Russian Vs Western Censorship And Propaganda

Started by Scott777, March 16, 2022, 06:28:24 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Scott777 on March 16, 2022, 06:28:24 PMNeed I mention Assange and Tommy Robinson, both imprisoned for speech, irrespective of whatever fake excuses they come up with.
You keep peddling this BS and you're just making yourself look stupid. 

Yaxley Lennon is inside for contempt of court, he defied a court order, he broke the law. Nothing to do with free speech. 

Assange is inside waiting the outcome of extradition proceedings. He comprised undercover agents lives. Again not free speech. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

B0ycey

It should be said that the UK didn't actually ban RT @Scott777, but it was a casualty of EU sanctions which stopped a feed here. But in any case, I agree with most of your post. When RT was running, things that were happening made much more sense when you had both sides of the story. Now you really need to read between the lines. There is no doubt we are being fed propaganda right now. Not so much false information but not all the information I guess. Key Western messages are being sent out and most are definitely not true or exaggerated. The hospital was being militarised, we are only told about pregnant ladies inside. The so called "stalling" of Russian troops surrounding of Keiv has absolutely nothing to do with Ukrainian success and everything to do with peace talks going well. The lady with the sign got a fine, at one point we made out she disappeared. Russia objectives were never about taking over Ukraine but denazification and NATO membership. If the talks are a success, Russia would have got everything they wanted out the war, but we must pretend that Russia are struggling right now and trying to save face. There are other things of course. And I am not saying that we in the West are the only ones spouting propaganda. But one thing I will say is this war isn't as clear cut as people think and is really a consequence of the West and Russia not having good dialogue and diplomacy a few months back when Russian security concerns were basically brushed off. That isn't to say I agree with the war. I do think that Russia should have pushed dialogue for a while longer. But in any case, things that were ignored are now being addressed and in the end the war will be a success for Russia and the West will pretend that democracy "won".

Scott777

It's a popular subject, and important in understanding the conflict in Ukraine and what should be done about it.  At the end of the day, both produce propaganda, and censor the media.  What's important is not who is worse, but perhaps just acknowledging the fact that to find the truth, you must look at all sides, and use critical thinking, rather than assumption.  If I have a go at the west, it's not because Russia is so great, it's because there is a biased belief in favour of the west which needs knocking down, in order to balance it out.  Bear in mind:

We banned RT before Russia banned any of our MSM.
Need I mention Assange and Tommy Robinson, both imprisoned for speech, irrespective of whatever fake excuses they come up with.

Arrested for hugging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udTvwRsIFSo

Arrested for speaking while exercising:
The rule was: you could be in the park, as long as it was for exercise.  There was no rule against speaking, and yet they enforced such a rule.  A clear demonstration that the rules were being enforced, not to protect people, but to clamp down on free speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGMPZnL6420

And I've no doubt people will say, oh yeah but there was a pandemic.  And I'm sure Putin thinks he has reasons which are just as good, such as safety and national security.  They all have a 'reason'.  But we are supposed to be the 'free world', and the excuses certainly did not justify the methods.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.