Australian Fires

Started by T00ts, December 31, 2019, 09:01:51 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Look what I found Cromwell:

https://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/110193.pdf?v=c77f06e782d33a2ec8bf00d7c597ea10">//https://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/document/110193.pdf?v=c77f06e782d33a2ec8bf00d7c597ea10

Just for those whipper snappers who have not a clue of what we speak. :shock:
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Barry post_id=12609 time=1578567187 user_id=51
^^ good post Cromwell. :hattip

How times have changed.

Remember the "Protect and survive" leaflets? I was more impressionable in those days and I was really concerned, wondered if we were being responsible having kids. Now thanks to those kids we have 5 grandkids and they don't seem to have the same qualms.

Now society seems to promote the hidden badges!

Yes and I have one of those type of leaflets,in the section which says make a refuge room and advised chairs,camp beds,sewing and knitting and toys and games for the kids.

If caught in the open when there's a blast lie in a ditch or a fold in the ground

:o
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: Barry post_id=12577 time=1578519509 user_id=51
From a GWPF email I received today:

Christine Finlay has been sounding the alarm on bushfires in Australia for more than a decade after tracking the relationship ­between reduced cool burning and the frequency of firestorms. And the Queensland-based fire ­researcher, who charted a century of archival bushfire records for her PhD, has long been screaming danger. Finlay's thesis examined problem bushfires between 1881 and 1981. What she found after plotting the historical data on a graph was that there was a marked increase in the size and frequency of fires after 1919. This was when bushfire-reduction operations increasingly moved away from traditional indigenous practices such as low-­intensity cool burning. "For years, I energetically sent this predictive model to government agencies, in particular bushfire services, the media, coronial and parliamentary inquiries and so on," she says. "Horribly ­ignored, it proved horribly accurate."

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=12609 time=1578567187 user_id=51

Remember the "Protect and survive" leaflets?

I have one of those somewhere plus my mother's still classified Civil Defence manual.

Both could be more realistically be called In The Event of a Nuclear Attack Bend Down and Kiss Your Arse Goodbye.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

^^ good post Cromwell. :hattip

How times have changed.

Remember the "Protect and survive" leaflets? I was more impressionable in those days and I was really concerned, wondered if we were being responsible having kids. Now thanks to those kids we have 5 grandkids and they don't seem to have the same qualms.

Now society seems to promote the hidden badges!
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: Barry post_id=12577 time=1578519509 user_id=51

Christine Finlay has been sounding the alarm on bushfires in Australia for more than a decade after tracking the relationship ­between reduced cool burning and the frequency of firestorms. And the Queensland-based fire ­researcher, who charted a century of archival bushfire records for her PhD, has long been screaming danger. Finlay's thesis examined problem bushfires between 1881 and 1981. What she found after plotting the historical data on a graph was that there was a marked increase in the size and frequency of fires after 1919. This was when bushfire-reduction operations increasingly moved away from traditional indigenous practices such as low-­intensity cool burning. "For years, I energetically sent this predictive model to government agencies, in particular bushfire services, the media, coronial and parliamentary inquiries and so on," she says. "Horribly ­ignored, it proved horribly accurate."

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: T00ts post_id=11631 time=1577783870 user_id=54
So has it always been so or is it a sign that people in general are no longer biddable? Do we believe now that we are so informed that we can ignore any advice?

I think that it is because the authorities have been found lying to us so many times in the recent past, that it is difficult to know if we can trust them.

I hope there are no sharks in that part of the sea.  :shock:
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=11631 time=1577783870 user_id=54
So has it always been so or is it a sign that people in general are no longer biddable? Do we believe now that we are so informed that we can ignore any advice?

Personally I think it is a sign people are becoming more stupid, because most people are so insulated from the real world they lack threat perception.

I come across examples of it on a near daily basis.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=11629 time=1577783502 user_id=89
Locally here in West Cornwall deaths of tourists because they ignore advice , warning notices and very obvious risky situations are a regular occurrence.

papasmurf

Locally here in West Cornwall deaths of tourists because they ignore advice , warning notices and very obvious risky situations are a regular occurrence.

T00ts

The Australian fires story has featured for an age. The horror of them thousands of miles away as I watch the news makes me nervous so how can 4000 people presume that they needed to ignore the advice to evacuate their holiday spot? This morning they are supposed to be in the sea while the fire rages around them.

My heart goes out to them but why put themselves in danger? Did they think the authorities were exaggerating?