Is it time to end the common travel area.??

Started by Thomas, March 13, 2022, 09:22:59 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on March 13, 2022, 01:27:23 PM
That said Tommy, what is the point of not having a Common Travel Area?

Forgive me here borkie , but recalling the arguments involved in the brexit referendum , wasnt a main bugbear of englands this freedom of movement lark with the eu 27?

so perhaps you could explain to me , a mere scotsman , the thinking behind keeping a common travel area with a country that also has freedom of movement with the eu nations?

I mean you are closer to France than ireland borkie , so why not have a common travel area with the french?

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on March 13, 2022, 11:14:52 AM
thats what im asking john , what is the purpose of the common travel area?

Im simply asking for input here , and peoples views.?

From what i gather , at first , the CTA seems to be some sort of in denial about irish independence . Then it was suspended during the second world war , re brought back afterwards with the agreement of a common immigration policy , further enhanced with both the uk and irieland joining the EEC/EU , then obviously for the first time since world war two , the brexit ref diverged the two states in terms of immiration policy.

Ireland remained part of the EU and FOM , while the uk left.

So im asking what relevant purposes does it serve maintaining the CTA in light of the above? The ukrainian refugee crises just further highlights the difference of opinion , and unworkability of two soveriegn states with seperate views and immigration policy maintaining a CTA?

Confused.

That said Tommy, what is the point of not having a Common Travel Area?

Maybe I am in an odd position, but this morning I went out and listened to an Irish friend complain about one of my Scottish friends habit of dodging his bills, a Croatian friend on building websites and hired a Somali girl to do a bit of gardening work for me. When I was a teenager I spent a lot of time in London's East End where the language of choice was Yiddish. Nowadays it is Bengali.

Went up to see the wife's family a while back. They live in a village in Yorkshire. Nice place and nice folk, but they still talk about the Chinese takeaway that opened up ten years ago and not only does everyone look the same, but I am pretty sure of what they are going to say before they open their mouths.

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Not arguing with JOG that it should have been ended years ago though would say it certainly should have been ended when we left the EU . 

Its purpose of freedom to work live and travel within the area is no longer valid now we are under different visa arangments and just complicates the internal Irish border . (as if it wasn't complicated enough already )

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent on March 13, 2022, 11:04:22 AM
We should have stopped it decades ago.

It needs to be ended now

Eire chose the EU over us

They are a foreign country.
thats what im asking john , what is the purpose of the common travel area?

Im simply asking for input here , and peoples views.?

From what i gather , at first , the CTA seems to be some sort of in denial about irish independence . Then it was suspended during the second world war , re brought back afterwards with the agreement of a common immigration policy , further enhanced with both the uk and irieland joining the EEC/EU , then obviously for the first time since world war two , the brexit ref diverged the two states in terms of immiration policy.

Ireland remained part of the EU and FOM , while the uk left.

So im asking what relevant purposes does it serve maintaining the CTA in light of the above? The ukrainian refugee crises just further highlights the difference of opinion , and unworkability of two soveriegn states with seperate views and immigration policy maintaining a CTA?

Confused.

johnofgwent

We should have stopped it decades ago.

It needs to be ended now 

Eire chose the EU over us

They are a foreign country.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

UK should not criticise Irish policy on Ukrainian refugees, says Tory MP
Simon Hoare responds to claims that open-door policy creates security risk

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/08/uk-should-not-criticise-irish-policy-on-ukrainian-refugees-says-tory-mp?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The article above is the guardian , but there were plenty written in many of the papers last week of patel criticising Irelands open door policy on ukrainian refugees and the implications for the uk.

Without going into the rights and wrongs of helping refugees , its interesting to see the problems of trying to maintain the CTA , and the different policies of two sovereign governments acorss these islands.

Can the uk , out of the EU , continue to maintain the CTA with pro EU ireland , and have different immigration policies over the medium to long term?

Surely the time has come to look at why we need to maintain a CTA within these islands , in light of what i have mentioned as well as the fact hopefully scotland may end the uk soon ?