Can Russia be stopped?

Started by T00ts, March 01, 2022, 09:22:44 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

@elonmusk
has announced that he will not block Russian media sources on his Starlink network, despite being pressured by several countries' governments. He tweeted that he will not do so 'unless at gunpoint' and sarcastically apologized for being a 'free speech absolutionist.'

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Sampanviking on March 05, 2022, 02:46:58 PM
Now Thomas, never let inconvenient things like facts get in the way of a good hysterical wail...
I mean everything we hear has to be true, its come straight from the media.......::)
Aye sampan. :D The good old reliable uk media who never ever tell any fibs or exaggerate.

Wasnt this the same media who were insinuating prior to the russian world cup in 2018  about dilapidated clapped out communist cities with impoverished and oppressed communist citizens ? Imagine my suprise seeing cities like sochi and the great football stadiums where russia put on a formidable world cup spectacle for the world to see?

What happened as well regarding Russia today being banned from the airwaves in the so called free and fair west?

I remember a time when one of the things that underpinned western society was the principle of free speech , where i might detest what someone had to say , but i would defend thier right to say it.

I remember having to go to russia today to see events unfolding in my own country scotland during the indy ref in 2014 , while the holier than thou bbc conventiently blanked it out.

I once made the mistake of saying the power of the western media is waning.........on recent evidence , i think i have drastically underestimated it.

Sampanviking

Quote from: Thomas on March 05, 2022, 02:17:13 PM
Sorry im a bit lost on here having been off the forum for a week now toots , but where is the evidence for the above?

Further , going back to ukraine , didnt the pro russian former leader victor yanukovich win 49 % of the vote  , but because the yanks didint agree with this  , they helped encourage the ukrainians to topple him leading to 8 years of civil war of which we are obviously seeing things escalate?

The more im reading into this western media slant of a simple good guy bad guy story with the accompanying evil villain , the more murkier things are becoming.
Now Thomas, never let inconvenient things like facts get in the way of a good hysterical wail...
I mean everything we hear has to be true, its come straight from the media.......::)

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on March 05, 2022, 12:01:27 PM
But surely he rules by harsh repercussions for dissent. Weren't his elections rigged? Hasn't he organised things so that he is President for life? He is not a nice man.
Sorry im a bit lost on here having been off the forum for a week now toots , but where is the evidence for the above?

Further , going back to ukraine , didnt the pro russian former leader victor yanukovich win 49 % of the vote  , but because the yanks didint agree with this  , they helped encourage the ukrainians to topple him leading to 8 years of civil war of which we are obviously seeing things escalate?

The more im reading into this western media slant of a simple good guy bad guy story with the accompanying evil villain , the more murkier things are becoming.

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on March 05, 2022, 12:41:02 PM15 years in jail for uttering a truth.
No for telling lies, we would expect a referendum before you or any NeoLiberal goes to jail for the brainwashing you have wreaked on the UK public using psychology and downright lies, we will let the electorate decide, after all they are the ones on the end of it. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on March 05, 2022, 12:32:00 PM
Yes just by the odds involved he appears to be getting away with subjugating Ukraine to his wishes.
But what is it he is getting away with by doing that.?
Already he has subjected those brave Russians he leads, to becoming pariahs, shunned by the majority of the worlds nations.  He has alerted his perceived enemies .to the fact that he will attack any neighbour on the flimsiest of reasons . If that neighbour is not adequately defended. Only giving more reason to increase such protection of those within his imagined sphere of influence.  If he views NATO as an aggressive threat ,he hasn't changed anything for the better of his situation.  One things for sure the west has more to be certain about than they did regarding Putin. .

Good Old the voice of reason. Vlad is going to send them to the good Lord and he can sort out what's right from wrong. 

Good old

Quote from: Borchester on March 05, 2022, 11:55:06 AM
Fear of what.

Most Russians like Putin, which is why they elected him.

Vlad's main problem is not killing a few foreigners (about which the average Russian could not give a toss), but that he could get stuck in a long war of attribution. But so far the Ukrainians are getting beat (if they weren't they would have said so) and the tiny tosser appears to be getting away with it.

15 years in jail for uttering a truth. Disputing a lie. Or as he would have it disputing the truth. Exercising something we take for granted called free speech .  Can't you see  anyone being frightened given that sort of option?

Good old

Fear of what.

Vlad's main problem is not killing a few foreigners (about which the average Russian could not give a toss), but that he could get stuck in a long war of attribution. But so far the Ukrainians are getting beat (if they weren't they would have said so) and the tiny tosser appears to be getting away with it.

Yes just by the odds involved he appears to be getting away with subjugating Ukraine to his wishes.
But what is it he is getting away with by doing that.? 
Already he has subjected those brave Russians he leads, to becoming pariahs, shunned by the majority of the worlds nations.  He has alerted his perceived enemies .to the fact that he will attack any neighbour on the flimsiest of reasons . If that neighbour is not adequately defended. Only giving more reason to increase such protection of those within his imagined sphere of influence.  If he views NATO as an aggressive threat ,he hasn't changed anything for the better of his situation.  One things for sure the west has more to be certain about than they did regarding Putin. .

Sheepy

Fear of what.

Shouldn't you be planting more spuds to feed Ukrainians not waving your shovel at Vlad. 

T00ts

Fear of what.

But surely he rules by harsh repercussions for dissent. Weren't his elections rigged? Hasn't he organised things so that he is President for life? He is not a nice man.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on March 04, 2022, 04:40:37 PM
I guess it depends how long he can generate enough fear.

Fear of what.

Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on March 05, 2022, 10:50:48 AM
I think we can take that further , Toots, because we have watched him build this capability for aggressive action for years.  With us Europeans not responding overly , relying on the US as our fall back position.
The vast majority of Russians live in Europe, no really, they are Europeans as well, oh but wait I had already mentioned the EU is not Europe they just think they are. 

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on March 05, 2022, 09:40:36 AM
What I am finding so very hard is realising that we all watched as Putin amassed troops over weeks denying that he was going to invade, while believing in my heart of hearts that he was going to. Yet here we are with so little power to stop more bloodshed. The human cost is awful once again.

I think we can take that further , Toots, because we have watched him build this capability for aggressive action for years.  With us Europeans not responding overly , relying on the US as our fall back position.

Sheepy

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on March 05, 2022, 10:16:39 AM
Those who have turned Ukraine anti-Russian and even going as far as creating a coup to oust anyone seen as pro-Russian. While having a civil war against ethnic Russians. Go figure who might that be?
Is there evidence of that?