Main Menu

P&O adrift

Started by T00ts, April 27, 2022, 09:46:44 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on April 29, 2022, 08:48:09 PM
You clearly have no experience of the Welsh Office prior to devolution.

One Christmas I had a call from the missus terrified that half the Radiological Certification department would go blind because of the home made and heavily methanolic "moonshine" the utter nutters in Export Credit Guarantee had brought to the Xmas Bash.

I sprinted over from my research lab on the other side of Cathay's Park, bringing the animal House technician and a gallon of the finest the biochemistry and microbiology student society could rustle up, assayed the ass holes on the spot realised the danger they were in and took them to the brink of death by ethanol poisoning with our freeze dried home brew (what is the point of a first class honours in biochemistry and a mate with the same in microbiol if you cannot put your skills to use) to prevent them going blind from the methanol in their amateur shit.

When the medics arrived the conversation went a bit like

"You did WHAT"

"Do the blood assay yourself they were going to wake up blind"

"f**k Me So They Were. Hey have you got any more of YOUR stuff ??"

"A pleasure to be of help to the boys and girls in green" we said as we handed over several half pint bottles and went to get a box more .... "But best wait until you're off shift, at home, and add a minimum of an equal measure of fruit juice. And a very merry Christmas to you all"

Are we talking about the old ferment anything. shove it into the deep freeze and when it is solid, drive in a hot poker to release the alcohol lark? I often wondered what happened to the higher alcohols but it never seemed to matter when we were young

Happy days
:)
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on April 27, 2022, 03:32:33 PM
Give us a break Ollie. The point of a cruise is for the oldies to be pampered rotten and for everyone else to have a high old time, particularly when the crew broach cargo.

Can you imagine any government department organising that?
You clearly have no experience of the Welsh Office prior to devolution.

One Christmas I had a call from the missus terrified that half the Radiological Certification department would go blind because of the home made and heavily methanolic "moonshine" the utter nutters in Export Credit Guarantee had brought to the Xmas Bash.

I sprinted over from my research lab on the other side of Cathay's Park, bringing the animal House technician and a gallon of the finest the biochemistry and microbiology student society could rustle up, assayed the ass holes on the spot realised the danger they were in and took them to the brink of death by ethanol poisoning with our freeze dried home brew (what is the point of a first class honours in biochemistry and a mate with the same in microbiol if you cannot put your skills to use) to prevent them going blind from the methanol in their amateur shit.

When the medics arrived the conversation went a bit like

"You did WHAT"

"Do the blood assay yourself they were going to wake up blind"

"f**k Me So They Were. Hey have you got any more of YOUR stuff ??"

"A pleasure to be of help to the boys and girls in green" we said as we handed over several half pint bottles and went to get a box more .... "But best wait until you're off shift, at home, and add a minimum of an equal measure of fruit juice. And a very merry Christmas to you all"

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on April 27, 2022, 11:00:38 AM
Not really Toots. Horrified that is. P&) is just a branch of the catering trade and the ships floating hotels and as such has always relied on cheap foreign labour. I was on a ship once where the captain settled a dispute with the crew by aiming a Webley Mars pistol at one of the ring leaders and asking what the fuss was about. Happy days.

But the problem is, as you say, cheap labour isn't cheap enough. So if anyone wants to go on a cruise they had better expect some hefty price increases.
In exactly the same way that McDonalds isn't a fast food joint, it's a real estate business, as that is where they make the vast majority of their money. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Give us a break Ollie. The point of a cruise is for the oldies to be pampered rotten and for everyone else to have a high old time, particularly when the crew broach cargo.

Have you been on the sauce......again? :P T00ts already pointed out we're talking about P&O ferries not gods waiting room trips.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

I thought that was what the NHS was for.

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on April 27, 2022, 12:28:35 PM
Said it on the other thread iirc the ships should be seized and publicly operated.

Algerie Francais !

patman post

Employers who upset Government departments and the RMT should expect to find themselves under intense scrutiny and subject, unexplained hitches and mechanical failures, and possible misinformation fed to news media and social media.

Kafkaesque, or what...?

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on April 27, 2022, 11:49:48 AM
I have looked at it again and it does appear to be the ferries.
Said it on the other thread iirc the ships should be seized and publicly operated.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: T00ts on April 27, 2022, 11:10:15 AM
Is there some confusion here on my part? I thought there were 2 P&Os 1) the cruise line 2) the ferries. I understood that they weren't related.  I thought the ship adrift yesterday was of the ferry line.
I have looked at it again and it does appear to be the ferries.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on April 27, 2022, 11:00:38 AM
Not really Toots. Horrified that is. P&) is just a branch of the catering trade and the ships floating hotels and as such has always relied on cheap foreign labour. I was on a ship once where the captain settled a dispute with the crew by aiming a Webley Mars pistol at one of the ring leaders and asking what the fuss was about. Happy days.

But the problem is, as you say, cheap labour isn't cheap enough. So if anyone wants to go on a cruise they had better expect some hefty price increases.
Is there some confusion here on my part? I thought there were 2 P&Os 1) the cruise line 2) the ferries. I understood that they weren't related.  I thought the ship adrift yesterday was of the ferry line.

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on April 27, 2022, 09:46:44 AM
We were all pretty horrified when P&O sacked all their staff and shipped in much cheaper foreign staff. Since then their business model has proved pretty stupid. First their new recruits were deemed incompetent and not allowed to sail. Then I heard the other day that even these cheap sailors had been asked to accept a wage reduction. Then yesterday a ferry went awol in the Irish sea for a couple of hours until the RNLI managed to rescue it. I now hear that those cheap sailors who are apparently not cheap enough, went on strike. I wonder if P&O has yet realised that slave labour is not too reliable? Any regrets P&O?

Algerie Francais !

T00ts

We were all pretty horrified when P&O sacked all their staff and shipped in much cheaper foreign staff. Since then their business model has proved pretty stupid. First their new recruits were deemed incompetent and not allowed to sail. Then I heard the other day that even these cheap sailors had been asked to accept a wage reduction. Then yesterday a ferry went awol in the Irish sea for a couple of hours until the RNLI managed to rescue it. I now hear that those cheap sailors who are apparently not cheap enough, went on strike. I wonder if P&O has yet realised that slave labour is not too reliable? Any regrets P&O?