Just stop oil

Started by cromwell, April 01, 2022, 09:26:33 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Roger Hallam has been remanded in custody. I didn't know that when I revived this "JUST STOP OIL" thread earlier.
https://www.itv.com/news/london/2022-11-08/just-stop-oil-protesters-remanded-over-m25-disruption-plans-and-action

R.I.C. to Crown Court. That's more like it.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on November 08, 2022, 08:51:06 PM
Brexit has undoubtedly made a global situation even worse at the local UK level, and is the primary driver of med shortages.
I think Steve all this and by a long time pre dates brexit and not just the UK

https://medicalrepublic.com.au/real-reasons-drug-shortages/10976
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2022, 08:30:12 PM
You're damn right you don't dismiss any elements, you stack them firmly on something you disagreed with and voted against, even when evidence that an event is a global issue and not confined to the U.K. 
Brexit has undoubtedly made a global situation even worse at the local UK level, and is the primary driver of med shortages.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 08, 2022, 07:22:14 PM
Of course I follow the news. I just don't dismiss those elements that don't suit my narrative as you are wont to do.

I am well aware that some shortages occur elsewhere as well but Brexit is undoubtedly worsening this for us, and is definitely the primary reason behind med shortages
You're damn right you don't dismiss any elements, you stack them firmly on something you disagreed with and voted against, even when evidence that an event is a global issue and not confined to the U.K.  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on November 08, 2022, 06:34:28 PM
Other European countries can call upon a much larger pool of labour in the EU single market, with the guarantee of free movement.

In the UK, that flexibility is no longer available, and the labour shortage is affecting other industries as well — from food processing to fruit picking...
Yeah, I can see that!'

AMS was so busy interviewing people for ground staff positions they didn't have time to keep one of its two runways open. 

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2022, 05:48:53 PM
This Brexit truck driver shortage is terrible!! It's that bad as far as Australia is suffering, the US, and most of Europe also. It's that bad in Oz they're offering $150k to sign up.

Don't you read the news Steve?
Of course I follow the news. I just don't dismiss those elements that don't suit my narrative as you are wont to do.

I am well aware that some shortages occur elsewhere as well but Brexit is undoubtedly worsening this for us, and is definitely the primary reason behind med shortages
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

patman post

Other European countries can call upon a much larger pool of labour in the EU single market, with the guarantee of free movement.

In the UK, that flexibility is no longer available, and the labour shortage is affecting other industries as well — from food processing to fruit picking...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 08, 2022, 05:40:21 PM
To be honest the price of meat and fish is going through the roof. The smoked haddock I used to buy recently went up twice in two weeks and is now 40% more expensive. The sirloin steaks I occasionally buy have increased by 14%. Joints of beef and lamb have become unaffordable. Pork chops are now some 30% more expensive.

This tells me two things. Firstly, any decline in meat and fish consumption is likely to be economically motivated rather than due to any persuasion by eco-warriors. And secondly, any decline in consumption must still be smaller than any decline in supply, otherwise the prices would be coming down, not going up. Quite possibly any decline in consumption here is being more than cancelled out by increases in the consumption of meat and fish in the developing world, as more of them become able to afford to live on more than just rice and beans.

As far as shortages go, in my supermarket workplace I am forever noticing that certain products become randomly unavailable for days at a time, sometimes for weeks. There is never any explanation as to why other than supply issues. I suspect Brexit and lorry driver shortages both have far more to do with this than knobheads blocking roads.

It is not just food products sold in supermarkets either. It has proven impossible in recent weeks to get two of my vital meds supplied and have had to do the toing and froing between chemist and GP surgery - all fitting around work - arranging for substitutes. By the time I get them I have often done without the meds for several days which is playing fast and loose with my health. So medication shortages are becoming an issue too, in my experience.
This Brexit truck driver shortage is terrible!! It's that bad as far as Australia is suffering, the US, and most of Europe also. It's that bad in Oz they're offering $150k to sign up. 

Don't you read the news Steve?

johnofgwent

Quote from: srb7677 on November 08, 2022, 05:40:21 PM
To be honest the price of meat and fish is going through the roof. The smoked haddock I used to buy recently went up twice in two weeks and is now 40% more expensive. The sirloin steaks I occasionally buy have increased by 14%. Joints of beef and lamb have become unaffordable. Pork chops are now some 30% more expensive.

This tells me two things. Firstly, any decline in meat and fish consumption is likely to be economically motivated rather than due to any persuasion by eco-warriors. And secondly, any decline in consumption must still be smaller than any decline in supply, otherwise the prices would be coming down, not going up. Quite possibly any decline in consumption here is being more than cancelled out by increases in the consumption of meat and fish in the developing world, as more of them become able to afford to live on more than just rice and beans.

As far as shortages go, in my supermarket workplace I am forever noticing that certain products become randomly unavailable for days at a time, sometimes for weeks. There is never any explanation as to why other than supply issues. I suspect Brexit and lorry driver shortages both have far more to do with this than knobheads blocking roads.

It is not just food products sold in supermarkets either. It has proven impossible in recent weeks to get two of my vital meds supplied and have had to do the toing and froing between chemist and GP surgery - all fitting around work - arranging for substitutes. By the time I get them I have often done without the meds for several days which is playing fast and loose with my health. So medication shortages are becoming an issue too, in my experience.
But you voted remain didn't you. The Deatherendum plan is only supposed to take down us gammons ready for HDQQ's pals to rerun the referendum without us 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on November 08, 2022, 05:14:53 PM
Or alternatively there are food shortages because of tossers blocking roads,knob heads pouring milk away and idiots saying we are not allowed meat anymore.
There is a Ray Bradbury story, think it's him,  about a system in the future that tests adolescents when they get to a certain age. Their very being is evaluated and if they fail... It doesn't say. 

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 08, 2022, 05:14:53 PM
Or alternatively there are food shortages because of tossers blocking roads,knob heads pouring milk away and idiots saying we are not allowed meat anymore.

Nick

Quote from: Barry on November 08, 2022, 04:55:50 PM
It seems Roger Hallam is the man that the authorities need to watch.
He is radicalising people with this rubbish:

https://twitter.com/talktv/status/1589645665772404738
Is that you Lazarus? 😂 

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on November 08, 2022, 04:55:50 PM

Or alternatively there are food shortages because of tossers blocking roads,knob heads pouring milk away and idiots saying we are not allowed meat anymore.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote"They take your mother, put her on the table and gang rape her, then they take a hot stick and poke out your eyes."

Roger Hallam, one of the driving forces behind Just Stop Oil, warns what could happen if food shortages due to climate change lead to "social collapse".

† The end is nigh †