Has somebody put something in the water?

Started by cromwell, March 24, 2022, 07:52:55 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on March 24, 2022, 10:52:14 AM
Ain't that the truth,compromise is something so often ignored.

LOL that is a classic from you. 
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on March 24, 2022, 09:05:20 AM
 The real truth - except in the Bible - is invariably somewhere in the middle.

True.

The sky genii can be a spiteful bastard at times, but happily most folk ignore the dimwitted old sod and manage to agree to differ.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on March 24, 2022, 09:05:20 AM
The word tolerance has gone from language. It's now my way or no way. Is that because people no longer feel that they have autonomy or privacy? Is it because people no longer feel that their view is valid simply because by voicing it some verbal hooligan will do their best to tell them they are idiots? Discussion has turned into a demand that one believes the other as if they are the only possessors of truth. The real truth - except in the Bible - is invariably somewhere in the middle. However the middle no longer exists in many people's psyche. It is one extreme or the other.

Life swings by a pendulum. One generation sees what went before, disapproves and swings the pendulum the other way, but so often swings it too hard and creates another problem which their kids try to redress. Compromise tends to be a dirty word while people determine that they will the 'stronger', 'braver', more important etc. We need to recognise and achieve balance - another word that has disappeared from the dictionary.
Ain't that the truth,compromise is something so often ignored.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

The word tolerance has gone from language. It's now my way or no way. Is that because people no longer feel that they have autonomy or privacy? Is it because people no longer feel that their view is valid simply because by voicing it some verbal hooligan will do their best to tell them they are idiots? Discussion has turned into a demand that one believes the other as if they are the only possessors of truth. The real truth - except in the Bible - is invariably somewhere in the middle. However the middle no longer exists in many people's psyche. It is one extreme or the other.

Life swings by a pendulum. One generation sees what went before, disapproves and swings the pendulum the other way, but so often swings it too hard and creates another problem which their kids try to redress. Compromise tends to be a dirty word while people determine that they will the 'stronger', 'braver', more important etc. We need to recognise and achieve balance - another word that has disappeared from the dictionary.

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent on March 24, 2022, 08:43:17 AM
In short the world is going to hell in a hand cart

I have the distinct feeling that in the past people used to be "left alone to get on with it" more. The state was a damn sight less intrusive

Something happened in the last what 20 years and not in a good way.

Well John there is something in what you say in that what we do or say even think is more restricted  but not to those who see themselves in authority.

johnofgwent

Quote from: cromwell on March 24, 2022, 07:52:55 AM
Why are people so unreasonable these days,it's not just on here and disagreements.

In short the world is going to hell in a hand cart

I have the distinct feeling that in the past people used to be "left alone to get on with it" more. The state was a damn sight less intrusive

Something happened in the last what 20 years and not in a good way.

I can't really put my finger on it but in short the bastards at the top seem to me wearing bigger jackboots than the bastards granddad's generation went out and killed en masse
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on March 24, 2022, 07:52:55 AM
Why are people so unreasonable these days,it's not just on here and disagreements.

People in high places have always lied but now it is blatant we did have some sort of standards where people resigned when caught out.

I'm not going in to the whole  pandemic argument but reason went out of the window,now with the Ukraine I see the same.

Even the politicians are frightened to meet the public ,Jo Cox and Sir David Amess both murdered for entirely different political reasons.....other than hate.

Whatever the issue now there's little thought of compromise or reason,you either are on side or the other and though it's good to question events and what happened or might everything is dissected now with little thought for reason.

Blimey, you don't live in my borough do you Ollie?

We have the local elections in a few weeks and every politician and her dog seems to be camped out on my doorstep.

I had a couple of beardies from some incomprehensible leftie outfit turn up and drone on. I don't know if they were telling the truth but they clearly thought that they were. Otherwise the local politicos just agree with everything I say. The real problem is that there is a shortage of causes to get their teeth into. The various parties started out promising us a new heaven and a new earth but appear to have settled down to the terrible realisation that all we really want is the restoration of the weekly rubbish collection. I tell you, it is a sad time to be a politician.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Why are people so unreasonable these days,it's not just on here and disagreements.

People in high places have always lied but now it is blatant we did have some sort of standards where people resigned when caught out.

I'm not going in to the whole  pandemic argument but reason went out of the window,now with the Ukraine I see the same.

Even the politicians are frightened to meet the public ,Jo Cox and Sir David Amess both murdered for entirely different political reasons.....other than hate.

Whatever the issue now there's little thought of compromise or reason,you either are on side or the other and though it's good to question events and what happened or might everything is dissected now with little thought for reason.