Can Russia be stopped?

Started by T00ts, March 01, 2022, 09:22:44 AM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on March 02, 2022, 10:30:00 AM
I don't know about that, but I do know the hyped up neo liberals are in full drama mode, meanwhile believe me when I say they don't have a fecking clue about international politics.
China opposes sanctions, will continue normal trade cooperation with Russia: Foreign Ministry - Global Times

Are you saying there is no drama.? Putin undertaking a massive armed invasion on his neighbour, is a drama, and so crude, it takes no complicated understanding for neo liberals or anyone else of international politics.
At the end of any day international politics asks of you , neo liberal or otherwise. To take a look at how you see your future, And while you are at it inspect your own common decency, while you look on .
And accept or reject.

Sheepy

Quote from: johnofgwent on March 02, 2022, 12:45:17 AM
If "all russian media channels have been banned", pray tell what was that shit on freesat this afternoon with big green RT logos broadcating bollox about how Putin is such a misunderstood kind of guy

What I really liked was the woman they had fronting the news desk on Al Jazeerah. Never one to adopt a BBC attitude whe wasn't taking any shit from either side. I might watch more of them
I don't know about that, but I do know the hyped up neo liberals are in full drama mode, meanwhile believe me when I say they don't have a fecking clue about international politics.
China opposes sanctions, will continue normal trade cooperation with Russia: Foreign Ministry - Global Times
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Sampanviking on March 01, 2022, 10:55:41 AM
I am sure there are anti war protests in Russia just as they occour in all countries. I remember a million people marched before the illegal invasion of Iraq, but that did not get anything the coverage they are giving to small groups in Russia, funny that eh!

We are in the middle of an Information War that is firing on all barrels. Are you not even slightly disturbed that all Russian media channels have so quickly been banned. Is the Western media narrative really so weak, that it could challenged by the "State Mouthpiece media" of Putin?
If "all russian media channels have been banned", pray tell what was that shit on freesat this afternoon with big green RT logos broadcating bollox about how Putin is such a misunderstood kind of guy

What I really liked was the woman they had fronting the news desk on Al Jazeerah. Never one to adopt a BBC attitude whe wasn't taking any shit from either side. I might watch more of them
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

HDQQ

Quote from: B0ycey on March 01, 2022, 01:35:47 PM
The difference is Taiwan is China HDQQ. Taiwan isn't a sovereign state but an island province of China that has its own government, no different to the IOM. In any case China seem patient to let time take it cause and let the Island move towards China naturally which as it happens seems to be what polls suggest. I don't see China invading Taiwan anytime soon given they have had the capacity to do so for years now. But one day they might lose patience and move in I guess. But China don't do miscalculation and seem happy to wait.
This depends entirely on how you look at things.

Taiwan was the part of China that was not conquered by the Communist revolution. It's now a sovereign state (in all but name) with its own government and military.

The Isle of Man has never been part of the UK although it's long been a British crown dependency.

The Republic of Ireland was part of the UK until about 100 years ago - does that mean we can legitimately re-conquer it now? 

Ukraine was part of pre-revolutionary Russia, then it became part of the USSR but Russia left the USSR under Boris Yeltsin, cutting its ties with its old empire.

Much of the USA was once a British possession but it fought a war of independence against us. Does that mean that the US can take over Britain?

The reason why it would be less surprising now if China were to invade Taiwan soon is precisely because Russia is invading Ukraine. Two invasions by superpowers at the same time would be more difficult for the Free World to oppose than a single invasion.  For all we know, Russia and China might have already agreed to carry out the invasions at around the same time.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

B0ycey

Quote from: HDQQ on March 01, 2022, 01:01:18 PM
. . . Unless they see it as an opportunity to invade Taiwan while the West has another big worry.
The difference is Taiwan is China HDQQ. Taiwan isn't a sovereign state but an island province of China that has its own government, no different to the IOM. In any case China seem patient to let time take it cause and let the Island move towards China naturally which as it happens seems to be what polls suggest. I don't see China invading Taiwan anytime soon given they have had the capacity to do so for years now. But one day they might lose patience and move in I guess. But China don't do miscalculation and seem happy to wait.

HDQQ

Quote from: B0ycey on March 01, 2022, 11:43:08 AM
I can't see China wanting this to war to go on much longer . . .
. . . Unless they see it as an opportunity to invade Taiwan while the West has another big worry.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on March 01, 2022, 11:30:28 AM
I should pop over and tell the Russians how they should think and see how that goes down. Which if you had bothered noticing Vlad never does the other way around, he might ask why we think something but never tells us how we should think which is mutual. So, if I ask why he has invaded Ukraine he tells me his reasons, I don't judge that as they are his and the Russians reasons. It's not my job to tell him how the Russian people think I guess he knows that already, whereas you think you have the right to tell Russians how they should think, it works both ways. I did tell him thinking that he could deal with the EU was a mistake but then that is something he learnt the hard way.

