraine are the EU, Jeremy Corbyn, Keir Starmer, the Labour party and the metropolitan elites. Not wanting to be European "citizens" is one of the prime reasons we voted Leave. The barstewards who voted because they wanted to catch bigger fish on their own fishing vessels are fifth columnists.

johnofgwent

I think this is as good a place to state the bleeding obvious as any other.

Right now there is a TEN MILE LONG queue of people at the Ukrainian border with Poland.

NOT ONE is male. Why ? Because the Ukrainian army has forced every male to stay put, pick up an assault rifle and fight the Russian invaders.

Next time the BBC talks about a boatload of refugees rocking up at Dover, some of you ought to have a think about what I just posted.

Oh yeah one more thing.

Every one of those women is a legitimate target for the Russian army. Just like the ones in the tower block were. 

Because if you think Putin us going to end up in The Hague for crimes against humanity you are a sicker idiot than even I took you for. 

The shitbag has sent people to london to murder people he does not like with toxic radiochemicals and nothing was done about it. 

Why would he not presume he can wage total war the way it used to be waged before lawyers succeeded in getting cases our army violated elfin safety into courtrooms. I'd like to see what happens to the first lawyer who brings a case in the Russian court that Putin violated elfin safety laws by making his army drive their tanks through Chernobyl, or exposed them to carcinogenic toxins by blowing up a fuel depot.

Because you can be sure the smarmy bastard I confess I actually helped get through his 11+ by explaining some of the maths to him and now du s us for breach of European human rights will be out there in New Nuremberg land akung a fucking mint out of suing our army if we end up getting involved there ...

Or in Poland where Putin will go after next once Ukraine is reintegrated into his USSR....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on February 26, 2022, 10:08:25 PM
Yes, that's a very sad and new situation. The big irony is that back in 2016 the Brexiters used posters showing refugees streaming across the EU border into Hungary to fuel the fires of xenophoia.  And how much money did Russia give to the Brexiters?

We all have to revise our opinions from time to time.  Up until a few weeks ago I used to think Putin wasn't as bad as some people tried to make out.  Now I think he's a war criminal.

Greenland, as part of Denmark, joined the EEC as it was then, but left in 1985 following a referendum. But Greenlanders have EU citizenship, even though that was invented after they left.
There's a big difference between migrants and economic migrants. You'd do well to acknowledge that at some point. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

There is now a case before the European Court of Justice asking the for confirmation (or otherwise) that EU citizenship is a permanent status. This has been in the news in relation to UK citizens resident in EU countries but it appears to cover all UK citizens born before Brexit.

If the case is upheld and we do, after all, still have EU citizenship, then it's not in the power of our own government to deny it to us.

I would also maintain that stripping British people of EU citizenship was "indirect discrimination" under the terms of the 2010 Equality Act. This made it illegal to make a law that, while applying to everyone, discriminates against a group on the grounds of ethnicity, nationality or nation of origin. Because all people born in Northern Ireland are all entitled to claim Republic of Ireland citizenship, which also gives them EU citizenship, that's discriminating against everyone else in the UK on the grounds of nation of origin. Likewise anyone with an Irish grandparent can claim Irish (and EU) citizenship and that could also be indirect discrimination on the grounds of ethnicity.

This is specifically about British people being wrongfully deprived of their EU citizenship, it's not about reversing Brexit - although I would obviously like that to happen one day.
I do believe you are talking utter rubbish. The EU is not a nation, you can't be a citizen of something that doesn't exist. Let it go. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Quote from: cromwell on February 26, 2022, 09:59:30 PM
Well tbh there's a war going on and there are Ukrainians with family here who can't leave France to join their families now they don't need dinghies imo they should be waved through and in to the UK.
Yes, that's a very sad and new situation. The big irony is that back in 2016 the Brexiters used posters showing refugees streaming across the EU border into Hungary to fuel the fires of xenophoia.  And how much money did Russia give to the Brexiters?

We all have to revise our opinions from time to time.  Up until a few weeks ago I used to think Putin wasn't as bad as some people tried to make out.  Now I think he's a war criminal.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

There is now a case before the European Court of Justice asking the for confirmation (or otherwise) that EU citizenship is a permanent status. This has been in the news in relation to UK citizens resident in EU countries but the it appears to cover all UK citizens born before Brexit.

I would also maintain that stripping British people of EU citizenship was "indirect discrimination" under the terms of the 2010 Equality Act. This made it illegal to make a law that, while applying to everyone, discriminates against a group on the grounds of ethnicity, nationality or nation of origin. Because all people born in Northern Ireland are all entitled to claim Republic of Ireland citizenship, which also gives them EU citizenship, that's discriminating against everyone else in the UK on the grounds of nation of origin. Likewise anyone with an Irish grandparent can claim Irish (and EU) citizenship and that could also be indirect discrimination.
Well tbh there's a war going on and there are Ukrainians with family here who can't leave France to join their families now they don't need dinghies imo they should be waved through and in to the UK.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

HDQQ

I would also maintain that stripping British people of EU citizenship was "indirect discrimination" under the terms of the 2010 Equality Act. This made it illegal to make a law that, while applying to everyone, discriminates against a group on the grounds of ethnicity, nationality or nation of origin. Because all people born in Northern Ireland are all entitled to claim Republic of Ireland citizenship, which also gives them EU citizenship, that's discriminating against everyone else in the UK on the grounds of nation of origin. Likewise anyone with an Irish grandparent can claim Irish (and EU) citizenship and that could also be indirect discrimination on the grounds of ethnicity.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!