Just stop oil

Started by cromwell, April 01, 2022, 09:26:33 AM

« previous - next »

Baff

Quote from: patman post on November 09, 2022, 11:49:27 AM

(c) does the growing influence of citizen journalism pollute the pool of news and comment available to us all and lessen the ability to make valid judgements on the news and the credibility of the reporter, by the public and/ police...?
I tend to think the exact opposite.

I don't for example look at a Guardian reporter, a C4 reporter, a BBC reporter or a Daily Mail reporter and think to myself "Here is a credible reporter that I trust".
A professional liar vs an amateur liar?

A plurality of voices is preferred. The more the merrier.

Baff

Quote from: Nick on November 09, 2022, 04:53:54 AM
The EU has a tiny percentage share in Pharma, with Switzerland, the U.K. and US holding a large slice. Please explain how Brexit is affecting this market! Or maybe a pandemic lasting over 2 years might just be the driver.

Famously leaving the EU meant we couldn't get any vaccine.

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on November 09, 2022, 11:49:27 AM
It's been reported that journalists have been arrested while covering Stop Oil protests. LBC's Charlotte Lynch was one.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/police-shutting-down-free-media-lbc-reporter-arrested/

It appears she was arrested for collusion when she told the officers that she was, where she was, because she'd been told the night before by Stop Oil where the following day's protests would be.

This leaves me wondering:

(a) should she have informed police so that they could be prepared to deal with the disruption, and if not, should the seriousness of the potential crime affect any such decision,

(b) are journalists privileged members of society who should enjoy freedoms and benefits not available to others, and

(c) does the growing influence of citizen journalism pollute the pool of news and comment available to us all and lessen the ability to make valid judgements on the news and the credibility of the reporter, by the public and/ police...?

There is the rider that the police probably knew all about the protests  before they happened.

When you glue yourself to a motorway there is always the danger of getting a kicking from an irate motorist, so as often as not the protesters ring the police before they start. I have it on excellent authority ( my daughter, you name it, she is against it) that the most dangerous time at such events is between pissing everyone off and the arrival of the police,upon whom eco warriors are reliant if they are to go home or jail in one piece.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

It's been reported that journalists have been arrested while covering Stop Oil protests. LBC's Charlotte Lynch was one.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/police-shutting-down-free-media-lbc-reporter-arrested/

It appears she was arrested for collusion when she told the officers that she was, where she was, because she'd been told the night before by Stop Oil where the following day's protests would be.

This leaves me wondering:

(a) should she have informed police so that they could be prepared to deal with the disruption, and if not, should the seriousness of the potential crime affect any such decision,

(b) are journalists privileged members of society who should enjoy freedoms and benefits not available to others, and

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Barry on November 09, 2022, 09:56:28 AM
Why don't yous argue about the EU in a thread that isn't headed "JUST STOP OIL".
Perhaps it's the same aberration that diverts posters on the thread about nurses striking to covering military patrols in Belize and medical staff being shot.

On the other hand, it's probably just posting as the belly guides, caused by no real answer to salient points...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

I see that chaos has been caused this morning by these crazies where lorries have crashed and a copper hit. Perhaps that will bring focus to law and order minds.

Barry

Why don't yous argue about the EU in a thread that isn't headed "JUST STOP OIL". 
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on November 09, 2022, 06:42:56 AM
Wrong. I am fully capable of acknowledging things that have been made better by it but they tend to me more along the lines of an upside to the downside.

The resulting cheap Labour shortage is providing upward pressure on pay at last in some sectors. And it is not quite so easy for low paying employers to exploit cheap East European labour to drive down and keep down wages.

Now here's the test. Are you able to do the reverse and cite any downsides?
Test? I'm not at school and the reality is there are downsides to everything.

It seems to me at least that cooperation with our close neighbours is more difficult and let's face it in these dangerous times we do need to cooperate.

Always acknowledged that the common market was a great idea and what I and the majority voted for in the first referendum and regret the failure of British politicians to seek the approval of the people when signing treaties like Maastricht which fundamentally altered our whole political system  and who formulated the laws of our country.

Don't you think if they had we'd be in a totally different situation to where we are today and a much better one?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 09, 2022, 07:03:19 AM
That the Labour party supported mass immigration of said cheap labour was when they lost the blue collar vote . It always amazed me how a party that was supposed to promote policies for the working man supported  low wages
Under New Labour they ceased to be the party of the British working class, lost touch with them, assumed they no longer existed, and that they'd all become middle class, and became a bunch of middle class triumphalists. When the working classes complained about cheap foreign labour driving down their pay, on the one hand they used dubious statistics to deny this reality, and on the other they just called us all racists.

The divorce between Labour and the working class began under Blair, and became so pronounced that they had not the slightest clue that they might be driven to vote for Brexit, which came as a shock to them. But this itself just deepened their contempt for the working class. Because now, not only were we all supposed to be racists but we were all thick too. But the working classes are not all thick and can see all too clearly the widespread contempt for them in Labour party circles. 

Those of us who genuinely cared about the working class and were often part of it ourselves have been largely driven out of the party or just made to feel unwelcome
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on November 09, 2022, 06:42:56 AM
The resulting cheap Labour shortage is providing upward pressure on pay at last in some sectors. And it is not quite so easy for low paying employers to exploit cheap East European labour to drive down and keep down wages.

That the Labour party supported mass immigration of said cheap labour was when they lost the blue collar vote . It always amazed me how a party that was supposed to promote policies for the working man supported  low wages

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 08, 2022, 11:04:40 PM
Well Stevethe reverse could be said of those who voted remain.
Wrong. I am fully capable of acknowledging things that have been made better by it but they tend to me more along the lines of an upside to the downside.

Now here's the test. Are you able to do the reverse and cite any downsides?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on November 08, 2022, 08:51:06 PM
Brexit has undoubtedly made a global situation even worse at the local UK level, and is the primary driver of med shortages.
The EU has a tiny percentage share in Pharma, with Switzerland, the U.K. and US holding a large slice. Please explain how Brexit is affecting this market! Or maybe a pandemic lasting over 2 years might just be the driver.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Red Rackham

Quote from: Barry on November 08, 2022, 10:07:19 PM
Roger Hallam has been remanded in custody. I didn't know that when I revived this "JUST STOP OIL" thread earlier.
https://www.itv.com/news/london/2022-11-08/just-stop-oil-protesters-remanded-over-m25-disruption-plans-and-action

R.I.C. to Crown Court. That's more like it.
Excellent news. Hallam and his buddies probably expected a ticking off from the magistrate, naughty boys don't do it again off you go. I couldn't believe it when I read the magistrate had not only remanded them for Crown Court, but remanded them in custody lol, I literally laughed out loud. The icing on the cake would be for the judge to send them down for a couple of years. I believe they face 5 years max. If only.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on November 08, 2022, 10:25:55 PM
Those who have supported, championed, argued for and voted for Brexit from the very beginning seem temperamentally incapable of acknowledging the fact that some things might have been made worse by it. Funny that.
Well Stevethe reverse could be said of those who voted remain.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on November 08, 2022, 09:59:28 PM
I think Steve all this and by a long time pre dates brexit and not just the UK

https://medicalrepublic.com.au/real-reasons-drug-shortages/10976
Those who have supported, championed, argued for and voted for Brexit from the very beginning seem temperamentally incapable of acknowledging the fact that some things might have been made worse by it. Funny that.