Wales - 2nd homes tax

Started by T00ts, March 08, 2022, 10:46:28 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 08, 2022, 01:53:58 PM
Hopefully all the UK will follow suit and include all second homes  . It has to run along side rent caps though or the extra tax will just be added to the rent .
Yes more tax and rent caps , should put more homes on the market and at least stall house prices .
Doesn't happen to often but I fully agree with you.

Sadly there is zero chance of either Labour or the Tories doing that. Many of their MPs are themselves landlords, as are many of their friends and relatives, and both party leaderships are in the pockets of the landlord interest.

There will be nothing radical on housing by either, just more ingenious ways to use the taxes of the plebs to help a small number of of people buy a rabbit hutch somewhere, and thereby contributing yet more to house price inflation in the process.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Hopefully all the UK will follow suit and include all second homes  . It has to run along side rent caps though or the extra tax will just be added to the rent .
Yes more tax and rent caps , should put more homes on the market and at least stall house prices . 

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on March 08, 2022, 11:29:48 AM
The areas targeted have nothing for locals to make money at except tourism.

There is, somewhere near Margate ? Or perhaps a little further north, a town of prefabs and bungalows and static caravans known as the least income earning town in England.

There is no work, no tourism, nothing except tumbleweed rolling down the road where once cars were driven by residents going to work.

All Herr Twatford and his Cottage Bombing Propper Uppers will achieve here is to create more towns and villages like that

Because there is NO WORK other than tourism for anyone in the area to do.

I tried living in the middle of one of these areas. The work I hoped to do locally dried up when Blair gave it to his Indian party donors. The ability to do other work, mainly authoring documents, dried up when faster ADSL internet in big cities meant that work was handed to people in those cities who could respond instantly instead of sending CDs by post
I think you have Jaywick in  mind?

They did a documentary on the place iirc.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on March 08, 2022, 11:29:48 AM

There is, somewhere near Margate ? Or perhaps a little further north, a town of prefabs and bungalows and static caravans known as the least income earning town in England.

There is no work, no tourism, nothing except tumbleweed rolling down the road where once cars were driven by residents going to work.

All Herr Twatford and his Cottage Bombing Propper Uppers will achieve here is to create more towns and villages like that

I tried living in the middle of one of these areas. The work I hoped to do locally dried up when Blair gave it to his Indian party donors. The ability to do other work, mainly authoring documents, dried up when faster ADSL internet in big cities meant that work was handed to people in those cities who could respond instantly instead of sending CDs by post

Bit like the Russians and Central London.

The Ivans come over and pay through the nose for housing in the fashionable part of the capital. Then they hire builders to tart the places up, dine out at over priced restaurants, pay telephone numbers to see plays at theatres of astonishing discomfort and one way and another, poor mega roubles into the local economy that would not exist were it not for them. Little do they know that there are plans afoot to seize all their assets, a move that will force Putin to turn his tanks around and head back to Russia.

O tempora, o mores! O globi!

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on March 08, 2022, 10:46:28 AM
In an effort at diversity in these time of single track minds it appears that Wales has decided that enough is enough on 2nd homes within their borders. 300% increase is threatened on homes standing empty and used only occasionally. I just wonder if this will provide a sudden influx of houses on the market at affordable prices for the locals.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-10586245/Wales-announces-council-tax-clampdown-second-homeowners.html

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

In an effort at diversity in these time of single track minds it appears that Wales has decided that enough is enough on 2nd homes within their borders. 300% increase is threatened on homes standing empty and used only occasionally. I just wonder if this will provide a sudden influx of houses on the market at affordable prices for the locals.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-10586245/Wales-announces-council-tax-clampdown-second-homeowners.html