Well Russia say they evidence of genocide which I guess we will see soon enough. Perhaps once a treaty has been agreed with Ukraine to show the world why he did what he did as his troops come home. I can't see China wanting this to war to go on much longer and Russia will be looking at them to rebuild their economy which is why it is clear now that it is China not America who are now the leading hegemony. Plus China has the Paralympics next week so perhaps they want to showcase that with friendship and peace so what better way to show the world what China represents with Xi as the architect for peace. 

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on March 01, 2022, 11:36:07 AM
Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Really? Gosh how wrong can someone be?
Well, you and that magic cloak is amusing, I am sure. It amuses me for now. Anyway, when are you marching on Moscow? 

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on March 01, 2022, 10:37:49 AM
Maybe I just like to push you, as I can see you fancy yourself as a bit of a leader and a cross carrier of all things you see as black and white. A missionary for the heathens.
Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Really? Gosh how wrong can someone be? 

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on March 01, 2022, 11:15:51 AM
What do you mean I noticed it? The BBC have only reported on a fact which is Russians have protested against a war. But that isn't the same as saying they are unpatriotic. We had protests against the Iraq war remember because we are more like Russians than people would like to admit given we share heritage.

I should pop over and tell the Russians how they should think and see how that goes down. Which if you had bothered noticing Vlad never does the other way around, he might ask why we think something but never tells us how we should think which is mutual. So, if I ask why he has invaded Ukraine he tells me his reasons, I don't judge that as they are his and the Russians reasons. It's not my job to tell him how the Russian people think I guess he knows that already, whereas you think you have the right to tell Russians how they should think, it works both ways. I did tell him thinking that he could deal with the EU was a mistake but then that is something he learnt the hard way.

B0ycey

Quote from: Sheepy on March 01, 2022, 11:01:33 AM
So, you did notice then, now you have to make it into something else. Like we are all the same at heart, which is the usual pie in the sky.
What do you mean I noticed it? The BBC have only reported on a fact which is Russians have protested against a war. But that isn't the same as saying they are unpatriotic. We had protests against the Iraq war remember because we are more like Russians than people would like to admit given we share heritage.

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on March 01, 2022, 10:53:58 AM
So, you believe a few thousand protesters will make a difference when the vast majority back him totally, there were a lot more protesters here when you compare populations it still didn't stop your Mr Blair.
Well as you know Sheepy I detest Bliar and had to smile when some MP suggested Putin be arrested and brought before the ICC at The Hague,that'd be great but only if Bush and Tone joined him in the dock.

Obviously won't happen,I'd just like to see Vlad retired in to oblivion.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

B0ycey

Quote from: Sampanviking on March 01, 2022, 10:55:41 AM
I am sure there are anti war protests in Russia just as they occour in all countries. I remember a million people marched before the illegal invasion of Iraq, but that did not get anything the coverage they are giving to small groups in Russia, funny that eh!

We are in the middle of an Information War that is firing on all barrels. Are you not even slightly disturbed that all Russian media channels have so quickly been banned. Is the Western media narrative really so weak, that it could challenged by the "State Mouthpiece media" of Putin?
Actually I have been watching RT as well as the BBC because it is the only way you can understand both sides so it hasn't been banned. RT isn't as biased as you might hink actually (I guess so they dont get an OFCOM ban) but they do make it clear why Russians invaded which is genocide. But at the same time I will reflect with Western media for judgement because that is important too. 

As for protests, I totally agree, when we entered Iraq illegally, I remember the protests well. It shouldn't be a surprise there are protest in Russia as well. I think everyone wants tensions to ease right now so the rhetoric needs to cease. Thankfully Macron has been exceptional right now and has kept up dialogue with Putin with respect and decency like the great leader he is.

Sheepy

Quote from: B0ycey on March 01, 2022, 10:57:03 AMThe media might focus on protests against the war in Russia but that is because there isn't any difference between the Russians and the Europeans and Russians
So, you did notice then, now you have to make it into something else. Like we are all the same at heart, which is the usual pie in the sky. 

cromwell

Quote from: HDQQ on March 01, 2022, 10:52:21 AM
Leonid Brezhnev ordered the Russian army into Afghanistan to overthrow the Communist government there, with which the USSR had fallen out. They even executed its leader.
You should understand the euphemism invited,the Czechs and Dubcek were he still alive would testify and the Hungarians,others too.

Perhaps a Vlad thought he could do the same.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?