What is really happening in the Ukraine Conflict?

Started by Sampanviking, March 18, 2022, 01:00:53 AM

« previous - next »

Scott777

Quote from: Nick on June 15, 2022, 07:09:52 PM
but you can determine that this Belarusian is the one who is espousing the truth.

What are you suggesting?  Is he the only one telling the truth?  Why focus on him?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Nick

Quote from: Sampanviking on June 13, 2022, 12:13:07 PM
This channel is run by an ex military Belarussian and brings a lot of local and linguistic knowledge to his interpretations of official news and maps from both sides.
His daily videos have become essential viewing for me and those who want to know what is really happening on the ground should watch them as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlzXCa2xP8o
Belarusian, as in the Country that bends over and picks up the soap when Russia tells them to?
Essential Viewing? Have you ever been to Russia, Ukraine or Belarus? I think not, but you can determine that this Belarusian is the one who is espousing the truth.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Scott777 on June 15, 2022, 04:13:58 PM
Which wacky nutjob source did this conspiracy theory come from?  Do you spend much of your day finding this stuff?
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/russias-elite-plan-kill-putin-26513008

I get all daily newspapers and can access most business, financial and relevant technical journals — my employer pays, before you feel any compassion for the outlay...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Scott777

Quote from: patman post on June 09, 2022, 05:30:32 PM
I see there are reported rumours that Putin is likely to to be poisoned by unhappy Kremlin cohorts, 

Which wacky nutjob source did this conspiracy theory come from?  Do you spend much of your day finding this stuff?
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Baff

Quote from: patman post on June 09, 2022, 05:30:32 PM
While never admitting that I subscribed to any wishful thinking of fatal harm against any one person, I see there are reported rumours that Putin is likely to to be poisoned by unhappy Kremlin cohorts, and that he has pancreatic cancer. The latter I'd not wish on anybody as it's unlikely to be cured.

Whatever the truth of the above, let's hope Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine is over soon...

I think much the same fate awaits Zelensky if he loses.
It's not the Russians he needs to fear.

Baff

I like DPA the best for those open source war map shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsQvt9FFjjY
Defence Politics Asia.
A guy from Singapore.

Sampanviking

This channel is run by an ex military Belarussian and brings a lot of local and linguistic knowledge to his interpretations of official news and maps from both sides.
His daily videos have become essential viewing for me and those who want to know what is really happening on the ground should watch them as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlzXCa2xP8o

patman post

While never admitting that I subscribed to any wishful thinking of fatal harm against any one person, I see there are reported rumours that Putin is likely to to be poisoned by unhappy Kremlin cohorts, and that he has pancreatic cancer. The latter I'd not wish on anybody as it's unlikely to be cured.

Whatever the truth of the above, let's hope Russia's illegal invasion of Ukraine is over soon...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on May 29, 2022, 03:42:41 PM
I obviously forgot to say that although Russia seem to be winning, they are, of course, acting totally illegally.

That would appear to be the case.

Much to Sampanviking's delight, Putin the Prat is busy murdering his way across the Ukraine and looks set to extend the 8 year Donbas uprising by a few more decades.

According to the Independent, the Ukrainian army is now massively outnumbered by the Russian forces and low on ammunition and morale.

Hopefully a ceasefire will be hammered out soon.
Algerie Francais !

Sampanviking

Its been all to easy the last few days to get caught up in the phony Ukrainian Counter Offensive in Severodonetsk, the total car crash of a Counter Offensive near Kherson and the myriad and increasingly unlikely claims of battlefield success being peddled out of Kiev.

This contrasts against ongoing gains for the Russians on all fronts, especially in the Donbass, where entire cities have been given up without a fight and where Russian forces have been able to approach the Strategic City of Slavayansk from the North, able to cross the Severodonetsk River and advance with surprising speed.

Now here is a thing!
For those who are surprised by the speed of the ongoing advance from the Izium/Liman axis towards Slavyansk, here is what I am starting to hear that will explain it and which could have major ramifications for the Donbass campaign as a whole over the next few days.

It is being said that due to a mixture of the time of year, recent weather and control of critical dams by the Russians, that they have been able to control and therefore reduce in terms of flow and depth, the Severodonetsk river. This has massively increased the number of possible crossing points, by making it easier for Amphibious Vehicles and also creating a large number of fordable stretches.

IF the River no longer holds the Northern front of the salient for the Ukrainians, they could be in very serious trouble now.

Sampanviking

Quote from: Barry on May 29, 2022, 10:30:48 AM
Western sources seem to be bigging up the slightest good news for the Ukraine army, pretending things are OK, whilst Asian and Middle East news sources are saying that Russia is now advancing and that the news for Ukraine in general is very very bad.

I suppose the truth lies somewhere in between, but I don't see Ukraine winning.
Well Ukraine are winning the media war, but on the ground in the dirty bang! bang! war they are taking a hiding.
Severodonetsk is all but taken with the remaining Ukrainian forces fighting a rear guard action along the river as they try to cross it to Lysychansk on the side.
All considered though, I cannot believe that they will try to hang on there, but will try to get back to the line at Slavansk.
If they don't I would say its because running the gauntlet under Russian guns was to dangerous and/or because they no longer posses the means to try and escape other than on foot.
Either way it does look like a rout.

Elsewhere the Ukrainians have tried to counter attack in the direction of Kherson. There has been footage and photos put out by the Russian side that makes it look like an absolute disaster. Maybe the actual result is more nuanced, but we will have to wait and see. It does look though like a thrown together operation of none front line units, operating a real ratbag of old, donated or otherwise well below standard equipment. There is even footage of them towing Maxims on foot across a field!

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on May 29, 2022, 10:40:45 AMbut Putin is the invader.
Quote from: Good old on May 29, 2022, 02:27:19 PM
Russia is in someone else's country ,murdering its subjects ,and destroying its property. They shouldn't be ,it's a crime.
Quote from: Borchester on May 29, 2022, 11:14:42 AM
the only thing we can really rely on is that Putin's armies have invaded the Ukraine and they should not have.

I obviously forgot to say that although Russia seem to be winning, they are, of course, acting totally illegally.
† The end is nigh †

Good old

Quote from: Barry on May 29, 2022, 10:30:48 AM
Western sources seem to be bigging up the slightest good news for the Ukraine army, pretending things are OK, whilst Asian and Middle East news sources are saying that Russia is now advancing and that the news for Ukraine in general is very very bad.

I suppose the truth lies somewhere in between, but I don't see Ukraine winning.

I can not for the life of me understand why western sources would not big up Ukrainian efforts. 
One thing is  for sure , Russia, is paying dear for every inch it gains. And it ain't over till the fat lady sings.
The over riding  factor remains, Russia is in someone else's country ,murdering its subjects ,and destroying its property. They shouldn't be ,it's a crime.
And there is no reason to not big up Ukraine, it's the least we can do.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on May 29, 2022, 10:40:45 AM
Expecting any winners would be a mistake,Putin is flattening parts that will have to be rebuilt, it will cost the Ukraineand Russia but Putin is the invader.

Quite.

Both the Ukrainians and Russians are lying through their teeth, but the only thing we can really rely on is that Putin's armies have invaded the Ukraine and they should not have.
Algerie Francais !