Russia stops gas supply

Started by T00ts, April 27, 2022, 09:34:53 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 27, 2022, 05:34:08 PM
Yeah but do you think only the US thinks pissing with its energy supplies is an act of war ??
It is hardly a casus belli for war. The cutting off of the gas was warned as happening if it was not paid for in roubles. They didn't, so the gas was cut off.
Fair warning of a business deal. Not an act of war.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 27, 2022, 05:34:08 PM
Yeah but do you think only the US thinks pissing with its energy supplies is an act of war ??
No though  I think most  would rather pay more for it  than go to war over it . 

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 27, 2022, 11:01:36 AM
Putin is trying to drive a wedge between countries with regard what sanctions they are supporting .  Removing the gas supply is not an attack it is a self inflicted sanction . 
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: Sampanviking on April 27, 2022, 04:52:02 PM
If you don't pay your gas bill, you get cut off.
All they need to do is pay in Rubles.
But hey, no one is forcing them to buy Russian gas and they are more than welcome to take their business elsewhere.
Ukraine is paying in a lot of rubble courtesy of sputum.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sampanviking

If you don't pay your gas bill, you get cut off.
All they need to do is pay in Rubles.
But hey, no one is forcing them to buy Russian gas and they are more than welcome to take their business elsewhere.

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on April 27, 2022, 04:33:58 PM
Is anyone really that surprised?

The EU and Nato are materially supporting Ukraine in fighting off Russia's invasion, and they're complaining when Putin stops supplying their gas...
Not really , it was always going to happen down the road so the west may as well have stopped buying it on day one . 

patman post

Is anyone really that surprised?

The EU and Nato are materially supporting Ukraine in fighting off Russia's invasion, and they're complaining when Putin stops supplying their gas...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

It looks like whatever Putin has done he has done it well.

The rouble is now in better shape than before the invasion.

Vlad may be shit in an iron bucket, but it has to be said that book keeper wise, he has his moments
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on April 27, 2022, 03:00:51 PM
No point selling if everyone is paying in Euro's and you can't access the cash due to SWIFT !!
Oh yes I had forgotten about that.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on April 27, 2022, 09:34:53 AM
It is reported that Russia has turned off the taps supplying gas to both Poland and Bulgaria. As I understand it they are NATO countries. Is this Russia poking the worm with a stick in order to make circumstances that 'justify' NATO properly getting involved? They say Putin is sick. Does he know that he has limited time and wants to go out in what he would term a blaze of glory?
No point selling if everyone is paying in Euro's and you can't access the cash due to SWIFT !!
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Yes he has tested the waters and discovered that far from intimidating his neighbours they've been prompted in two cases to join NATO.

It's also probably seen an increase in defence spending.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Good old on April 27, 2022, 11:16:03 AM
I think he considers , the populations of the western nations, as soft in their comfort zones. He seeks to cause disruption in the harmony that is being shown by NATO countries, by making what in effect is his version of sanctions on their populations. I think Putin, has never stopped testing the water , it's most likely we should have indicated to him how hot that water could be at least as far back as 2014. As it stands it's his call , NATO will only  turn up the heat as a response, to his armed aggression, and that is in motion, in so much as individual countries many NATO, are supporting Ukraine in any way they can.
I agree the West has been duped for years by a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Good old

Quote from: T00ts on April 27, 2022, 10:50:47 AM
I wonder at what point NATO will consider it as an attack on a NATO country, or is Putin testing the waters.

I think he considers , the populations of the western nations, as soft in their comfort zones. He seeks to cause disruption in the harmony that is being shown by NATO countries, by making what in effect is his version of sanctions on their populations. I think Putin, has never stopped testing the water , it's most likely we should have indicated to him how hot that water could be at least as far back as 2014. As it stands it's his call , NATO will only  turn up the heat as a response, to his armed aggression, and that is in motion, in so much as individual countries many NATO, are supporting Ukraine in any way they can.

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on April 27, 2022, 11:01:36 AM
Putin is trying to drive a wedge between countries with regard what sanctions they are supporting .  Removing the gas supply is not an attack it is a self inflicted sanction . 
I see that but although the NATO countries are making their support on a unilateral basis on the surface surely they do so in the knowledge that that they have NATO protection should the worst happen. Putin knows this so is hitting them below that radar. Stopping the gas will have an adverse humanitarian and economic affect. My thought is that Putin might be looking to see just how far he can go before NATO roars.

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on April 27, 2022, 10:50:47 AM
I wonder at what point NATO will consider it as an attack on a NATO country, or is Putin testing the waters.
Putin is trying to drive a wedge between countries with regard what sanctions they are supporting .   Removing the gas supply is not an attack it is a self inflicted sanction .