Reducing power consumption

Started by T00ts, April 02, 2022, 11:51:57 AM

« previous - next »

Thomas

along with the leccy and gas going through the roof...............

:D
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on April 02, 2022, 12:27:37 PM
Actually, the whole business has been a bit odd.

My power supplier is British Gas, which appears to be run by a bunch of not very bright and extremely slow computers. I send in a reading and bugger all happens until the next billing date. but I have gotten a few estimates which suggests I will be paying them between £200 - £400 extra this year, which is livable.

Whatever happens I will put the extra cash in premium bonds and wait until the end of the year before I settle up.
Thats sounds fairly cheap , a projected £200 to £400 price rise for the year borkie?

Im hearing people say they are currnetly paying around  £2k a year and payments projected to go up to £6 k.

I think if thats true , people going from around £160 a month duel fuel to £480 than thats a sore blow that is going to cause uproar.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on April 02, 2022, 12:31:26 PM
Done the checks too. The only constantly connected items we have are the central heating timer, fridge-freezer, oven digital display, and wi-fi. Land-line phones are all hard wired and are VoIP through the wi-fi. Everything else is disconnected when not in use.

One of our best discoveries in our quest for energy saving has been led bulkhead lights which we've fitted in the kitchen and bathroom. The first low-energy lighting we had always needed additional lamps for reading or detailed work. The leds are about as good as daylight, and dimmable if that's too bright...

The real problem seems to be that British Gas is a Mickey Mouse that barely has any staff, and those it has are just agency dimwits who read off scripts. So I will stash away a few quid each month and settle up when the baliff bangs on the door.

But I am buggered if I will sit in the cold. Apart from anything else I have a pile of seeds I am starting off and I can afford for the temperatures to fall too much.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Done the checks too. The only constantly connected items we have are the central heating timer, fridge-freezer, oven digital display, and wi-fi. Land-line phones are all hard wired and are VoIP through the wi-fi. Everything else is disconnected when not in use.

One of our best discoveries in our quest for energy saving has been led bulkhead lights which we've fitted in the kitchen and bathroom. The first low-energy lighting we had always needed additional lamps for reading or detailed work. The leds are about as good as daylight, and dimmable if that's too bright...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on April 02, 2022, 11:51:57 AM
I dutifully read my meter and today Octapus have updated my account. This prompted me to start looking around the house to see what is currently using power that I don't need 24/7. These are things that are on standby etc. Any thoughts?

3 telephones
3 TVs
microwave
Cooker
wifi
laptop
alarm clock
battery chargers

That's all I can see at present so it would seem to me sensible to just turn them on at the plug when I need them. I might go back to a wind up alarm clock!

Actually, the whole business has been a bit odd.

My power supplier is British Gas, which appears to be run by a bunch of not very bright and extremely slow computers. I send in a reading and bugger all happens until the next billing date. but I have gotten a few estimates which suggests I will be paying them between £200 - £400 extra this year, which is livable.

Whatever happens I will put the extra cash in premium bonds and wait until the end of the year before I settle up. 
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

I dutifully read my meter and today Octapus have updated my account. This prompted me to start looking around the house to see what is currently using power that I don't need 24/7. These are things that are on standby etc. Any thoughts?

3 telephones
3 TVs
microwave
Cooker
wifi
laptop
alarm clock
battery chargers

That's all I can see at present so it would seem to me sensible to just turn them on at the plug when I need them. I might go back to a wind up alarm clock!